Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
stankovic
stankovic began at the beginning.

Device: none
I need a colour e-ink ebook reader

Hi all , I am noob when it comes to ebooks (I don't really know much about them), Anyway I really need an ebook reader /tablet with colour display, however I don't want one that would strain my eyes, so I would really appreciate if you guys could suggest a colour e-ink ebook reader that I could purchase. Thanks in advance.
stankovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Color eink is not ready for prime time. It is washed out looking. What is it you want color for? You will probably be better off with a tablet, if you really need color. Eink readers are really meant for novels, non-fiction, etc, not most magazines, etc. analog magazine is ok on it, but it is all text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Ectaco jetBook Color 2 is about the only one around. But it's expensive and the colour isn't great.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color2_Black/?refid=40816

I'm rather surprised that no-one's done one with a front light yet, as that would make the screen much more readable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Ectaco jetBook Color 2 is about the only one around. But it's expensive and the colour isn't great.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color2_Black/?refid=40816

I'm rather surprised that no-one's done one with a front light yet, as that would make the screen much more readable.
You mean like the pocketbook color lux? They have done it with 8" and it sucks..
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
There is also the Pocketbook Color Lux, which has an 8-inch screen and is cheaper. It's currently not available from Pocketbook, Amazon or Ebay, but you can still find it on some websites, for example:
http://www.legalo.eu/de/pocketbook-color-lux.html

Reviews for color e-ink are mixed, a lot of people are disappointed with the screen. Check photos and videos online before you commit to buy.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
You mean like the pocketbook color lux? They have done it with 8" and it sucks..
Ah - I'd forgotten that one. But it seems to me that the criticism of it was the software, the slow processor, and the low resolution. Not the colour rendition when the front light was on.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi gamba66, you were a few minutes faster ��
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'd love to see a hi-res triton/mobius mix with front light. But currently Mobius is only 150dpi, which would make a triton version only 75dpi - far too low.

Back in 2010 I made a bet that a low power colour display capable of video display would ship by the end of 2015. It's beginning to look like it won't make that date. But I still have several years before the balance of the bet moves against me.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I'd love to see a hi-res triton/mobius mix with front light. But currently Mobius is only 150dpi, which would make a triton version only 75dpi - far too low.

Back in 2010 I made a bet that a low power colour display capable of video display would ship by the end of 2015. It's beginning to look like it won't make that date. But I still have several years before the balance of the bet moves against me.
Well the Mobius is up to at least 213 dpi on 6" devices. See our wiki WEXLER. Flex ONE. And I suspect they can get to 250 which will match the PocketBook Color Lux which is currently the highest rev color device. You may win your bet yet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
stankovic

Thanks for all your contributions. I guess I would go for a tablet but I need some advise on the best tablets below $60 (preferably 7 or 8 inches tablets)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Are there any 7 or 8 inch tablets below $60 at all? I suppose there must be some second-hand ones.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Are there any 7 or 8 inch tablets below $60 at all? I suppose there must be some second-hand ones.
Try http://www.heartlandamerica.com/ They always seem to have some cheap tablets. Some may be refurbished.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-31-2015 at 04:49 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #13
stankovic

I have been doing some googling on tablets and I came across this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2QBMFQ?psc=1 .

I don't really know much about tablets / ebook readers so I would appreciate if you guys could tell me what you think about it. I am willing to spend about $70 on a good tablet, I saw some refurbished kindle on amazon for about that price but I am not too sure if Kindle tablets are good.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stankovic View Post
I saw some refurbished kindle on amazon for about that price but I am not too sure if Kindle tablets are good.
Kindle Fire tablets are excellent if you want to use them for the purpose they're sold for: Amazon content consumption. As general-purpose tablets they aren't so good (eg many apps aren't available in Amazon's app store).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
stankovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindle Fire tablets are excellent if you want to use them for the purpose they're sold for: Amazon content consumption. As general-purpose tablets they aren't so good (eg many apps aren't available in Amazon's app store).

I am guessing its best to stick with android tablets then? Does anyone know about Dragon touch brands? I've seen some of them on Amazon but I don't know if they are reliable. Which android tab is best ?