Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony PRS-T3 leaks in various Internet stores / coming on Sep 19?

Various online webstores predominantly from Switzerland, have leaked sales information of what appears to be the upcoming Sony PRS-T3 e-book reader.

Specs:
  • 6-inch E Ink screen with IR touch, 1024x758, 16 grey levels
  • WLAN (802.11b/g/n)
  • Dimensions: 160x109x11.3mm
  • Weight: 200g
  • Cover with automatic start/sleep function
  • Available in the colors black (PRST3BC), red (PRST3RC), and white (PRST3WC)

The information suggests that the Sony PRS-T3 will be priced at somewhere around CAD $158 (~US $150) and CHF 188 (~US $200), and that it will be available in late-September/early October (in Switzerland that is).

Update:
I should add that in Switzerland, grey imports of electronics is legal. Hence very often you get electronics in Switzerland on the same day when they are released elsewhere.

In one of the Swiss stores it is suggested that the release day for the Sony PRS-T3 is Sep 19, 2013 (black) and Sep 26, 2013 (red and white), and that these dates have been confirmed by the company importing the devices.

Related: Is Sony readying the PRS-T3? PRS-T2 on sale, Sony's PRS-T3 leaks out at the FCC, Possible new Sony ereader with Glo

[via TDR]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-22-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No mention of a light on any of those pages . I know Sony said something awhile back to indicate no light, but still I'm kinda surprised when the market (at least for higher $$$ devices, which this appears to be) has pretty solidly gone that way.

EDIT: Looks like maybe they're going with a lighted cover as the solution for those needing/wanting a light according to Nate's blog.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
No light, IR touch, and same resolution as last year's kindle PW. Nope. Nope nope nope.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are some who find light gray paper, like cheap newsprint, easier to read on.
So now we have a choice; Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony NewsprintGray.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
No light, IR touch, and same resolution as last year's kindle PW. Nope. Nope nope nope.
Exactly my feeling. No light. IR touch instead of capacitive touch. Same size as all those before it. Same resolution as last year's ereaders. The only perk (probably) is access to the Sony store, but I don't even know if that works in the Netherlands.

This ereader isn't even released yet, and it's already last year's model.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Not to be a hater, but I just don't see this as a competitor to the current best offerings of Kobo & Amazon. And the competition will only worsen when these companies roll out the next line of readers.

Having said that, wasn't there word way back that there might be two different Sony models?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Oh good, nothing to tempt me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If it is true that Sony is still not offering built-in light, I can only assume they are counting on the current owners of obsolete Reader models to upgrade. There are plenty of people (especially former PRS-700 owners) who may have convinced themselves that no light is better then light. I wonder if the idiots in Sony marketing have convinced themselves that people are buying their product because they don't want light.

I have a hard time seeing many new users coming on board if the built-in light is not offered as at least an option. What exactly is the value add? eInk HD? No, everyone else has it already. Auto-switch cover for those who can't be bothered to push a button? Page-turn buttons? Body design?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
No light?
:-(
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Not only no built-in light, but the lighted case will be expensive. Sony appear not to know what they are doing. I expect sales to be dismal and this could be the last Sony e-reader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Still happy with my 650 and 350 with lighted covers. No reason to upgrade to the new Sony. I would be tempted with a Sony with built in light, but am now waiting to see what Amazon comes out with. I'm also eying the Kobo Aura, which would have the advantage of being able to read ePubs without any conversion necessary.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
Sony= direct WiFi Overdrive download of books

That is still Sony's plus, afaik. The only dedicated E-readers that can do this unless you are using a tablet, which as we know isn't exactly the same reading experience for many of us
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I was hoping Sony might provide us with the option of a lighted reader with page turn buttons. To be fair, there are still people who aren't that convinced by the in-built light, but it's got to be an increasingly diminishing market?

Ah well, at this rate I'll end up keeping my Kindle 3 as my main ereader until it gives up on me!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Exactly my feeling. No light. IR touch instead of capacitive touch. Same size as all those before it. Same resolution as last year's ereaders. The only perk (probably) is access to the Sony store, but I don't even know if that works in the Netherlands.

This ereader isn't even released yet, and it's already last year's model.
My feeling too. With no light or capacitive touch I won't be buying but will wait for the new Kobo 6" due out soon.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
My feeling too. With no light or capacitive touch I won't be buying but will wait for the new Kobo 6" due out soon.
Why do you prefer capacitive to IR touch? I have both and find that they work equally well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote