Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #16
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Softmaker Office just released their 2021 version of Android office software. Best free Android office software I've seen. Been using their beta for months and I'm impressed with it. Just search for Softmaker in the Google app store.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Except the problems with Android for writing are:
Erratic ability for file browsing
Erratic ability for external storage
Erratic ability for multi-window, at best two.
Erratic ability to Print
Erratic ability to browse the local server
Some versions don't support other than US physical keyboard.
Mostly screen is too small.

Android is OK for notes. Rubbish for serious writing inc a window with characters, places, plot, events etc. It's a never finished OS still poorer usability for content creation than Win 3.1
A cheap 1920 x 1080 laptop with LibreOffice (Calc for Timelines) running Windows or Linux Mint can cost less and is far more functional. My 2000 (NT4 and later upgraded to Win2K 1400 x 1050) and 2002 (XP 1600x1200) laptops still go and beat Android for writing, though replaced in 2016 with Linux Mint (1920 x 1080). I did use MS Word for 14 years. Before that a Wordstar clone since early 1980s. I use control panels and zero toolbars in the Writer window. On Windows Notepad++ for tabbed notes was replace with KATE on Linux.

I've tried various actual Office SW on 10" Android. Removed it. I use Jota for notes on phone, 7" tablet, 7.8" eInk Mars and 10" Lenovo tablet. Plain text that imports fine to laptop.

A decent bigger than 10" Android tablet costs more than an adequate laptop with 512G HDD or 256G SSD before you add the 256 G micro SD card. Also some Android tablets only take 32G SD card, or none.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #18
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Works fine for me. I save to Google Drive. Can write drafts in Google Docs. Use Softmaker Office when I want more formatting and other features. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use a 10" tablet. Softmaker Office on Android looks like and works like their software on my Windows Desktop and the Linux version on my laptop.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
salamanderjuice
Addict
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Except the problems with Android for writing are:
Erratic ability for file browsing
Erratic ability for external storage
Erratic ability for multi-window, at best two.
Erratic ability to Print
Erratic ability to browse the local server
Some versions don't support other than US physical keyboard.
Mostly screen is too small.

Android is OK for notes. Rubbish for serious writing inc a window with characters, places, plot, events etc. It's a never finished OS still poorer usability for content creation than Win 3.1
A cheap 1920 x 1080 laptop with LibreOffice (Calc for Timelines) running Windows or Linux Mint can cost less and is far more functional. My 2000 (NT4 and later upgraded to Win2K 1400 x 1050) and 2002 (XP 1600x1200) laptops still go and beat Android for writing, though replaced in 2016 with Linux Mint (1920 x 1080). I did use MS Word for 14 years. Before that a Wordstar clone since early 1980s. I use control panels and zero toolbars in the Writer window. On Windows Notepad++ for tabbed notes was replace with KATE on Linux.

I've tried various actual Office SW on 10" Android. Removed it. I use Jota for notes on phone, 7" tablet, 7.8" eInk Mars and 10" Lenovo tablet. Plain text that imports fine to laptop.

A decent bigger than 10" Android tablet costs more than an adequate laptop with 512G HDD or 256G SSD before you add the 256 G micro SD card. Also some Android tablets only take 32G SD card, or none.
Different strokes for different folks. I wrote a good chunk of my MSc. Thesis on a 10" tablet. Granted it was Windows but it was done entirely in Emacs which runs fine in Termux on Android and stuff like LaTeX works fine there too. Even does most of your list with the ability for browsing files and multiple panes. If you're happy with a 10" device there's a crazy number of cheap devices. I rarely find myself needing more than 2 windows open at once.

Very few Android devices are actually limited to 32GB microSD cards. It's just that they don't want to pay Microsoft for the patents to exFAT that the SD Association stupidly picked to be the default format for SDXC. You just format the card to FAT32 and it works.

I can't imagine web browsing on a 20+ year old laptop even running an updated version of Linux and lightweight browser is a great experience compared to even a cheap tablet.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 3a.
I'm not sure what the e-ink requirement does to your search, but I write on my Samsung Galaxy 10A (2019) all the time using a BT keyboard case and BT mouse. I didn't know about the 10.1-inch requirement for MS office on Android tablets. But it works very well.

Have you looked at yWriter for Android? It costs $5 US, and it isn't quite the app that the Windows app is, but I have it, it's OK, and works well.

I know you have rejected online apps but I think Wavemaker is very good. It's free, works with a free Google drive account and is VERY reliable.

BTW, it works offline as well.

WaveMaker Cards

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-18-2021 at 02:07 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote