Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
ok didn't proceed forward in the firmware. In either case you've hardly a leg to stand on telling someone to "get used to it".
What you do is you check out the new firmware and if there are any gotchas that you don't like, don't update. It's that simple. It's what I do. But when there is a change like the home screen, you either deal with it or stay on the older firmware forever. And the thing is, if you ever get a new Kobo, you'd get these new features. So either you move on and deal or you stay on older firmware.

There are choices what one can do with the new header/footer. Turn on or both off, have both on or swap the header/footer leaving both on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #47
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you do is you check out the new firmware and if there are any gotchas that you don't like, don't update. It's that simple. It's what I do. But when there is a change like the home screen, you either deal with it or stay on the older firmware forever. And the thing is, if you ever get a new Kobo, you'd get these new features. So either you move on and deal or you stay on older firmware.

There are choices what one can do with the new header/footer. Turn on or both off, have both on or swap the header/footer leaving both on.
I'm glad you have accepted that people do not just need to "get used" to something.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'm glad you have accepted that people do not just need to "get used" to something.
But they do if they've updated the firmware and cannot go back without a factory reset. Not everyone backs up up the database and settings. When there is a database change between the firmware that was in use and the new firmware, you cannot go back without a factory reset, installing the firmware you want and then restoring the eBooks, database, and settings.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Or you wait for the patch. You seem to have decided a delay is the same as 'never gonna happen'.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Could we can the personalities, please, and keep comments to the posts alone? This kind of, let us call it, spitting contest is running rampant lately. Moreover, if you find you're engaged in a back and forth with another poster either take it to PM or drop it. And I know this will be near-impossible for some, but be willing for the other to have the last word.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone else hate their Kobo and if o, why?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
I too can't understand how some people can complain about such a trivial matter. I guess they're the lucky ones who don't have anything more important to worry about.
Isn't the whole point of MobileRead to discuss the features and quirks of eReaders? Won't that, by its very nature, result in discussing the trivial?

Or should we now reply to those who ask which one they should buy... "Ah, just grab the closest one... they all turn pages by tapping or swiping anyhow"

It may be trivial but I don't like page numbers that change with font face or size. I don't like it enough that, at this point, upgrading to a newer Kobo is no longer a consideration. There are plenty of other choices for us "lucky ones who don't have anything important to worry about."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does anyone else hate their Kobo and if o, why?
I couldn't imagine hating any ereader. I prefer my Kobos to my Nooks, but even the old Nook ST was good enough to move me completely to e-books right after purchasing it.

I can see that a recurring glitch on a device you otherwise love could really push your buttons though.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
But they do if they've updated the firmware and cannot go back without a factory reset. Not everyone backs up up the database and settings. When there is a database change between the firmware that was in use and the new firmware, you cannot go back without a factory reset, installing the firmware you want and then restoring the eBooks, database, and settings.
Except of course that there have been very few firmware versions were it wasn't safe to go back a few versions. The database schema changes have so far all been backwardly compatible. All add new tables or columns to tables in such a way that the older firmware versions will have no problems.

There have been a few data changes that would cause problems. 4.17.x included one that affected how the reading location was stored for epubs. Going back from that would mean you lose the location within a chapter for the book you are currently reading. You might get an error and have to mark the book as unread before opening it again. But, you wouldn't lose anything else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:05 AM   #55
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I couldn't imagine hating any ereader. I prefer my Kobos to my Nooks, but even the old Nook ST was good enough to move me completely to e-books right after purchasing it.

I can see that a recurring glitch on a device you otherwise love could really push your buttons though.
Yep. I can't imagine anyone using an ereader they hate for longer than a few days. Of course words said in the heat of the moment don't really count as real hate.

I'm also one of those who can't imagine hating any ereader. I love my Libra and my Oases, even my Nook feels and looks very nice, software flaws notwithstanding. I have sold a couple of ereaders I no longer used (in one case, hardly used at all), but I felt a bit sorry for doing that. I still liked them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #56
bonnerable
Enthusiast
bonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
I think original post is more of a rant and not an inquiry to help with issues. There were strong words used and the original poster's decision is final. I don't think this thread will really be that productive than throwing words at a wall. Just my 2 cents.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
I think original post is more of a rant and not an inquiry to help with issues. There were strong words used and the original poster's decision is final. I don't think this thread will really be that productive than throwing words at a wall. Just my 2 cents.
I think you're right. Kind of like some of my rants. Really just venting a little.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #58
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Well, I don't hate my ebook reader. Rather, I hate [some] people! (Only one, actually.)

Why hate a "machine", if it can't hate back?

I am now getting additional enjoyment out of my Kobo Aura One, due to the recent firmware upgrade.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #59
bookyboy
Connoisseur
bookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshesbookyboy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, I don't hate my ebook reader. Rather, I hate [some] people! (Only one, actually.)

Why hate a "machine", if it can't hate back?

I am now getting additional enjoyment out of my Kobo Aura One, due to the recent firmware upgrade.
I wish we could convince Kobo to make an Aura One shape but with side buttons..

(like a Nook Glowlight)

Nook Glowlight Plus, but with Kobo software = my dream device.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Nook Glowlight Plus, but with Kobo software = my dream device.
You aren't the only one. In general, I like Nook hardware. The software though...