Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #46
Lili102
Lili102 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000T6 (so PW4?)
Hi. I am new to all this, but want to jailbreak my Kindle PaperWhite (G000T608).

I read some posts on this forum and realized that I made the mistake of accidentally downloading an update before I learned of jailbreaking. The firmware on my kindle is now 5.11.2

Is it still possible to jailbreak it and if yes, please teach me how!
Lili102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Yup, that was my train of thought.

After all, a production firmware on an OOB Kindle is essentially a factory firmware run through the "ship it!" special shutdown script .

@Lili102: Double-posting is seriously frowned upon, see your other post for an anwser.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
After all, a production firmware on an OOB Kindle is essentially a factory firmware run through the "ship it!" special shutdown script .
I've been wondering about this. I was trying to find what files shipping mode leaves behind or deletes but all I found was whitelist/graylist for the data partition.

I've got jailbroken PW4 that I'd like to keep on 5.10.0.2 because the battery percentage annoys me. Unfortunately, no OTA download for that version. Would running ;shpm retain jailbreak?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd have to actually look into the process again, because I think the last time I did was on a Kindle Touch... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd have to actually look into the process again, because I think the last time I did was on a Kindle Touch... .
Took the plunge. Jailbreak persists.
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 04:13 AM   #51
NRB73
NRB73 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW4
I just got my hopes up, then realised this doesn't work for my KT3 running FW 5.11.1.1 which I'd love to JB.

I'm also in the market for a new illuminated Kindle and was planning on getting a PW4, but with the new KT4 I'm wondering whether it's necessary to spend the extra? I generally read books (not comics) so not sure whether the extra resolution would make a difference. I guess the risk of buying a PW4 vs KT4 is that the PW4 may come with un-jailbreakable FW, right? So confused!

Well done on the new JB though.
NRB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Are you happy with your KT3’s display resolution? If yes, then KT4 is already a nice upgrade. No need to go up to PW4.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #53
awelow
awelow began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hi all! First I want to congratulate you for the work, it is truly awesome.

I have a PW4, with the fw 5.10.1.3. I read the wiki and the forum a lot and I have a question. I have fully functional JB, with the hotfix, and kual+ and helper+ (according to the recommendations of @ilovejedd to prevent updates).

According to the wiki and the instructions for JB, they recommend after installing the hotfix, update the fw.

Is it safe to update to the last fw? I think it's 5.11.2. Because if I have to update, I do not understand so that updates with kual + and helper + are prevented.

I have used Koreader, it is configured so that as a screensaver the book that is being read appears, after a night in standby and 1 hour of reading, it has consumed 15-20% of battery. It is normal?
awelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #54
NRB73
NRB73 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW4
@ilovejedd: Yeah, I am.

I had a PW4 with Japanese Special Offers that couldn't be removed, so I sold it to someone else last week. TBH I couldn't see a difference, in fact the KT3 looked better to me without the plastic screen as part of the waterproofing - the plastic screen seemed to wash out the text blackness.
NRB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #55
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by awelow View Post
Hi all! First I want to congratulate you for the work, it is truly awesome.

I have a PW4, with the fw 5.10.1.3. I read the wiki and the forum a lot and I have a question. I have fully functional JB, with the hotfix, and kual+ and helper+ (according to the recommendations of @ilovejedd to prevent updates).

According to the wiki and the instructions for JB, they recommend after installing the hotfix, update the fw.

Is it safe to update to the last fw? I think it's 5.11.2. Because if I have to update, I do not understand so that updates with kual + and helper + are prevented.

I have used Koreader, it is configured so that as a screensaver the book that is being read appears, after a night in standby and 1 hour of reading, it has consumed 15-20% of battery. It is normal?
It is safe to update the most recent version.
As a matter of reduced effort, it would have been easier if you had update the firmware after installing the hotfix and before installing anything else.
But no matter, you just have to re-install all add-ins after doing the update. (Only the jb and the hotfix survives the update, everything else needs to be re-installed.)

The battery consumption is normal for the factory use only firmware.
That is; factory use only firmware is only intended to test the Kindle while on the factory.
It is the customer use firmware builds that are suppose to work for the customer (rather than for Q.A. on the factory).

TL;DR:
Update the current firmware and then re-install anything that breaks.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #56
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelow View Post

It's mostly the automatic updates we try to avoid.

Did you use the Prevent OTA Updates in the Helper+ add-on? That made a big difference in battery drain on my PW4. It creates both the blocking directory and a SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK file.

The PW4 is very aggressive phoning home and checking for updates. The update.bin.tmp.partial folder only blocks updates from downloading. The SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK file prevents it from phoning home (which uses a lot of battery).
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #57
awelow
awelow began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is safe to update the most recent version.
As a matter of reduced effort, it would have been easier if you had update the firmware after installing the hotfix and before installing anything else.
But no matter, you just have to re-install all add-ins after doing the update. (Only the jb and the hotfix survives the update, everything else needs to be re-installed.)
Now I understand. We prevent automatic updates so they do not automatically delete the plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's mostly the automatic updates we try to avoid.

Did you use the Prevent OTA Updates in the Helper+ add-on? That made a big difference in battery drain on my PW4. It creates both the blocking directory and a SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK file.

The PW4 is very aggressive phoning home and checking for updates. The update.bin.tmp.partial folder only blocks updates from downloading. The SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK file prevents it from phoning home (which uses a lot of battery).
It was not normal what I spent on the battery, it was as I said knc1, for using the factory fw, I suppose.

PS: I already have it updated 5.11.1 by OTA, and functional. Thanks for the answers! As I said, an amazing job. I will remain active through the forum!
awelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #58
edumariano
edumariano began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW4
Hi!
I have a KP4 and wanted to try Koreader and did th JB.
It worked sucessfully, but now, when a I try to open a AZW3 doc in Kindle it got a error message that could open the application.

There's a way to remove the JB, and revert to factory ?
edumariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #59
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by edumariano View Post
Hi!
I have a KP4 and wanted to try Koreader and did th JB.
It worked sucessfully, but now, when a I try to open a AZW3 doc in Kindle it got a error message that could open the application.

There's a way to remove the JB, and revert to factory ?
So why don't you fix your problem rather than throw everything away?

There is no reason to remove the JB, it is only a single signature certificate file (250 bytes).

You DO NOT "revert to factory" - these grayscale Kindles do not run Android (or iOS).
There is no saved or stored version of the original firmware such that a cellphone might use.

I can not tell from your post, since you do not post details of each thing you have done and the result of each.

But since you have a confusion about "factory" firmware and you had to install one of our "factory" firmwares to perform the jailbreak ...
I am guessing that you never did update to the "consumer" firmware.
Please post ALL of the details of what you have done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #60
edumariano
edumariano began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW4
Thanks knc1,

I`ll try to detail a little better.

I did all the procedures.
I installed the version PW4: 5.10.1.3: (factory_PW4_5.10.1.3_initial)
then I did the JB using the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz method.
After that I did the JB Fix.

Installed the mrpi and the Kual (via ;log mrpi).
After that I installed the Koreader (put the packages onto root dir) and open it on Kual.

It worked, but could open any epub file. It keeps loading forever.

On the Kindle default App, they got the error message that application could not be open. ( Sorry my english)
edumariano is offline   Reply With Quote