Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Firefox 33.1 Add Ons

Anyone any comments to make about the new add ons (I think they were all add ons) that were included with the latest Firefox upgrade?

DuckDuckGo
Forget Button
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I thought they always had the DuckDuckGo search engine.

EDIT: Turns out this was the linux distros adding it in themselves.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-11-2014 at 12:30 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I am on Firefox 33.1 and I don't have those add-ons. I don't want or have no need for them. Firefox 33.1 did not come with those add-ons.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I thought they always had the DuckDuckGo search engine.

EDIT: Turns out this was the linux distros adding it in themselves.
DuckDuckGo is also on the windows version.

In fact, I see "Add Mobileread" on a separate just before the "Manage Search Engines" since I'm on this site; will check when I leave. Could be another "smart" idea to aid the user.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Nothing new in the Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) version.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
DuckDuckGo is also on the windows version.
The point is that Ubuntu and other linux distros have been patching Firefox for years, to add DuckDuckGo by default. Windows has only just gotten caught up.

Quote:
In fact, I see "Add Mobileread" on a separate just before the "Manage Search Engines" since I'm on this site; will check when I leave. Could be another "smart" idea to aid the user.
That is because Search Engines is an open standard, any website can add one simply by linking their XML description in the header, allowing the user to add new search engines. Most websites with a search feature do, MobileRead's is this for example:

https://www.mobileread.com/static/search.xml

You can also find an extensive list of extra search engines here: http://mycroftproject.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Nothing new in the Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) version.
See above.

If you were using Mozilla's independent binaries you would now have a new search engine. And are you saying you don't see the Forget button in that stupid imitation-Chrome "Menu" button?

I am currently an Arch Linux user, so I didn't get DuckDuckGo patched in (Arch linux maintains the KISS approach and refuses to patch things except in rare cases, that is upstream's job), and now it appeared, but the last time I actually bothered to check the default search engines was on Ubuntu, hence my initial confusion.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote