Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
canibalector
canibalector began at the beginning.

Device: N96ML
N96ML Brightness

Today I've received a brand-new N96 ML. After some initial settings, I was ready to enjoy this superb ereader when I noticed that the backlight was just too dim. Side by side, a Boyue T62+ set at its minimum is brighter than the Boox at its maximum.

After some research on the internet, (the few) owners out there dont' seem to complain on this regard. On the contrary, reviewers tend to praise its brightness. So, I was wondering if 1) I'm being too picky or 2) the device is somehow faulty.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE
June 30, 2016 at 22.28

I had the idea to measure the brightness with a photo exposimeter (Sekonic L-308S), and found the following results:

Boyue T62+
Maximum: 11 EV (5120 Lux)
Minimum: 7 EV (320 Lux)

Boox N96ML
Maximum: 6 EV (160 Lux)
Minimum: 3 EV (30 Lux)

To put into perspective these data, let's consider a simple list from this page:

Condition — Illumination (Lux)
Sunlight — 107,527
Full Daylight — 10,752.7
Overcast Day — 1,075.3
Very Dark Day — 107.53
Twilight — 10.75
Deep Twilight — 1.08
Full Moon — .108
Quarter Moon — .0108
Starlight — .0011
Overcast Night — .0001

These are some common indoor light levels (in lux):

Warehouses, Homes, Theaters, Archives — 150
Easy Office Work, Classes — 250
Normal Office Work, PC Work, Study Library, Groceries, Show Rooms, Laboratories — 500
Supermarkets, Mechanical Workshops, Office Landscapes — 750
Normal Drawing Work, Detailed Mechanical Workshops, Operation Theatres — 1,000
Detailed Drawing Work, Very Detailed Mechanical Works — 1,500 - 2,000

Conclusions

As many have reported, the maximum brightness of the Boyue T62+ goes far beyond what is needed to read comfortably. About 1/2 of the brightness would be more than enough.

On the other hand, the Boox N96ML lags way behind in this regard. Without ambient light, it would be almost like reading in a very dark day, or in a theater. Is it possible? No doubt. But it will be rapidly tiresome. A word of advice: in this case, don't depend exclusively on the light of the device.

Last edited by canibalector; 07-01-2016 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Changed image size
canibalector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
Yes I agree the frontlight on N96 is too dim comparing to my kindle papaerwhite.. most of time I have to set it at max level..
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Can't really talk about the n96, by for the t68 I had read several complaints by people about the lowest brightness setting being too bright, which which led to changes for the t68+. I actually normally use the two lowest brightness settings, since if there's enough light in the room already i just switch it off and if it's dark (ish), I actually find it easier on the eyes with low brightness.
That's not to say you're wrong in wanting it brighter, just to provide perspective on other usage patterns (and maybe some reasons for why onyx might be keeping it less bright?).

That being said, the contrast in your picture does indeed seem quite extreme considering the left is lowest brightness and the right highest! As I said, got no experience with the n96 in actual usage, so don't know of this is expected (or if I'd find it too dark for my usage pattern). As it seems to bother you, might be worth getting in touch with your seller or with onyx..
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
I have noticed that my N96ML isn't that bright either. But reading in the dark it was acceptable to me as not sure if super bright light glaring at me is good for my eyes. However I will have to compare the brightness levels of the Onyx N96ML vs. my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight too when I get home. I'll try to post a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Can't really talk about the n96, by for the t68 I had read several complaints by people about the lowest brightness setting being too bright, which which led to changes for the t68+. I actually normally use the two lowest brightness settings, since if there's enough light in the room already i just switch it off and if it's dark (ish), I actually find it easier on the eyes with low brightness.
That's not to say you're wrong in wanting it brighter, just to provide perspective on other usage patterns (and maybe some reasons for why onyx might be keeping it less bright?).

That being said, the contrast in your picture does indeed seem quite extreme considering the left is lowest brightness and the right highest! As I said, got no experience with the n96 in actual usage, so don't know of this is expected (or if I'd find it too dark for my usage pattern). As it seems to bother you, might be worth getting in touch with your seller or with onyx..
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
canibalector

I agree that the T62+ maximum brightness is just too bright (though useful in some situations). That's why, during night reading with no ambient lighting, I usually set it to something around 5 to 8 bars. I've seen some Kindle devices and they are just as bright. On the contrary, the N96ML feels dim, but I don't have a way to compare with other N96ML units to realize if this is intended.
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Speaking as a T68+ owner, there doesn't seem much variation in brightness in a T68+. The lowest setting does seem extremely bright, but I don't use it much in the dark.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
canibalector

Thanks to Dr. Drib for its warning. I've changed the image resolution.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
dbz2020
dbz2020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibalector View Post
Today I've received a brand-new N96 ML. After some initial settings, I was ready to enjoy this superb ereader when I noticed that the backlight was just too dim. Side by side, a Boyue T62+ set at its minimum is brighter than the Boox at its maximum.

After some research on the internet, (the few) owners out there dont' seem to complain on this regard. On the contrary, reviewers tend to praise its brightness. So, I was wondering if 1) I'm being too picky or 2) the device is somehow faulty.

Any thoughts?
I have both the i86 and the n96ml. The screen brightness is comparable between these two ereaders, but I find the n96ml slightly more even.

On originally researching which ereader I wanted, I ran across the same thing others here have said that the earlier Onyx models had complaints about the backlight being too bright and the newer models were adjusted down in brightness in response. So to your second question/point, I do not think your device is faulty.

As to your first point, my own personal use (opinion), for low light and complete darkness situations, I have to say that I think I'd rather have a backlight than none at all - it definitely seems to improve the contrast even if there is enough ambient light. As for the intensity, I find in absolutely dark situations that I'm most comfortable in the middle setting on the n96 or i86 - of course this would vary by individual, but I think my eyes adjust just fine and too bright actually lowers the contrast in these situations. The n96's backlight evenness is actually the point I find most pleasing over the i86's higher res screen, as the i86 backlight is slightly uneven.

Mostly with your comparison, I think it is counter productive to compare the models you have side-by-side. I think the brighter one will always make the dimmer one look too dim. You may have already done this, but I would use the n96 for a while on its own and see how it fits with the way you use it.
dbz2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibalector View Post
Thanks to Dr. Drib for its warning. I've changed the image resolution.
That looks perfect.

Thank you!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
canibalector

I had the idea to measure the brightness with a photo exposimeter (Sekonic L-308S), and found the following results:

Boyue T62+
Maximum: 11 EV (5120 Lux)
Minimum: 7 EV (320 Lux)

Boox N96ML
Maximum: 6 EV (160 Lux)
Minimum: 3 EV (30 Lux)

To put into perspective these data, let's consider a simple list from this page:

Condition — Illumination (Lux)
Sunlight — 107,527
Full Daylight — 10,752.7
Overcast Day — 1,075.3
Very Dark Day — 107.53
Twilight — 10.75
Deep Twilight — 1.08
Full Moon — .108
Quarter Moon — .0108
Starlight — .0011
Overcast Night — .0001

These are some common indoor light levels (in lux):

Warehouses, Homes, Theaters, Archives — 150
Easy Office Work, Classes — 250
Normal Office Work, PC Work, Study Library, Groceries, Show Rooms, Laboratories — 500
Supermarkets, Mechanical Workshops, Office Landscapes — 750
Normal Drawing Work, Detailed Mechanical Workshops, Operation Theatres — 1,000
Detailed Drawing Work, Very Detailed Mechanical Works — 1,500 - 2,000

Conclusions

As many have reported, the maximum brightness of the Boyue T62+ goes far beyond what is needed to read comfortably. About 1/2 of the brightness would be more than enough.

On the other hand, the Boox N96ML lags way behind in this regard. Without ambient light, it would be almost like reading in a very dark day, or in a theater. Is it possible? No doubt. But it will be rapidly tiresome. A word of advice: in this case, don't depend exclusively on the light of the device.

[I will pin it to the first post as well]

Tags
boox n96ml, brightness