Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, I'm starting on the updates in a moment.
Thank you. I hope it's not too much hassle to update the patches.

Quote:
Is there any use for this (remember, each affiliate causes an additional 10 requests, and ~0.3s delay)? I haven't seen any versions not caught quickly with the current affiliates yet.

P.S. That Dropbox stuff looks interesting, and gives me quite a bit to play with (I might be able to do something interesting with it).
I'm no saying that the current affiliates do not work. I'm just curious what firmware Walmart in the US would be sending out if there is such an affiliate.

What Dropbox stuff?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I'm no saying that the current affiliates do not work. I'm just curious what firmware Walmart in the US would be sending out if there is such an affiliate.

What Dropbox stuff?
But who would use this information, the only time people ask about the Walmart affiliate it’s to get rid of it so they don’t have the ugly sleep screen image. Which means extra delay for idle curiosity of arguably the least used affiliate on the forum.

Read the DNSBs post about Dropbox.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
But who would use this information, the only time people ask about the Walmart affiliate it’s to get rid of it so they don’t have the ugly sleep screen image. Which means extra delay for idle curiosity of arguably the least used affiliate on the forum.
I just want to know if there is such an affiliate and if so, what firmware they are sending out.

Read the DNSBs post about Dropbox.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I just read the post. It would be nice if it could be patched to give us Dropbox access to all Kobos.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #19
IanScuffling
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hmmm

Quote:
Oh, noooooo. Kobo really wants to make our (me, jackie_w, NiLuJe) life busy ... Every time we finish updating the patches and announce it, Kobo releases another version (this is now the third time).

Fun fact: There are now 5 active versions between the 6 main affiliates (see below).
Maybe Kobo is running a psychological experiment on you three!
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just want to know if there is such an affiliate and if so, what firmware they are sending out.

Read the DNSBs post about Dropbox.

The affiliate is probably Walmart. I’d imagine they send out the latest update in the same fashion most affiliates get it.

Last edited by MGlitch; 09-30-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #21
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Installed on the old H2O, it's taking ages to turn on after the update :/ will report if I see anything new, but likely not.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #22
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
I just want to know if there is such an affiliate and if so, what firmware they are sending out
I'll check later.

Quote:
Thanks I just read the post. It would be nice if it could be patched to give us Dropbox access to all Kobos.
I won't be releasing patches to add exclusive features to devices they aren't officially available for. Note that so far, almost all exclusive features have been released to the last 2 generations of devices within a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Installed on the old H2O, it's taking ages to turn on after the update :/ will report if I see anything new, but likely not.
It might be database migrations again. How long does the next boot take?

Quote:
No problem. And due to our cleanup work last version, it's a lot faster to update the patches. See the GitHub repo for the progress so far (it's almost done).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Note that so far, almost all exclusive features have been released to the last 2 generations of devices within a month or two.
Didn't even older versions finally get Overdrive access with 4.17? I though I remembered someone mentioning it showed up on their Glo HD.

I no longer have my 6" Aura, so doesn't matter to me. But I do think it is cool how long Kobo supports their old readers.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-30-2019 at 07:14 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Quote:
It might be database migrations again. How long does the next boot take?
It's been 10 minutes since it's finished upgrading and I'm still at the 'three dots' stage. Based on what you said, I should probably mention that my database is quite big - I have more than 4000+ books on the H2O.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #25
poczynek
Connoisseur
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I updated to 4.18 on my Forma to check out the Dropbox capability which is described here:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-with-Dropbox

However when i go to 'Accounts' i do not see the Dropbox part as shown in Step 2 of 5 in the link above.

Anyone else?
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
Gibbo
Fanatic
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2 - Nvidia Shield K1 - Galaxy S8+ - KA1
Would love to have Dropbox access on my ka1 as my calibre folder is synced to Dropbox, no more connecting to the PC.
Gibbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #27
mathil
Addict

Took more than 20 minutes, but finally did it. Looks like games are back in the Beta Features section, or is that just me not noticing it before? There's (translating from Italian, not sure about the actual names in English) Sketch Pad, Sudoku, Unlock it (?), Solitaire and Anagram.
My H2O also feels pretty snappy.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Took more than 20 minutes, but finally did it. Looks like games are back in the Beta Features section, or is that just me not noticing it before? There's (translating from Italian, not sure about the actual names in English) Sketch Pad, Sudoku, Unlock it (?), Solitaire and Anagram.
My H2O also feels pretty snappy.
Odd it took very little time for my H2O to update. It was going from 4.17 to 4.18 what about yours?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
I updated to 4.18 on my Forma to check out the Dropbox capability which is described here:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-with-Dropbox

However when i go to 'Accounts' i do not see the Dropbox part as shown in Step 2 of 5 in the link above.

Anyone else?
Not sure if there isn't an error in that documentation or simply that I was already signed into Dropbox in a web browser. I tapped on the My Dropbox link on the home menu, entered the code shown at kobo.com/dropbox and my Forma connected and opened Dropbox. At that time, it showed How to add books to your eReader using....pdf as the only file there. I added some files to Dropbox in the Rakuten Kobo folder and they showed on my Forma.

Edit: After I synced, they also showed in My Books.

See attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	247
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	173846   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	217
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	173847  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-30-2019 at 08:16 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #30
poczynek
Connoisseur
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if there isn't an error in that documentation or simply that I was already signed into Dropbox in a web browser. I tapped on the My Dropbox link on the home menu, entered the code shown at kobo.com/dropbox and my Forma connected and opened Dropbox. At that time, it showed How to add books to your eReader using....pdf as the only file there. I added some files to Dropbox in the Rakuten Kobo folder and they showed on my Forma.

Edit: After I synced, they also showed in My Books.

See attached images.
Oh you legend! Yes that was it. That documentation is definitely old - I synced up and then 'My Dropbox' appeared and all good.

Thank you
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote