Notices

Old 07-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sending EPUB to Kindle Changes Text Direction

Hi,

I have an EPUB in Arabic. It is right to left. It shows fine on Apple Books. However, when sent to kindle paper white, paragraphs directions changes.

Kindle: Headers stays rtl but paragraphs are ltr.
iPhone Kindle app: alignment is rtl but the words are ltr. i.e. I must read from left to right to make sense of the sentences even though lines are aligned to the right.

I know the underlying technique for sending ePub to kindle is converting to AZW3. Is this a problem with AZW3?

I do not have any CSS files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 11.23.39 AM.png
Views:	109
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	195205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	195206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 11.10.35 AM.png
Views:	112
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	195207  

Last edited by morty92222; 07-21-2022 at 01:00 PM.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try converting the ePub to KF8 using Calibre and see what happens.

Also, you can copy the KF8 eBook from your Kindle and have a look at it with Calibre's editor to see what's going on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try converting the ePub to KF8 using Calibre and see what happens.

Also, you can copy the KF8 eBook from your Kindle and have a look at it with Calibre's editor to see what's going on.
I tried converting to KFX and manually put it on Kindle. It works just fine. So I think it has something to do with AZW3.

Any idea how to fix that?
Old 07-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
I tried converting to KFX and manually put it on Kindle. It works just fine. So I think it has something to do with AZW3.

Any idea how to fix that?
To fix the KF8, I think editing the code and adding the text direction should do it. But that does not help the fact that it would only be fixed on one Kindle.

Do you have more then one Kindle that you want to be able to sync? You list only one Kindle and if that's correct, I would forget email.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To fix the KF8, I think editing the code and adding the text direction should do it. But that does not help the fact that it would only be fixed on one Kindle.

Do you have more then one Kindle that you want to be able to sync? You list only one Kindle and if that's correct, I would forget email.
What do you mean by adding text direction? It's already added in the <body> tag. Is there another place to add it?
Old 07-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
What do you mean by adding text direction? It's already added in the <body> tag. Is there another place to add it?
I don't know if that's correct for KF8 and it depends what Amazon's conversion did to the code. The only way to know what may be going on is to look at the code for the converted KF8.

Tags
azw3, epub, kindle, paperwhite