Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #16
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
if I had to buy a new reader this would probably be it (white, with page turn buttons, in this day and age? I'm sold!)

but probably it doesn't have internal sd card slot anymore?
No inside pictures yet, but I bet the memory is soldered like the Forma (for impermeability).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #17
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
In Italian: (but with google's help everybody can understand)

https://www.smartworld.it/recensioni/kobo-libra-h20

€ 179,00, € 71,00 cheaper than Oasis 3.

I prefer larger ones (may be I could buy a Forma) but it is an interesting device.
The reviewer noticed a great difference in performance between Kepub and Epub.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #18
Nirekeyaki
Nirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Libra 2 - Clara HD
- Low-contrast screen

- ¿Gradient?: "For the most part, the Libra H2O's backlighting is just as even as both of the Kindles, so it looks like the entire screen is illuminated. The one place it fails is the quarter-inch of space on the side of the screen next to the buttons, where the lighting is slightly dimmer."

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/kobo-libra-h2o
Nirekeyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Anything about the substrate?
Ars Technica says no Mobius. Then says that's a trivial difference and it's basically the Forma's little sibling.

Nope, it's not. But that's my upgrade fever done with for this cycle, which I guess is a plus!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #20
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
That is one seriously ugly piece of tech.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #21
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And look, they removed the options to hide the header and footer when reading!
According to the Ars Technica review you can still disable the header and footer. I hope that's true.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...s-for-readers/
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #22
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirekeyaki View Post
that review is a bit odd

they want the case be made of metal? won't your hands be cold when reading?

Quote:
Also, when I'm spending more than $150 on an e-reader, I'd hope that it would be metal, and not the plastic that the Libra H2O is made of.
and the low contrast seems to refer to while browsing the kobo store.

Quote:
The Libra H2O's color contrast — which admittedly is not as important as text rendering — is also a bit below what I expect at this price. As I browsed the Kobo Store online, this caused book covers to appear slightly less clear in thumbnail form than on the Kindles I've reviewed in the past.
well, these are not important to me
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
They sure did, which is a bummer - I'd gotten used to hiding the footer. I'm used to patching already, so I hope that someone will come up with something as well (maybe we'll be able to activate it in the .conf file?).
Thank you for taking the bait. You won't need to go the the config file.
Quote:
I do like the percentage at the top always being shown though. The new in-book menus look good IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
According to the Ars Technica review you can still disable the header and footer. I hope that's true.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...s-for-readers/
Yes, there are more options, not less for the header and footer. They don't mention it, but, it is visible in one of the photos, there is a very thin progress bar across the bottom of the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #24
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And look, they removed the options to hide the header and footer when reading!

That.... really sucks.. I hope it still works if the option is added to the conf file.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #25
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Product page is up at UK Kobo store, but not linked to from "Ereaders" menu yet.

£149, pre-order Sept 10.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #26
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Aww, they sell in UK, France, Italy, Spain, ... but not Germany.

Oh well, I really shouldn't, anyway.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frostschutz: They don't have a partnership with a brick & mortar shop in Germany?

(f.g., I've never actually bought mine directly from Kobo in France, I've always gone through Fnac, their historical French partner. It's not yet available for preorder from them, though. But, IIRC, that was the case for the Forma, too, it only popped up a bit later.).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirekeyaki View Post
- Low-contrast screen

- ¿Gradient?: "For the most part, the Libra H2O's backlighting is just as even as both of the Kindles, so it looks like the entire screen is illuminated. The one place it fails is the quarter-inch of space on the side of the screen next to the buttons, where the lighting is slightly dimmer."

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/kobo-libra-h2o
Thanks - It's not visible in the video review, at least, unless they're talking about the shadow cast from the raised bezel.

@davidfor: You got me it did seem weird that they'd removed options instead of adding new ones. I love the new progress bar though!

I'm seriously thinking about updating to a white Libra. My latest 'bigger' ereader was the first edition H2O, and I'd been thinking about updating to the Forma but was worried because of the price... this is perfect
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #29
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Ars Technica says no Mobius. Then says that's a trivial difference and it's basically the Forma's little sibling.

Nope, it's not. But that's my upgrade fever done with for this cycle, which I guess is a plus!
If one already has a recent ereader from the last few years there really isn't much incentive. It's such low tech there really is not much room for growth anymore. Though imo the form factors could have been better on the Kindle and Forma and this new "baby forma". They just don't seem to be really trying anymore. Probably because they don't sell as many as they used to.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's already up on the Kobo AU site. Listed at $249 which is $10 more that the Aura H2O was. Pre-order from September 10th.

Now, the Libra or the Forma? I liked the Forma before my wife saw it. But, the smaller size might be better. Do you think she'd notice if I came back with both?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote