Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Buy from Kobo in the US?

Hello folks,

I'm wondering whether it is still possible to purchase an ereader via the Kobo website from a US address, or will you automatically be sent to WalMart's site.

I'd rather have a root canal than buy from WalMart.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yes you can order from Kobo specifically. In fact you can’t order from Walmart from Kobos site.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Wal-Mart would probably be easier to deal with if you have a problem and need to file a warranty claim.

Plus, they're useful insofar as you can grab gift cards from them as well. I don't trust Kobo with my credit card information, so making purchases entirely with gift cards applied to my balance eliminates the need to store any info with them.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Wal-Mart would probably be easier to deal with if you have a problem and need to file a warranty claim.

IS that the way it, works Walmart handles the warranty? I think Walmart would be good if you are within the return period, but I would guess that warranty claims would be handled by Kobo?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Walmart Warranty Only good for 15 Days After that you have to deal with Kobo... I Vote buy from Kobo to begin with.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Walmart Warranty Only good for 15 Days After that you have to deal with Kobo... I Vote buy from Kobo to begin with.
Or fork over for the extended warranty.

And given my experience dealing directly with Kobo? This is one of the very few instances where an extended warranty is worth the price of admission.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
How much is the extended warranty?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would make a distinction between return policy and warranty? Walmart has a return policy of X days. Kobo has a warranty that covers Y days.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
How much is the extended warranty?
Varies with retail price of the device and term of coverage.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
you can probably order from goodereader.com as well but they usually charge a lot more
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
you can probably order from goodereader.com as well but they usually charge a lot more
goodereader.com provides no warranty service. If you buy a Kobo device from them then you're going to Kobo for service.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The irony of buying a Kobo from goodereader ooof.

But seriously don't do this, they're charging you for the privilege of using their store. And it's not a small amount, I paid less in total (taxes included) than they're asking for as a base for the Forma 32gb.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I'd rather have a root canal than buy from WalMart.
I don't have personal experience with Chapters/Indigo but, by what I've read here, it would seem to be preferable to buying directly from Kobo.

There's also Triplenet Pricing that sells via Walmart, but also sells a few Kobo models online from their own website. As far as I can tell, Triplenet is an "old school" office supply in the northeast that somehow got involved with selling Kobos. (Can't vouch for them, but they supposedly offer to ship within one day and I think the shipping is free and they don't charge tax. But I may not be remembering that correctly.)

https://www.triplenetpricing.com/search?q=kobo

Looks like they only have three models in stock now, though.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:26 AM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't have personal experience with Chapters/Indigo but, by what I've read here, it would seem to be preferable to buying directly from Kobo.
My Kobo Aura One came from Chapters Indigo (Canadian Store). The buying experience was a good one--luckily I didn't have any issues with it, so I can't speak to returns. But--with the exchange rate, I ended up saving money over buying from either Kobo or Walmart.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
ratinox
Fanatic

My recent purchasing experience with Kobo was straightforward albeit slow: slow order turnaround and slow shipping. My recent return/exchange experience with Kobo was a disaster of incompetence and poor interdepartmental communication compounded by slow turnaround and shipping.

My recent purchasing experience with Walmart was straightforward and faster than Kobo: faster turnaround and faster shipping. I have not experienced return/exchange with Walmart so far.