Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Original and Kobo WiFi

So who here is gonna stick with their original or Kobo Wifi and not bother buying a Touch?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
My WiFi works just fine and dandy. I want a touch, but hardly need one. In this world where we have budgets, that matters.

Maybe if I look really sad and have puppy eyes there'll be one for me in December for my birthday/Christmas.

In general, I think touch screens are overrated. Big f@%cking deal, you can touch it. So what? It's the increased speed, clarity and reading life I want... but I don't NEED any of it. Touch screens mean f#$k-all to me.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how the battery life compares to the WiFi; as much as I like the touch and think it's pretty, I think battery life on the 'ol WiFi is likely to be better.

Besides, my WiFi was a present and it's my friend!
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
My WiFi works just fine and dandy. I want a touch, but hardly need one. In this world where we have budgets, that matters.

Maybe if I look really sad and have puppy eyes there'll be one for me in December for my birthday/Christmas.

In general, I think touch screens are overrated. Big f@%cking deal, you can touch it. So what? It's the increased speed, clarity and reading life I want... but I don't NEED any of it. Touch screens mean f#$k-all to me.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how the battery life compares to the WiFi; as much as I like the touch and think it's pretty, I think battery life on the 'ol WiFi is likely to be better.

Besides, my WiFi was a present and it's my friend!
Off topic but what is the Literati like?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Off topic but what is the Literati like?
The Literati is mostly just like the WiFi except it is color with an LCD screen. It is missing the Goto page function (I really wish it had this) but the dictionary is usable anytime if you are willing to type in the word. WiFi upgrades are just fine and browsing the kobo site is fine. I have another eReader for e Ink use which is my primary reader but I use the literati for evening/night use and when I want to see color images, or I am reading a Kobo book that doesn't have an ePub version. The forced margin applied by the software is a little much on a screen only 480 pixels wide but I can live with it. The bottom margin is also too large, there aren't as many lines of text as there should be.

Battery life is not nearly as good as an E Ink screen of course but I get 5 or 6 days of reading using the sleep mode and if I fully turn it off the battery lasts a long time. The spec is about 6 hrs full time use but this varies depending on how bright the backlight is set. I typically keep it as low as possible. I wish the backlight had easier access on the menus. The default menu item is font size which I seldom change but backlight I change a lot. The keyboard keypad is a little small for easy use but the next/prev keys work fine except in the dark where I can't always find them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I'm not yet within the elite Kobo members as I haven't made my purchase yet - I like to wait at least one month or two after release to see the pros and cons. HOWEVER, if I had purchased the first version I would most likely keep that version. I don't think it's such a big deal to hit a button. Am also wondering when you've hit the screen millions of times if it'll leave marks on it - can anyone comment on this?
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Sooty
Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi Touch, iTouch, Kobo Vox
I got mine as a present. However, the WiFi would be a good one to stick with, just lacking a few things like speed.
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
I'll be sticking with the wifi since I don't need a touch. It was a Christmas gift anyways so it would be kind of rude to just replace it now.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Mussgorsky
Mussgorsky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Keeping both my Original KOBO and my WiFi KOBO. Touch is nice but not needed. I find the speed on both the KOBOs I own to be good for me.

Maybe Christmas or my B-Day in January if I ask nicely.
Mussgorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
the touch is nice, finger prints and smudges aren't noticeable. as with any touch device (my phone) you'll see them over time and a quick wipe down with a micro fiber cloth will do fine.

as for the wifi, i really liked the thin and light feel it had. almost like the weight is distributed throughout. also the area the the left of the button was wide enough so you can hold it easily with your left and not worry about touching the screen.

with the touch being smaller and less surface area to hold it's a bit odd but you get used to it.

they're both really good, i'll be keeping both in the family anyway so if i ever wanted to go back to the wifi i can. gifted it to my parents so they can practice and see what it's all about.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
I'm on the fence.
I still dont know exactly what the feature differences are. if it's purely a touch screen for turning pages and menu nav, then I'll stay here with my WiFi since it does all that anways

what i'm looking for is the "big ticket" feature that makes me move. And so far, i can't find it.

Maybe if Kobo designed a left handed version i might. But right now the only two features in the touch that i don't see in the WiFi version is the social networking software (forget what it's called) and touch screen navigation
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Sticking with my Wireless, thanks. I bought it in the first place because it wasn't touchscreen based.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I would love to have a Kobo Touch but since I've had my Kobo Wifi for only two months and I don't have a big budget I will have to stick to the Wifi for a while
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Keeping the WiFi as it works passably, but I'd REALLY like a pearl eInk reader... I can hardly justify it though with so many readers unless I were to sell some of my excess tablets/readers...

Be nice if they put the browser on the WiFi though, and some of the other tweaks that are supposedly planned for the Touch...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I'm sticking with my Wifi - it meets my needs perfectly at the moment. And since technology is changing so quickly in the e-reader market, I bet there's another model with a year (or before Christmas!)
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Ha! I just got my Kobo WiFi in March from a closing Borders. It is a nifty little device so I'm not getting a Touch anytime soon. I don't think I want Touch in a eReader but I've never had a Touch device, so what do I know?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote