Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't think so. When I bought my first Kindle Touch I immediately gave it away because I thought the fonts sucked when compared to the Nook ST (which was my first reader). Later I found out I could install custom fonts on the Kindle Touch and that made a big difference. But the fonts on the Nook ST were dark and readable "out of box." I mostly used Caecilia.
On the nook ST, I wanted to use a different font then what came with the firmware. Using the exact same font, the nook looked terrible and the Sony looked good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, but KePubs seem to have the features you want.

The typesetting, you get used to it. Give it a go, Really, you will get used to it. I did.
But I have a choice and I made it. So deal.
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If Apple made an eBook Reader, it would run some castrated version of iBooks. No thanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #94
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whooosh
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There are things that would make Kobo better. Things you would expect Kobo to do. That would be to fix all the known bugs before releasing new features.
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #96
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Please take this advice every time you assert people must use cases, or must use a certain firmware and 'get used' to changes or features they dislike.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #97
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
On the nook ST, I wanted to use a different font then what came with the firmware. Using the exact same font, the nook looked terrible and the Sony looked good.
I can't speak for any fonts not built into the firmware of the Nook. And I'm not going to argue about the quality of Sony eReaders — once I got used to the Sony's built in fonts I got to really like them. But I still think my Nook ST fonts were fine — dark with good contrast.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #98
joss
joss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I like the new features of 4.18 ... until I noticed that trying to open a 146 MB kobo epub
triggers a kobo reboot although this same book ( from kobobooks ) was working with
my previous 4.15 f/w .
I have reported the issue to help@kobobooks.com
joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #99
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
I'm just gonna tuck this post away for the future
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #100
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
You haven't addressed the point I made about how very much more expensive the Sony was than the Nook. Yeah, we'd all like a Cadillac at Chevy prices, but for most people, the Chevy provides more value. And I say this as someone who had both a PRS-750 and a PRS-350. The Nook ST when it came out was a tremendous value, as is the current Nook GlowLight.

And... why are we still talking about font rendering on a six-year old device?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joss View Post
I like the new features of 4.18 ... until I noticed that trying to open a 146 MB kobo epub
triggers a kobo reboot although this same book ( from kobobooks ) was working with
my previous 4.15 f/w .
I have reported the issue to help@kobobooks.com
This has been reported before in the thread for the 4.18.x firmware. It is related to the size and complexity of the book and trying to do the full book page count. And I know Kobo is working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #102
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You haven't addressed the point I made about how very much more expensive the Sony was than the Nook.
That's a good point. I'm always thinking of the used market... where Sonys have become cheap. My first eReader was a Nook ST — it went on sale for $75 and I thought that was a fantastic deal. (And this is still the most I've paid for an eReader, though I've bought some used, high-end ones now.) I still have the Nook ST. I need to replace the battery soon and its soft rubber has developed "rubber rot," but it's still comfortably usable if I leave it in its case.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-08-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: its instead of it's
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #103
cgsmom
Zealot
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8, Kindle PW4, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And... why are we still talking about font rendering on a six-year old device?
Exactly! It feels like some people are saying "Don't go buy a new Mustang because the Edsel was terrible."

It is hard to defend Barnes & Noble because they have been so stupid in the ebook area. However, I have the new Nook Glowlight Plus and I like it very much. Is it perfect? No. For now it works for me. I am very interested in the Libre which is why I keep reading Kobo threads. My next reader might just be a Kobo.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #104
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
It is hard to defend Barnes & Noble because they have been so stupid in the ebook area. However, I have the new Nook Glowlight Plus and I like it very much. Is it perfect? No. For now it works for me. I am very interested in the Libre which is why I keep reading Kobo threads. My next reader might just be a Kobo.
Yeah, I have the Clara, Glowlight 3 and 2015 Plus. And while the Clara is my daily driver, the 3 is used by others in the house and the Plus is great to read on if you're going to read in the tub.

Just because (to me) the Kobo firmware is an improvement on the Nook, it doesn't mean Nooks are junk.

Kobo's never made a 6" reader as physically nice as the 2015 Plus to me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #105
bookyboy
Connoisseur
bookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Boy this Nook software sure is horrendously dog slow though...
(Testing a GLP 2019)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote