Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #31
RAFS
RAFS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I wonder how people reacted to paper books? Was there any “hate”, cause one couldn’t change anything on those? As for me, I just read. When I reach the end of the page, I tap and read again.
RAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Actually what was said was

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No, it turns out too much of the code for the header and footer is shared with each other for me to easily change it for only one of them (and I don't have time to do it the long way right now).
Emphasis mine. Which is a rather far cry from “not going to happen”.
Yes, thank you. I was going to reply with the same thing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
I wonder how people reacted to paper books? Was there any “hate”, cause one couldn’t change anything on those? As for me, I just read. When I reach the end of the page, I tap and read again.
This sort of comment pops up from time to time. And I get the point you're trying to make. I do. But boy, it gets tiresome. It smacks of "what you have is good enough, so shut up and sit down."

As for hate in the days of printed books, you can look at old Amazon reviews where people complain about small fonts used to save on page count, particularly on PD classics. Or print that ran into the binding. Or books being glued improperly so pages would fall out. Or printing errors. Or people complaining about the tall mass market paperbacks that were a thing for a while.

Anything that people spend enough time with, they will bitch and moan about. It didn't start with e-readers.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
I too can't understand how some people can complain about such a trivial matter. I guess they're the lucky ones who don't have anything more important to worry about.

Like you said " When I reach the end of the page, I tap and read again". Life is so much easier if you chill a bit.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
I too can't understand how some people can complain about such a trivial matter. I guess they're the lucky ones who don't have anything more important to worry about.

Like you said " When I reach the end of the page, I tap and read again". Life is so much easier if you chill a bit.
I can't understand reading through three pages of a thread and then posting a completely unhelpful comment. I guess they're the lucky ones who don't have anything more pressing of their time
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #36
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can't understand reading through three pages of a thread and then posting a completely unhelpful comment. I guess they're the lucky ones who don't have anything more pressing of their time
"....Life is so much easier if you chill a bit." Is very helpful!!!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:

Well said!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well said!
If there's one thing I've learned from reading your posts, it is that you don't complain about niggling little details like font rendering...
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
"....Life is so much easier if you chill a bit." Is very helpful!!!
I'm cool, daddy-o. Just passing the time when work fails to engage me.

Now please, let us discuss only things you consider to be worth your time.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #40
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm cool, daddy-o. Just passing the time when work fails to engage me.

Now please, let us discuss only things you consider to be worth your time.
My point is wrt the original post:

".... they put the chapter as the header and the book as the footer. That's terrible …."

Is he serious? Is that what's keeping him up at night?

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 11-04-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If there's one thing I've learned from reading your posts, it is that you don't complain about niggling little details like font rendering...
I don't care much for how Access renders. But I have RMSDK to use and I use that because I like the way it renders.

But if I wanted to use Access instead of RMSDK, I would. I would not come online and complain that I did not like Access.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
My point is wrt the original post:

".... they put the chapter as the header and the book as the footer. That's terrible …."

Is he serious? Is that what's keeping him up at night?
Yes, we are allowed to dislike things of non catastrophic levels. I know it's shocking, but I do hope it doesn't affect your sleep.

As to the preferences of various posters here,

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

- John Lydgate

would seem a rather fitting quote.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't care much for how Access renders. But I have RMSDK to use and I use that because I like the way it renders.

But if I wanted to use Access instead of RMSDK, I would. I would not come online and complain that I did not like Access.
Yes, it's not as if you rolled firmware back which only had issues with RMSDK because of some preference for how it renders text.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes, it's not as if you rolled firmware back which only had issues with RMSDK because of some preference for how it renders text.
I've never rolled back the firmware.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #45
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I've never rolled back the firmware.
ok didn't proceed forward in the firmware. In either case you've hardly a leg to stand on telling someone to "get used to it".