Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #28156
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've been waiting to see what you made of it. You may have noticed I recently listed this as did-not-finish. I think the biggest reason was that I found Grant and his boss instantly dislikeable. I guess the language was part of that, but I think most of it was what I felt the writing was overly self-conscious. Anyway, I was interested to see your reaction.
It's certainly not her best work, and is her first or second published novel.
There's clearly a problem of racist language and attitudes in the first part of the book, which resurfaces in a different form in the Scottish part. Probably completely unremarkable at the time, which I suppose shows how things have improved.

I quite like the way Inspector Grant is puzzled by the case. And there are some signs of the good writing to come. (I especially liked the Princess and the Pea analogy.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #28157
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I'm finally going to start Wheel of Time. It's been delayed too many times.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #28158
Number9
Connoisseur
Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.Number9 lived happily ever after.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I'm finally going to start Wheel of Time. It's been delayed too many times.
What a great series that is! I'm about to start book 7 soon. 👍
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #28159
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's certainly not her best work, and is her first or second published novel.
There's clearly a problem of racist language and attitudes in the first part of the book, which resurfaces in a different form in the Scottish part. Probably completely unremarkable at the time, which I suppose shows how things have improved.

I quite like the way Inspector Grant is puzzled by the case. And there are some signs of the good writing to come. (I especially liked the Princess and the Pea analogy.)
Yes, we read it for the old MR Book Club (a re-read in my case), and it had both virtues and those now highly jarring and racists sections. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it did require a willing suspension of modern day sensibilities. I'm hoping that we don't run into similar problems with next month's New Leaf Book Club reading of A Daughter of Time.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #28160
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Grayson Manor Haunting by Cheryl Bradshaw. Nothing very surprising here: a clumsy romance, a fairly standard ghost and your average* medium coming into her talent. If you're happy enough to buy into the spirit* of this for the duration, it is light and easy reading, but that's about all. 2.5/5 ( * Sorry, couldn't help myself. No, the book is not a comedy. And yes, this is a real fence sitter score. )

The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale. I loved this. Magical and emotionally intense! The first part was essentially sweet with only hints of darkness, so I came to love the characters and toys and the setting, but then the Great War hits and everything starts to fall apart. Wonderfully done. Except very early on, the story rarely went where I expected it to go, and it felt longer than it was, but in a good way: it seemed to pack a lot in. I didn't want to rush it but couldn't put it down. 5/5

I need some time to wind down from The Toymakers, so I'm moving on to some non-fiction for a day or two: Scientific American's Physics: New Frontiers.

Last edited by gmw; Today at 07:34 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #28161
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next will be The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke. My oldest unread book from 2014.
At first I was struggling with this but I held on and in the end it was superb. The author's style is not my favorite but I grew to enjoy it a lot. Strong sense of place. I actually felt I was in New Orleans experiencing everything alongside the main character who is one tortured soul. Poor guy. This is not a cozy. Pronounced violence. A good solid read. Make that a very good read. Rated B+ [4 stars].

Next TBD.

Last edited by Fbone; Today at 06:32 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote