Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
kittensauce
kittensauce began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A cut up credit card and a small screw driver is about all you need for the K3.
The K3 comes open fairly easily.
Ref:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3_Index#Teardowns
Ah, that looks easier than I thought! Usually, the devices I (try to) repair have a lot of adhesive. But it seems that the K3 doesn't have any at all. The only thing I'm worried about is losing all those screws. Thank you!
kittensauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensauce View Post
Ah, that looks easier than I thought! Usually, the devices I (try to) repair have a lot of adhesive. But it seems that the K3 doesn't have any at all. The only thing I'm worried about is losing all those screws. Thank you!
Have a small bowl handy for the screws.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Well, in that case (no pun intended), swap your broken K3 for a broken K4 - -
Then you will have more adhesive than a sane person can stand.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #19
kittensauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Have a small bowl handy for the screws.
I've heard an ice tray works well, too (when dealing with different sizes). In the worst case scenario, of course, I'll only have to spend a few cents on new screws.

Quote:
Well, in that case (no pun intended), swap your broken K3 for a broken K4 - -
Then you will have more adhesive than a sane person can stand.
Maybe it's only devices with touchscreens, then. I've broken at least three iPhones trying to repair their fragile screens. Hopefully, I'll only ever have to break three. :P

Also, is it just me, or are there more broken Kindle Fires than there are broken Kindles? I see about three Kindle HD's stuck on the boot screen for every one Kindle I see with a cracked display. I could just looking in the wrong place.

Last edited by kittensauce; 04-15-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I've heard an ice tray works well, too (when dealing with different sizes). In the worst case scenario, of course, I'll only have to spend a few cents on new screws.

Maybe it's only devices with touchscreens, then. I've broken at least three iPhones trying to repair their fragile screens. Hopefully, I'll only ever have to break three. :P

Also, is it just me, or are there more broken Kindle Fires than there are broken Kindles? I see about three Kindle HD's stuck on the boot screen for every one Kindle I see with a cracked display. I could just looking in the wrong place.
Tiny screws cost dollars not cents.
Pretty much whatever you have handy to hold the screws. An egg carton would also work.
Oh and thanks, you gave me an idea for sorting beads.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
- - - -
The K4 was an exception to the rule of minimal glue.
Models before and after are relatively easy to open.

The K4 was a model where a lot of different ideas where tried.
Both in the firmware and in the hardware design.
As a result, you will find frequent mentions of K4 with cracked screens.
In fact, we even have an add-in for the K4 that allows a person to use the remaining 1/3 -- 1/2 screen that is still working.
Luckily they don't build them like that anymore.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Voyage is the easiest Kindle to disassemble. Pry off the shiny bit at the top of the back cover, undo 4 screws, then the back just slides off. No glue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Voyage is the easiest Kindle to disassemble. Pry off the shiny bit at the top of the back cover, undo 4 screws, then the back just slides off. No glue.
Similar to the K2 and the DX(G) models, except that they only had two screws.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks to Harry, I was curious about this myself.

I discovered a wonderful video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHM6tdHeCiE

The video is about taking apart the Voyage.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks to Harry, I was curious about this myself.

I discovered a wonderful video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHM6tdHeCiE

The video is about taking apart the Voyage.
Super!

We are missing index pages for a few models, but KV - that one we have:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KV_Index

You get to be the first to add a section and a link (if you don't count "placeholder").
Other model index pages along top of that page will give lots of examples.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #26
kittensauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Tiny screws cost dollars not cents.
In that case, I'm sure the device doesn't depend on the screws to function, haha.
Quote:
The K4 was an exception to the rule of minimal glue.
Models before and after are relatively easy to open.

The K4 was a model where a lot of different ideas where tried.
Both in the firmware and in the hardware design.
As a result, you will find frequent mentions of K4 with cracked screens.
In fact, we even have an add-in for the K4 that allows a person to use the remaining 1/3 -- 1/2 screen that is still working.
Luckily they don't build them like that anymore.
Well, then, I certainly won't be buying one of those. If my luck permits it, I hope I won't have to fix one of them, either...

Regarding the Voyage - wow, that really is easy to fix! But, ah, looks like Amazon is still pushing out updates for it. I presume this would make it harder to jailbreak.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
In that case, I'm sure the device doesn't depend on the screws to function, haha.

Well, then, I certainly won't be buying one of those. If my luck permits it, I hope I won't have to fix one of them, either...

Regarding the Voyage - wow, that really is easy to fix! But, ah, looks like Amazon is still pushing out updates for it. I presume this would make it harder to jailbreak.
It is not a matter of what updates are posted for the model.
It only matters what firmware version is running on the model.

The KV jail breaks exactly the same as the other models, as long as it is not running 5.8.8 or 5.8.9
And so far, none are being shipped with those versions.
(The Kindle will not OTA update in the box, the 'shipping mode' prohibits it.)
Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #28
kittensauce

Quote:
It is not a matter of what updates are posted for the model.
It only matters what firmware version is running on the model.
I know. I was referring to when an update is required, e.g. after screwing with system files -- what I did.

Quote:
The KV jail breaks exactly the same as the other models, as long as it is not running 5.8.8 or 5.8.9
And so far, none are being shipped with those versions.
(The Kindle will not OTA update in the box, the 'shipping mode' prohibits it.)
I didn't know that the Kindle had a "shipping mode". How generous of Amazon
Though, I figure that the KV will be shipping with those versions soon enough, if Amazon is like any other company that wants to prevent unauthorized modifications to their devices (Sony, Nintendo, et cetera).

Regarding my poor Kindle: I ordered a K3W off of eBay, with a broken screen. As it turns out, swapping motherboards is a lot easier than swapping screens - so that's what I did. The charge light turns on with the new motherboard, so hopefully it'll boot up. It certainly would be nice if it cleared the screen, or something, when it turns on. I suppose that's one of the downfalls of eInk displays.
On a related note, does anyone want a K3W with a bloated battery, a nonfunctional motherboard, and a cracked screen? :P
Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
kittensauce

No luck; the K3 still won't boot. This narrows down the possibilities:
- my power switch/battery/charging port/other internal device is broken
- the replacement Kindle I bought also was unable to boot (though, it was listed as in a working condition)
- the casing of my Kindle somehow spreads this bizarre malfunction
- the Kindle was a hallucination all along
Basically, what I get is the orange light turning on when plugged in and turning off when unplugged. I've tried holding the switch for 20, 30, 40 seconds. Still nothing. The "DON'T PANIC" screensaver will be there to haunt me forever. I swear, every piece of technology I get my hands on is, or becomes, cursed in one way or another...

I feel like I should stop buying junk from that thrift store, but I know that'll never happen.

Tags
kindle keyboard