Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
ksyll
ksyll began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to make a book in kfx format have the same number of pages as one in azw3?

When I convert a book from epub to kfx format, check “create approximate page numbers” under “kfx output”, and then send to my kindle, the book will have less pages then if I converted from epub to azw3. How can I make the kfx book have the same amount of pages as the azw3? The reason I want to do that is that I’m more used to gauging how lengthy a book is based on how many pages it has in azw3 format.

How can I do this? How does converting to azw3 format even calculate page numbers and how can I make it calculate in the same way for kfx?

Any help very much appreciated
ksyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Foozle
Connoisseur
Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
There's no specific way to force exact page counts/numbering, unless it's a fixed layout. Generally, eBooks are reflowable formats, meaning they can change depending on settings and conversion factors. The only thing I can suggest is maybe change your Kindle font size to try and get as close to the page count as possible, as changing font size will change the page flow.
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Page numbers are embedded into the file when you convert a book to KFX format. This differs from AZW3 which use a separate APNX file created when the book is sent to a Kindle device. The software that supports each format uses different algorithms for automatic page number generation that produce different page counts.

In order to have the page counts match you need to use the same source for both. You need to create a custom column to hold the total page count for each book and populate it using the Count Pages plugin. Then you can configure the KFX Output plugin and the Kindle device driver to use that column as the source of the page count. The exact numbering of where each page starts will still not match exactly but it will be much closer.

In the KFX Output plugin configuration the custom column name goes in "Lookup name of custom column with desired number of pages". In the Kindle device configuration the "Custom column name to retrieve page counts from" field is used.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But remember, just because they have the same ending page number does not mean that the page numbers will be at the same place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, calibre, kfx, page numbers