Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Two good add-ons for the 2019 Mini

I tried two add-ons for the new Mini 2019. First is the Gen 1 Apple Pencil. Support for it is new in this Mini. At first I was skeptical of its usefulness. After getting it, found it was good for note taking in apps that do handwriting recognition, and for sketching in the free Autodesk sketch app. And started using it for other things. When browsing in Safari I often select content, then bookmark pages, or send to Pocket, and then share selected content or cut clips to my content aggregation app. The pencil is great for this, makes the tasks more precise than using my fingers.

The other item is an Omoton screen protector. I usually don't get screen protectors for my phones, and it's probably not necessary on the Mini. But with lots of stylus use I expect increased risk of surface scratching. The Omoton is tempered glass, easy to apply. It doesn't reduce the touch sensitivity, and works fine with the pencil.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:07 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I agree the Apple Pencil 1 is a great accessory. I bought one for my Apple Pro 9.7” and it has been well worth the investment. The battery in the AP1 is starting to drain fairly fast now. It is only 2 years old so I am surprised the battery degraded so much in that time. Fortunately it charges really fast. I also bought this charging stand for the AP1 so I don’t have to plug it into the iPad and a neoprene skin so the AP1 isn’t slippery and it makes it fatter and thus easier to hold and use.

ETA: As @pwalker8 mentions below there is an adapter in the box with the AP1 that allows you to use a standard lightning cable to charge the AP1. However, I really didn't like having to keep track of a small adapter and opted to go with an inexpensive dedicated charger.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-17-2019 at 10:26 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The AP1 actually comes with a small attachment that will let you charge with a normal iPad charger and lightning cable. It's easy to miss in the package though. I noticed that the AP1 battery degraded fairly quickly.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I love the Apple Pencil on both my first gen Pro and the new one. I use it all the time as a stylus.

I don't know if I'd like as much on the mini, but I don't use my mini for the same productivity as I do the Pro.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The AP1 actually comes with a small attachment that will let you charge with a normal iPad charger and lightning cable. It's easy to miss in the package though. I noticed that the AP1 battery degraded fairly quickly.
Lol, I managed to lose that mini adapter on day 1.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's why I opted to go with an inexpensive, dedicated charger. I knew I would probably lose that adapter, plus I didn't care to be taking it on and off of the lightning cable. It is much easier to have a dedicated charger that lets me set the AP1 butt-first into it. BTW, the skin I bought keeps the end cap from getting lost, but that design of the AP1 where we have to remove the end cap to charge was piss poor.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would have been cool if they had enabled AP2 support. But AP1 is still awesome. At first I tried to cut corners and get one of those $30 styli. What a mistake. No pressure sensitivity, constantly having to hold at unnatural angles to get it to write correctly. No such issues with AP1.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
They sell little rubber attachments that are two piece, one for the AP1 that goes on the pencil itself and holds the cap when it's been removed from the end, and the other piece goes on the end of a cable that holds the adapter piece.

The one I bought was called a Pencil Cozy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
hollowpoint
Groupie

^Those are useful. I have both of those items too. If I didn't have the cap attachment I'd lose it. If I didn't attach the AP1 adapter to my lightning charging cable, I'd lose that too.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I purchased this neoprene pencil skin and it keeps the end cap from being lost. Apple really pisses me off with their form over function designs. I needed a thicker less slippery pencil, so I had to get the skin. The AP2 is an even worse design IMO. It is designed to be used without a skin along with the iPad Pro with no case. I have never had an iPad or iPhone that wasn't immediately placed in a good Otterbox case to spend its life. I could not care less what the iPad or AP looks like, I’m more concerned with what I can do with them.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Speaking of design issues, there are reports that several of the Samsung folding phones that were sent to notable reviewers for reviewing purposes have quickly developed broken screens! These are $2000 phones, so Samsung might take a big hit if this turns out to be a design flaw. Maybe they will take a page from Apple and tell the customers they are holding the phones incorrectly!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
hollowpoint
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Maybe they will take a page from Apple and tell the customers they are holding the phones incorrectly!
Or the other time-tested approach tech companies will use: question the user's sanity or competence. "It worked perfectly on our test machine/model/copy...."
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
hollowpoint
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I noticed that the AP1 battery degraded fairly quickly.
Missed this comment the first time around. That's a downer because I'm really liking the AP1 + Mini, it's a killer combination that's boosting productivity in unexpected ways. But it is one expensive stylus to have to buy again. How long did yours last?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
Missed this comment the first time around. That's a downer because I'm really liking the AP1 + Mini, it's a killer combination that's boosting productivity in unexpected ways. But it is one expensive stylus to have to buy again. How long did yours last?
At least two of us posted this about the fast degradation of the AP1 battery. I've had my AP1 for two years now, and the battery drains fairly rapidly, but it is still usable. The battery is still capable of taking a charge, will still charge fairly quick, and holds the charge long enough to be a useful tool. But it is annoying that it drains as fast as it does after only two years. I doubt I will need to buy a replacement any time soon. But I do have to charge it regularly so that it is ready to work when I need to use it.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
hollowpoint
Groupie

^OK thanks for the overview on the battery life.

I've only had to charge the AP1 a couple times since owning it. But already, here's the thing you really miss: a charge status light. You know, something that's say green when charged, red when charging or out, yellow when almost out. It'd be nice to have a little heads up on what your charge level is.