Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
New, low-end Kobo possible?

Now that Tolino has released a new, low-end Page 2 (with front-light and 8 GBs of storage instead of 4) do you think Kobo will update their Aura 2's to match the Tolino Page 2's hardware? Not only does the Page 2 have 8Gbs of storage, but they've changed the Page 2 to look almost like a Clara, instead of like the older style Kobos, with the blue switch on the back. I'm guessing probably not, since the Aura 2 still outshines the Kindle Basic hardware spec-wise, 212dpi vs 167dpi screen, but it would be interesting to see what they do.

And if they did come out with Tolino Page 2-like "Aura 3," would Walmart still sell the $70 "special edition" Aura 2?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #2
bonnerable
Enthusiast
bonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Possible since amazon refreshed their entry level with a light
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Unless I'm mistaken it's just the other way around:

Quote:
The company has just announced the Tolino Page 2, Tolino Vision 5 and the Tolino Epos 2. These models were all made with Kobo and basically the Vision 5 is a Kobo Libra clone and the Epos 2 is a rebranded Forma, while the second generation Page is simply a rebrand of the Kobo Aura Edition 2.
Source

Rakuten, the company that owns Kobo now owns Tolino as well. The hardware is identical, only the software (a.k.a. the firmware) differs.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
Rakuten, the company that owns Kobo now owns Tolino as well. The hardware is identical, only the software (a.k.a. the firmware) differs.
The Tolino Page 2 and the Kobo Aura Edition 2 are different in a couple fairly minor details. The Page 2 has 8 GBs of storage and 512 MBs of RAM, the Aura 2 has 4 GBs of storage and I don't know how much RAM. Also the Page 2 has its switch at the bottom (like a Clara) instead of on the back like the older style Kobos. Otherwise the two are pretty much the same, hardware-wise. It's these changes to the low-end Tolino (a subsidiary of Kobo) that makes me wonder if Kobo plans to update the low-end Aura 2 to an "Aura 3," patterned after the Page 2. And, if they do this, will the "Walmart special edition" Aura 2 remain as an even lower-end Kobo?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
could Tolino be bringing their line up to mirror Kobo with a Forma, Libra, and Clara rather than the Aura 2?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Both Kobos and Tolinos use regular SSD cards for the OS and for storage. You can find howtos online to put e.g. a 64 GB memory card into your Clara. The method is probably the same for all Kobo/Tolino devices. In Japan you can buy a 32 GB Kobo Aura One.

I'm in Belgium, Europe, so I don't know about the American market.

What I do know is that the Tolino Shine 3 is identical to the Kobo Clara. I know this because I own a Clara and I've handled a Shine 3 in a shop that sells them. The Tolino Page 2 seems similar to the Clara but has a lower resolution, 212 ppi, than the Clara and the Shine 3 at 300 ppi. All three have 512 RAM.

Since the Clara is identical to the Shine 3, it's possible that Kobo will introduce a new entry level model identical to the Page 2.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
Both Kobos and Tolinos use regular SSD cards for the OS and for storage. You can find howtos online to put e.g. a 64 GB memory card into your Clara. The method is probably the same for all Kobo/Tolino devices. In Japan you can buy a 32 GB Kobo Aura One.
Of the Kobo devices currently on the market, the only the Aura Edition 2 and Clara HD have internal SD cards. And yes, these are easy to replace. All the current and recent waterproof models use fixed internal storage.

I don't know about the older tolinos, but, I'd be stunned if the tolino version of the same hardware as the Kobo used different storage. Changing the mount would be the most that is likely.
Quote:
I'm in Belgium, Europe, so I don't know about the American market.

What I do know is that the Tolino Shine 3 is identical to the Kobo Clara. I know this because I own a Clara and I've handled a Shine 3 in a shop that sells them. The Tolino Page 2 seems similar to the Clara but has a lower resolution, 212 ppi, than the Clara and the Shine 3 at 300 ppi. All three have 512 RAM.

Since the Clara is identical to the Shine 3, it's possible that Kobo will introduce a new entry level model identical to the Page 2.
And yes, as of the Shine 3, tolino is sharing hardware with Kobo. And the hardware used for the Page 2 looks like a good candidate to replace the Aura Edition 2.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
could Tolino be bringing their line up to mirror Kobo with a Forma, Libra, and Clara rather than the Aura 2?
No question that Kobo has patterned the new Tolinos, the Shine 3 (Clara clone), Vision 5 (Libra clone) and Epos 2 (Forma clone) off their Kobo counterparts. But the Page 2 is not an Aura 2 clone, it's basically a less capable Clara (with more storage than the Aura 2). I was just wondering if Kobo would upgrade the Aura 2 with this new hardware. It would seem logical that both lines mirror each other's hardware.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
I don't know elsewhere but here in Italy Kobo Aura Edition 2 and Kobo Aura H2O edition 2 are "out of stock" in Kobo site. I don't know if it is a temporary situation or they won't be produced anymore.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I don't know elsewhere but here in Italy Kobo Aura Edition 2 and Kobo Aura H2O edition 2 are "out of stock" in Kobo site. I don't know if it is a temporary situation or they won't be produced anymore.
They show as "Temporarily out of stock" on the Australian site. I think Kobo have used this when they are about to stop selling a device, but, it has also been there when they are waiting for new stock.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #11
jkelol111
n00b
jkelol111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
What would happen to the Walmart Edition Aura Edition 2 if the Aura Edition 2 was discontinued? Maybe that's why it is "exclusive" to Walmart...

That said, I'm pretty excited for a new budget Kobo. The pricing of the normal Aura Edition 2 is terrible.
jkelol111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I think the most likely thing to happen is that Walmart would start selling the new device.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #13
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No question that Kobo has patterned the new Tolinos, the Shine 3 (Clara clone), Vision 5 (Libra clone) and Epos 2 (Forma clone) off their Kobo counterparts. But the Page 2 is not an Aura 2 clone, it's basically a less capable Clara (with more storage than the Aura 2). I was just wondering if Kobo would upgrade the Aura 2 with this new hardware. It would seem logical that both lines mirror each other's hardware.
Since the Page 2 doesn't have Comfort Light Pro and isn't 300 DPI, I would say it is basically an Aura 2 (with more storage). But I'm not considering other things like cosmetics, the button on the back, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #14
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Kobo's have gotten so expensive lately and no low end model. $139.99 for the cheapest kobo then up to $199 and $299 after that. Crazy!
They need to release the under $100 model, a $79 would do very nice. How about the glo 3? Since many iksnay the kobo mini. However from a business perspective a kobo mini 2 selling at $49 would fly off the shelves, throw in an sd card slot and guaranteed you wouldn't be able to keep up to demand.
ps. sorry I forgot the Aura edition 2 which is $129.99 - currently the cheapest but only slightly however notice it's not in stock.

Last edited by christopher22; 11-11-2019 at 10:14 PM.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Since many iksnay the kobo mini. However from a business perspective a kobo mini 2 selling at $49 would fly off the shelves, throw in an sd card slot and guaranteed you wouldn't be able to keep up to demand.
ps. sorry I forgot the Aura edition 2 which is $129.99 - currently the cheapest but only slightly however notice it's not in stock.
Your impromptu market research in another thread begs to differ with this claim.

A cheap kobo would almost certainly not include a hardware feature not present in the higher end ones. It’s also questionable if such a low price would be profitable for Kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote