Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Mekk
Mekk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600
Post Is hierarchical table of contents possible?

I recently got Kobo Touch after my Sony PRS-650 broke. The most painful change is the way hierarchical table of contents are handled. And there are many books where such ToCs are in use (for good) - for example most O'Reilly-sold epubs.

Yesterday I wanted to refresh my memory on some topic using „SQL Cookbook”. So I opened the book, and opened the table of contents to find the chapter I wanted to read. Kobo Touch displayed … plain list of all table-of-contents items, without any hierarchy. The list claimed having 147 pages (147 pages of table of contents, in 300-page book) and was navigable only back and forth. In practice: there was no way to use it to navigate to proper place in the book.

For comparison, after opening the same book on Sony and going to ToC, I see list of top-level chapters (1-2 pages), after I touch some chapter I see it's sections, after I touch the section I see it's subsections, finally lowest level opens book in the correct place. 3-4 finger touches, a few seconds and I am in the chapter I am interested in.

Do I miss something? Is there a way to get reasonable ToC on Kobo?
Mekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Mekk
Mekk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600
To provide all the details about example: this book table of contents can be seen at http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596009762.do
In .epub the hierarchy is deeper - there are subsections like „Problem”, „Solution”, „Oracle notes”, „DB2 notes”... in every section. Many tech books have similar structure.

So on Sony I see

1 Retrieving Records
2 Sorting Query Results
3 Working with Multiple Tables
4 Inserting, Updating, Deleting
(... up to 14 ...)

expanding chapter 4 gives

Inserting a New Record
Inserting Default Values
Overriding a Default Value with NULL
Copying Rows from One Table into Another
Copying a Table Definition
Inserting into Multiple Tables at Once
Blocking Inserts to Certain Columns
Modifying Records in a Table
(.. and a few more ...)

and so on.

On Kobo I get

1 Retrieving Records
Retrieving All Rows and Columns from a Table
Problem
Solution
Discussion
Retrieving a Subset of Rows from a Table
Problem
Solution
Discussion
Finding Rows That Satisfy Multiple Conditions

(and info that there are over hundred pages of toc)
Mekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Short version: no, Kobo doesn't support heirarchical TOC.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Jorg3
Jorg3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Papyre 613
This is something I discovered as well after having purchased my Kobo Glo HD. This really sucks, and I think this is a major drawback of Kobo eReaders that needs to be addressed. I have a good number of books (mainly medical) that have hierarchical ToCs, which are very necessary to navigate the book and get to the specific section you need to read.
Jorg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree it would be nice if Kobos were able to handle hierarchical table of contents. It's not that big of a problem for reading fiction--but for the examples mentioned above it would be critical. Another example--I can't read use my Bible on my Kobo--it's too painful--try finding one of the Psalms! I end up using one of my Kindles or my older Sonys for this.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
girlwithabook
girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, iPhone 6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekk View Post
To provide all the details about example: this book table of contents can be seen at http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596009762.do
In .epub the hierarchy is deeper - there are subsections like „Problem”, „Solution”, „Oracle notes”, „DB2 notes”... in every section. Many tech books have similar structure.

So on Sony I see

1 Retrieving Records
2 Sorting Query Results
3 Working with Multiple Tables
4 Inserting, Updating, Deleting
(... up to 14 ...)

expanding chapter 4 gives

Inserting a New Record
Inserting Default Values
Overriding a Default Value with NULL
Copying Rows from One Table into Another
Copying a Table Definition
Inserting into Multiple Tables at Once
Blocking Inserts to Certain Columns
Modifying Records in a Table
(.. and a few more ...)

and so on.

On Kobo I get

1 Retrieving Records
Retrieving All Rows and Columns from a Table
Problem
Solution
Discussion
Retrieving a Subset of Rows from a Table
Problem
Solution
Discussion
Finding Rows That Satisfy Multiple Conditions

(and info that there are over hundred pages of toc)
I'm seeing something completely different on the same book on my Kobo. I got the file from Kobo directly, but my TOC looks like this for chapter 1:
1. Retrieving Records
1.1 Retrieving All Rows and Columns from a Table
1.2 Retrieving a Subset of Rows from a Table
1.3 Finding Rows That Satisfy Multiple Conditions
etc etc.

Though maybe the file directly from O'Reilly is different. Where did you download the book from?
girlwithabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabook View Post
Though maybe the file directly from O'Reilly is different. Where did you download the book from?
Or perhaps it is because the post you quoted is three years old, and the publisher has revised the book since then.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #8
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
My first two readers were Sonys, and I miss hierarchical TOCS too.

For books with this type of problem, I use Sigil to create a TOC to level 2 or 3 only, to keep the number of pages in the TOC manageable, and navigate within the lowest with the double arrows in the bottom of page contents menu.

If there is a detailed html TOC within the book I mark up its first page (tap top right) to go there quickly and navigate more easily.

Within the TOC called within a book, you can navigate the page number: tap on the current one and insert number (1 to go to the contents for most books in English).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo touch, table of contents