Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
T68/M96: MicroSD Card Format: FAT32, exFAT or ext4?

PLEASE NOTE: Of course, Onyx reader (M96 at least) need SD cards, not MicroSD cards. The title refers just to my case of using MicroSD with a SD adapter.

Hi there,

I have a M96 and a 64 GB MicroSD Card. I wasn't sure how to format the card for best use, so I'm curious what you've found out.

Google search for Android and MicroSD formats yields some opposing views.

My impression is that ext4 seems the fastest and most reliable format especially for Linux guys, and according to this post is or will be the future internal storage format for Android devices. But I don't understand if it will work with my M96 without tweaking, and at that, if some apps will but others will have problems.

Other sources recommend FAT formats. I read somewhere that you should use exFAT from 64 GB external storage upwards.

For now, I will play safe and format with FAT32. But I wonder if that might still be a bad choice considering speed and reliability.

Last edited by Irratzo; 07-12-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Incorrect thread title
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know about the M96, but the T68 only supports FAT32, and only supports card sizes up to 32GB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irratzo View Post
Hi there,

I have a M96 and a 64 GB MicroSD Card. I wasn't sure how to format the card for best use, so I'm curious what you've found out.

Google search for Android and MicroSD formats yields some opposing views.

My impression is that ext4 seems the fastest and most reliable format especially for Linux guys, and according to this post is or will be the future internal storage format for Android devices. But I don't understand if it will work with my M96 without tweaking, and at that, if some apps will but others will have problems.

Other sources recommend FAT formats. I read somewhere that you should use exFAT from 64 GB external storage upwards.

For now, I will play safe and format with FAT32. But I wonder if that might still be a bad choice considering speed and reliability.
The Onyx M96 will support SDXC card > 32 GByte if you format them with FAT32. Under Windows 3rd party tools are required. IMHO the T68 will accept SDXC cards > 32 GByte if it has the right format.

To my knowledge extFAT doesn't work and ext4 wasn't tested by me so I can't say anything about it.

FAT32 has some problems (big blocks, ...) but most of them shouldn't concern if you don't use a huge amount of very small (only a few kbytes) files.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
Thanks for the helpful replies.
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Any news?

I would prefer to use EXT4, as I'm a hardcore Linux user
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 02:48 AM   #6
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The Onyx M96 will support SDXC card > 32 GByte if you format them with FAT32. Under Windows 3rd party tools are required. IMHO the T68 will accept SDXC cards > 32 GByte if it has the right format.

To my knowledge extFAT doesn't work and ext4 wasn't tested by me so I can't say anything about it.

FAT32 has some problems (big blocks, ...) but most of them shouldn't concern if you don't use a huge amount of very small (only a few kbytes) files.
So, have you tried it?
I bought a M96C
Could you give some suggestions for choosing a sd card for M96C?
for example, the capacity, the brand you choose, the formatting way(16K cluster ,32k or 64k?) and so on.
Many thanks~
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarry View Post
So, have you tried it?
I bought a M96C
Could you give some suggestions for choosing a sd card for M96C?
for example, the capacity, the brand you choose, the formatting way(16K cluster ,32k or 64k?) and so on.
Many thanks~
I always use SanDisk SDCards.

No. Maybe you could try an ext4 sdcard.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
I always use SanDisk SDCards.

No. Maybe you could try an ext4 sdcard.
Can you tell us the capacity of your sd? 32g?
Old 01-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard

Cards up to 32 GByte are officially supported. I have a 64 GByte Sandisk SDXC card.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
JHarry
Connoisseur

Quote:
Cards up to 32 GByte are officially supported. I have a 64 GByte Sandisk SDXC card.
Okay,but doesn't the device need long loading time?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Certainly on the T68 you can disable the card scan on startup. It's only necessary if you want to use the built-in library system, which I found to be not very good. Best way to manage your books on an eInk Android device is (IMHO) with Calibre Companion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
What do you mean with loading time?

It certainly depends on your number of loaded e-books on the device. I have around 500+ files on it. And it needs only a few extra seconds. No problem on that side.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #13
mkmonkey
mkmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: K3 , KPW1 , OnyxT86ML , N72013
T68ML user here (with 23 Jan firmware) . Currently using a ADATA 64GB card with FAT32 file system , no problem at all .

Android system scanning complete within 30 second , and did not experience any exceptional delay , but the database scanning of 3rd party software do take a while to complete . For example , 32GB content of ZIP file containing manga take about 45 minutes to complete .
mkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote