Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Series on Reader

I know series information form the Series column can be upload to the Kobo. But is there any way for Tags to be uploaded as series when there is nothing in Series?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
I think it can be done with Calibre metadata plugboards, but I have no idea what the regular expression would have to be.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
I wanted to try it, but there is no destination field "series" in the plugboards. Possibly it could be done using the subtitle field, in the driver options?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if there was an option in the Kobo driver to allow this to be done. If Series is blank, use the what's in another column. That would work very well.

I hope David chimes in with an answer.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
My tags are automatically sent to my Kobo as Collections. I don't recall doing anything with the driver. The 'Collections columns:' field in the driver reads 'series, tags', maybe its the default, maybe I changed it way back.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
My tags are automatically sent to my Kobo as Collections. I don't recall doing anything with the driver. The 'Collections columns:' field in the driver reads 'series, tags', maybe its the default, maybe I changed it way back.
You get to specify which columns you want to use to create collections. It's something you setup in the KoboTouch and/or KoboTouch Extended driver.

But for sending series to database, I only get it sending the Series column. I don't know if there's a way to do this for a different column when Series is blank.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
It works for me and I see no other setting. The plugboard is empty. I have a few tags without series and they show up as collections on the Kobo.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
It works for me and I see no other setting. The plugboard is empty. I have a few tags without series and they show up as collections on the Kobo.
We are not talking about collections. It's about filling in series in the Kobo's database with something from a different column other then Series.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Just to try and clear this up for my own, and possibly others, I believe Jon wants the following

"Book Of Non Series" 'series info blank' "Tags for Book" as the example would generate "Tags for Book" in the space under the book title on the Kobo which is traditionally reserved for series or subtitle. And I presume for it to not generate collections but I'm unsure on this I can just see tags for books creating far too many collections.

However, he does not want "Book of Series" "Series Name" "Tag for Book of Series" to generate anything other than "Series Name" in the space generally used for series or subtitle.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We are not talking about collections. It's about filling in series in the Kobo's database with something from a different column other then Series.
I shouldn't really speak on behalf of someone else but I can't see davidfor wanting to populate the Series field in the Kobo database with anything other than what's in the calibre Series field.

I think Sirtel has the right idea of using the Kobo Subtitle field to do what you want to do. You could try this...

In your calibre driver 'Metadata tab' check the top 4 boxes and in the 'Subtitle' template text box type this:
Code:
{series:lookup(.,,tags)}
which I believe says, populate Subtitle with
- nothing if there's a Series value
- Tags if there isn't a Series value

In the MyBooks list every book should end up with something in the middle line, either calibre Series value or calibre Tags value

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@JSWolf: There isn't a option in the metadata plugboard to fiddle with the series info. And the idea of doing what you are suggesting is pretty repulsive to me. One of the problems to me is that you will either get the series info, or get the tags. For books in a series, you don't see the tags. That is inconsistent and doesn't make for a good experience. And sorting will be interesting. And as I frequently mention to Kobo my desire to have a Series list in the firmware, I really don't want to do this.

But, use the Subtitle. That will get what you want for all books and leaves the series info as it is meant to be.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I shouldn't really speak on behalf of someone else but I can't see davidfor wanting to populate the Series field in the Kobo database with anything other than what's in the calibre Series field.

I think Sirtel has the right idea of using the Kobo Subtitle field to do what you want to do. You could try this...

In your calibre driver 'Metadata tab' check the top 4 boxes and in the 'Subtitle' template text box type this:
Code:
{series:lookup(.,,tags)}
which I believe says, populate Subtitle with
- nothing if there's a Series value
- Tags if there isn't a Series value

In the MyBooks list every book should end up with something in the middle line, either calibre Series value or calibre Tags value
Thanks you!.That works well.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@JSWolf: There isn't a option in the metadata plugboard to fiddle with the series info. And the idea of doing what you are suggesting is pretty repulsive to me. One of the problems to me is that you will either get the series info, or get the tags. For books in a series, you don't see the tags. That is inconsistent and doesn't make for a good experience. And sorting will be interesting. And as I frequently mention to Kobo my desire to have a Series list in the firmware, I really don't want to do this.

But, use the Subtitle. That will get what you want for all books and leaves the series info as it is meant to be.
Yes, Subtitle works for what I want. I just want to see what the tag is that I have the books under that do not have series info.