Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
RhD97
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Can this damage the battery?

I was charging my Kindle and at some point I had to disconnect the charger from the USB and plug it back a few seconds later. I wonder if this unplug-plug thing can damage the battery life
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not an engineer but I have read quite a bit on the care of lithium ion batteries and I've never read of that being a problem. That doesn't mean that it's not but my guess is that it's not. I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself if I had a reason.

These batteries are pretty sturdy. Most of the things that can shorten their lives have just a small effect. For example there's a chart on batteryuniversity.org that shows that batteries last longer if you keep them charged around 40% to 60%. This is from memory so I may not have that exactly right. But if you charge them fully it just takes a little bit off their overall lifetime. I always charge mine to 100% even though I know that isn't optimal. I just find it convenient and my batteries tend to last a long time.

I know this isn't a real answer to your question but I hope it helps.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I was charging my Kindle and at some point I had to disconnect the charger from the USB and plug it back a few seconds later. I wonder if this unplug-plug thing can damage the battery life
It didn't affect your battery at all, but you did use up one of the thousands of mechanical plug/unplug cycles of the USB plug and socket.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
RhD97
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It didn't affect your battery at all, but you did use up one of the thousands of mechanical plug/unplug cycles of the USB plug and socket.
What is this cycle exactly?
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Plugging the cable in, then unplugging it. This can be done thousands of times, but eventually something will wear out or break.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Just physical wear and tear on the USB socket/plug in the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote