Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Smashwords was down when I first tried to go to the link, but a few minutes later, it was back up with no problems. So if it first you can't succeed, try again.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Glad you did! But yeah, Smashwords as been encountering these sorts of problems recently; I guess it's down to the site becoming more and more popular. Hopefully, they'll be looking into some server upgrades in the near furture.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post
^^ Thanks for the info - would you be so kind as to tell me what kinds of problems this might be causing? Thing is, I don't have a Kindle myself, so I'm a bit in the dark about at the moment!
A picture is worth 1000 words so here are screens shot of the metadata of the mobi and the ePub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 5.11.02 PM.png
Views:	324
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	53639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 5.11.37 PM.png
Views:	387
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	53640  
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^Hi rcuadro. Yeah, I've been looking into it. Currently at work on a standalone Kindle version; I've also been in contact with the Smashwords guys about it, and they're taking it pretty seriously. My recommendation (if anyone has a Kindle) dowload the epub version of the ebook, and use Calibre (available as a free download - http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) to reformat the epub file as a .mobi. I've tried this myself, and it works! The resultant .mobi file is a hell of a lot better than the Smashwords one.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post
^^Hi rcuadro. Yeah, I've been looking into it. Currently at work on a standalone Kindle version; I've also been in contact with the Smashwords guys about it, and they're taking it pretty seriously. My recommendation (if anyone has a Kindle) dowload the epub version of the ebook, and use Calibre (available as a free download - http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) to reformat the epub file as a .mobi. I've tried this myself, and it works! The resultant .mobi file is a hell of a lot better than the Smashwords one.
I just imported the ePub into calibre... then the mobi, then did a mobi to mobi conversion
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #21
A_J_Lath
Zealot

Just letting ye good people know that Dreamshade is now available as a proper Kindle download at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dreamshade-ebo...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1 It's a standalone version, not connected with the Smashwords one, owing to the fact that the Smashwords .mobi format is somewhat glitchy - so this version should look very nice indeed! Unfortunately, I've not been able to extend my free coupon code offer at Amazon; however, I've set it to the lowest price possible - 99 cents (though it might cost a little more outside the US) - and this offer will run until July 31st 2010.

Of course, if you've got a Kindle, and would like to get your hands on a nicely-formatted FREE version of the book, then you can always try this: download the Epub version at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916 and enter coupon code BS86Q at checkout to get it at no cost. Once you've downloaded the Epub version, use Calibre (available free at http://calibre-ebook.com/ if you don't already have it) to convert it to a .mobi format, ready for your Kindle. I've tried this myself, and it appears to work very nicely indeed.

One last note - yeah, I'm aware of the typo on the Amazon Dreamshade page - it slipped by my double-check, annoyingly enough, but I've already rectified it, and it should be gone in a few days' time. I have a new computer, you see, and I haven't got the hang of this booldy keybard yet!

Anyway, enjoy the book!

(note: CC'd via kindleboards)
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
A_J_Lath
Zealot

Happy to report that Dreamshade is in the top spot on the Smashwords bestseller list! https://www.smashwords.com/books/cat...ular/0/any/any

Thanks all!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #23
A_J_Lath
Zealot

Just reminding ye good people that the free offer on Dreamshade expires in just under a week! Remember, use coupon code BS86Q at the checkout to get it at no cost! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
A_J_Lath
Zealot

Just letting you know that the free offer on Dreamshade expires tomorrow! Remember - use coupon code BS86Q at the checkout, and get the ebook for nuffin - but ya gotta hurry! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916