Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I just purchased the Fire HD 10 plus, it was $50 off so I decided to up on the deal. I have always just used the Kindle ebook readers. and an iPad, can someone tell me their experience with reading ebooks on the HD 10.
I never liked reading novels on any backlit device. I used the Fire 10" for magazines, but that was long before I had an iPad. Now that I use iDevices, I don't use any android devices, and wouldn't use a Fire if it was given to me. I had 5-6 various models of the Fire tablets, and learned to really hate them. The 7" HDX was terrific, but they really cheapened them as time went on.

I'm sometimes forced to use my iPad or iPad mini to read a library borrow, if the book isn't available in Kindle format. Since I do the bulk of my reading in bed, without my glasses, I don't care for the experience. (I have to hold the device very close to my eyes)

For cookbooks, magazines, books with many pictures, I use my iPad Pro.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I never liked reading novels on any backlit device. I used the Fire 10" for magazines, but that was long before I had an iPad. Now that I use iDevices, I don't use any android devices, and wouldn't use a Fire if it was given to me. I had 5-6 various models of the Fire tablets, and learned to really hate them. The 7" HDX was terrific, but they really cheapened them as time went on.

I'm sometimes forced to use my iPad or iPad mini to read a library borrow, if the book isn't available in Kindle format. Since I do the bulk of my reading in bed, without my glasses, I don't care for the experience. (I have to hold the device very close to my eyes)

For cookbooks, magazines, books with many pictures, I use my iPad Pro.
I have the iPad mini and I have gotten where I only use it to read my ebooks due to my eye sight and have to enlarge the print so I can see it. I am hoping the extra couple of inches of the fire will let me enlarge it a little more. My wife has the fire had 8 and loves it, if I don’t like the fire then I know my wife will really like it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe I will like the Fire HD 10 plus, I like that I can set larger text size and still have a good amount of text on the screen, I like the text to speech, and the wireless charging. No it isn’t a iPad but neither does it cost the amount of the iPad
Old 08-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I believe I will like the Fire HD 10 plus, I like that I can set larger text size and still have a good amount of text on the screen, I like the text to speech, and the wireless charging. No it isn’t a iPad but neither does it cost the amount of the iPad
That is the main selling point. If you already have an iPad, however, there is not much point in getting Fire HD 10 Plus (other than text to speech, which is arguably better than Speak Screen, but worse if TTS is blocked).

I have a FireHD 8 Plus, it is perfectly fine, but it gets light use: I also have an iPad mini.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life

Due to my eye sight I am finding the fire HD 10 is giving me large enough text for reading. Being retired I just couldn't justify the cost of the large iPad.
Advert
Old 08-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I would hope an iDevice would provide a better experience than a Fire! But that said, some of us have beer budgets and I don’t see the point of saying that a Fire tablet isn’t as good as an iPad. I think the Fire tablets are a terrific value, especially when you can catch them on sale and get a deal on a trade-in, also. I have the latest Fire HD 8 and while I prefer my Kobos for reading, I’m frequently lazy and can’t be bothered when I need to sideload something first. It’s fine. The one issue I’ve run into with Fire tablets is that they tend to get slow as they age. At that point, it’s worth trading in on the latest iteration.

Definitely take the two minutes or so necessary to add Google Play to the device.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #22
cvkemp
Loving life

Yes, definitely install Google play store, it makes a world of difference. I wanted to get the large iPad but couldn’t see paying the difference, I got the newest Fire HD 10 plus for $129 and the iPad would have cost about $550 or $600 even with a trade in.

with some shopping and looking I got the table, a 128gig SD card, and the Amazon case for the original asking price of the tablet by itself.

Last edited by cvkemp; 08-23-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:14 AM   #23
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i'm enjoying mine but i suppose it's not for everyone
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote