Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Time for a new stylus

My Adonit Jot Dash died quite spontaneously, yesterday. So now, I'm looking for its replacement. Apple Pencil (1st Gen, I only have a 2017 Pro) or... something else...

I was using the Dash for fine edits on photographs more than anything else, if that helps you to make recommendations?

Suggestions please, if you will...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or perhaps not. The Dash suddenly recovered from its hysterics and is now working. I'm still interested in alternatives though.
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm not familiar with the Adonit Jot Dash or its capability. I have the Apple Pencil 1 (AP1) which I use with my iPad Pro 9.7" and it does a fine job with artwork. But I cannot compare it to other styli because it is the only one I've ever owned. I will say that it has two weaknesses though.

First weakness is the stupid design which requires you to remove the back end cap and plug it into a lightning port to charge. That is kluge to say the least.

Second weakness is also battery related. At first the AP1 retained a charge quite well, but the battery degraded rather fast and within a year or so it was draining the battery fairly fast even when not in use. Mine still is usable, but I have to be aware that if I haven't used it in a few days and it isn't on a charger, then the battery will probably be very low. It charges up fast but just be aware that the battery was not well designed. Others have also mentioned this issue.

I also think the price of the AP1 is too high. Probably a very good deal at $50, but at $100 it is overpriced IMO.

Last edited by OtinG; 05-12-2019 at 10:12 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
What he said. AP1 is the way to go, but it does have those weaknesses. Having just got one though, it works so well I'd do it again. But I'd say if you're only a casual stylus user--if you don't KNOW you need one--I'd skip it or try something else that's cheaper.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard

Thanks, guys. Maybe I will just stick with the Dash, then. I don't need it for anything other than fine photo editing (healing out random items that spoil the look etc), I don't sketch or write with it. I use it with Adobe Fix on my iPad and that works beautifully.

@ OtinG: If you wanted to know about the Dash, info is at https://www.adonit.net/dash/

I chose it at the time because the Apple Pencil was incompatible with my devices, and it seemed to be flexible enough for my uses. It has a little charging device that plugs into a USB port and then the top of it clicks into place magnetically on top of that. It works. (except it didnt the other day). I wanted a Pencil but can't justify the cost. I think I would have to get one of those tethering things off ebay, so I wouldnt lose the cap, I'm hopeless like that. I guess Pencil isnt for me.
Advert
Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have a couple of Adonit (capacitative + Bluetooth) styluses, they’re fine, as far as it goes. One inconvenience is keeping track of the charger; another is that they roll off of surfaces easily, and don’t have a clip to keep them from sliding out of the pen pocket on my Scott-e vest (eventually I wrapped a flat rubber band around them to create a bit of friction). I have a Pencil by 53 (flat like Logitech Crayon) which you can charge by pulling off the ‘barrel’ and plugging the guts into USB port. And it has an eraser (if app supports that).

But the stylus situation on iOS is still too complicated: no iPhone support other than capacitative, different AP’s for different iPads, Logitech Crayon works with only latest generation iPads, capacitative styluses (like Dash) are not accurate enough for all applications, and other third party Bluetooth enabled solutions (including Adonits) only expose their advanced capabilities with a handful of apps (notably not Apple’s).

I’m hoping Logitech is first of at least a few other vendors who build on the hardware and iOS support that is finally here.

But even now, the pairing AP and LC employ is different and mutually exclusive: if AP is paired, you have to Forget the pairing before you can connect LC. LC can seamlessly change from one iPad to another once it is turned on (it is proximity based, not ‘paired’). With AP you have to pair before it can be used with another iPad. And neither one supports the gestures to reveal dock, notifications or control panel (as capacitative styluses do).

A little more info about LC: charging is convenient (any Lightning charger works) but takes about an hour as opposed to 30 minutes for AP. And needs charging more often. You need to press power to turn it on, it turns off automatically after 30 minutes, but you can turn it off explicitly. Power level does not display in Power Widget on iPad, but you can press power button to check level (green amber red I think - haven’t used it enough yet to deplete battery).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote