Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Maxcartauser1
Maxcartauser1 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Carta
Exclamation Max Carta not working "Unfortunately .... has stopped"

I bought a Boox Max Carta last week and for some reason. One day randomly, when I tried to turn it on, it booted up so slowly. I shut it down several times. Now it says "unfortunately, process com.google process.gapps has stopped" then "unfortunately contentbrowser has stopped" then "unfortunately, android keyboard has stopped" and some other message in Chinese pops up. After pressed OK a million times hoping it would finish, it doesn't, just keeps popping up straight after one after another! I can't use this dreaded anymore until these messages stop appearing. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only had this ereader for 5 days!! And there's no support for it in Australia! I also tried shutting it down and rebooting, connecting to my computer (which worked okay) can't find a solution?!?!?
Maxcartauser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxcartauser1 View Post
I bought a Boox Max Carta last week and for some reason. One day randomly, when I tried to turn it on, it booted up so slowly. I shut it down several times. Now it says "unfortunately, process com.google process.gapps has stopped" then "unfortunately contentbrowser has stopped" then "unfortunately, android keyboard has stopped" and some other message in Chinese pops up. After pressed OK a million times hoping it would finish, it doesn't, just keeps popping up straight after one after another! I can't use this dreaded anymore until these messages stop appearing. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only had this ereader for 5 days!! And there's no support for it in Australia! I also tried shutting it down and rebooting, connecting to my computer (which worked okay) can't find a solution?!?!?
May be you have downloaded an app from Play Store?, don't use any app from there, it's not adapted to eink reader.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
May be you have downloaded an app from Play Store?, don't use any app from there, it's not adapted to eink reader.
Hmmm, I've downloaded a number of apps from the Play Store for my Max which I believe runs pretty similar firmware to the Carta.

Some of the apps have not worked and I have uninstalled them. Others work fairly well even though they are not optimized for an eink screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
* Installing 3rd party apps (apart from the context of rooting) cannot brick your device. If it did, Android would be broken. The same is valid for any Android device (it is valid in general for multi-user systems).
* It's an Android tablet: to install 3rd party software on it is the most normal thing to do and the least one can expect to do on it
* Some of us only use 3rd party software, no unexpected problem worth reporting

@Maxcartauser1: IMHO your device had some problem in its preparation phase, I would re-flash it. I recommend you open a ticket with your vendor before.

Last edited by mdp; 09-06-2017 at 10:54 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lems, there is in general no need to adapt applications for EPD based devices.
When you do, you may enhance contrast (e.g. if EPD then use black and white instead of brown and grey); you may disable animations (which one can usually disable anyway having the coder taken into account that they may be annoying for some people); you may take care of details such as making a flashing cursor fixed, steady. Just visual things, for optimization. No special trick is there.
If any bad behaviour is there (I met one in QuickEdit), that appears evident on the EPD, it is an error from the coder and the protocol is to just raise a bug notification.
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Lems, there is in general no need to adapt applications for EPD based devices.
When you do, you may enhance contrast (e.g. if EPD then use black and white instead of brown and grey); you may disable animations (which one can usually disable anyway having the coder taken into account that they may be annoying for some people); you may take care of details such as making a flashing cursor fixed, steady. Just visual things, for optimization. No special trick is there.
If any bad behaviour is there (I met one in QuickEdit), that appears evident on the EPD, it is an error from the coder and the protocol is to just raise a bug notification.
Sorry to disagree, i have Max carta upgred to 4.4 and N96ML, 4.4, i downloaded a lot app, moon-reader, infinity reader, Helicon Book, Ezpdf, Lithium Reader, Alreader, Aldiko, Coolreader etc... no one worked as well as app built-in
May be i don't see what you see, so exchange our devices.

Why i upgraded to Android 4.4, because it's more stable for me, with Android 4.0 i often lost index reading(page last reading).
Obviously, these devices aren't software finshed, there are o lot o work to do more!.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #7
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, i have Max carta upgred to 4.4 and N96ML, 4.4, i downloaded a lot app, moon-reader, infinity reader, Helicon Book, Ezpdf, Lithium Reader, Alreader, Aldiko, Coolreader etc... no one worked as well as app built-in
May be i don't see what you see, so exchange our devices.
Interesting. It would be informative to know what issues you encountered on specific apps. For example, I used ezPDF, although not all the features, and did not meet any issue. If the built in apps work better, then Onyx did their job well.
Is it possible that your issue is with the slow processor? Because that is what I experience and what I note on some software.
(BTW did you also try the FBReader version I published? PDF apart, I only use that as a reader. In a near future, I plan to also try koreader, as I understand it is a leading open product)

Quote:
Obviously, these devices aren't software finshed, there are o lot o work to do more!.
Well it's a work in progress.

Last edited by mdp; 09-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
lems1995
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Interesting. It would be informative to know what issues you encountered on specific apps. For example, I used ezPDF, although not all the features, and did not meet any issue. If the built in apps work better, then Onyx did their job well.
Is it possible that your issue is with the slow processor? Because that is what I experience and what I note on some software.
(BTW did you also try the FBReader version I published? PDF apart, I only use that as a reader. In a near future, I plan to also try koreader, as I understand it is a leading open product)

Well it's a work in progress.
This time I agree, i'm waiting for next update , so i'm confident! it's a pity to have a poor software in this device fine hardware designed.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #9
onyxbooxuser
onyxbooxuser began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max carta
I had the same issue and messaged customer support about it and got the following response, which solved the issue for me.

1. Download the archive with firmware at the following link

https://yadi.sk/d/DzTy9frJvnUGa.

2. Extract the content of this archive on your WINDOWS PC.

3. Connect your ONYX MAX to your PC and then switch it off by pressing power button.

4. Switch your ONYX MAX to the HID-compliant device mode. For this do the following:

a. Press simultaneously both keys PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN (with < and >) the lower left corner

b. Keeping them pressed, turn the power on by pressing the power button for about 2-3 seconds. Then release all the buttons. The eReader is in the HID compliant device mode

5. Run the program MfgTool2 from the folder which was extracted from the downloaded archive.

6. If everything is OK, in the first line of this running program you will see HID-compliant device mode

7. Press "Start" in the program and wait until the progress of installation turns from blue to green.

8. When the progress of installation becomes green, press “Stop" and

the "Exit" in the program window.

9. Switch the device on by pressing the power button.
onyxbooxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
This time I agree, i'm waiting for next update , so i'm confident! it's a pity to have a poor software in this device fine hardware designed.
Guys, don't expect much of the updates. From my point of view, once Onyx releases a new device, they forget all the previous ones.

From Onyx, you get what you buy... at the moment of purchase. Years ago I purchased a model and it was unusable, and remained unusable until I threw away.

Last month I purchase a T76ML Carta+ and had some severe bugs that remained unsolved... Instead of return it I sold to a friend that wanted one of this to tinker with it. Do you know what was his first message once he got it? "What a piece of crap!".

Btw, if you want to deal with PDF, and annotate them, the only working solution today is an iPad perhaps with an Apple Pencil.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, carta, max, onyx, troubleshooting