Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 AM   #1
Besi von Besmer
Besi von Besmer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Installation Stucks: newer GLIBCSS not recognized?

Hi. As i didn't found an answer (or didn't see any relation in an answer to my problem nor did the solution help), i try my own post. I appologize if this is the wrong section or to specific to a system-setup rather than the calibre-project itself, please let me know.

Goal: Installing Calibre (Server) on a minimalistic VPS CentOS7 machine

Problem: Following the instructions under https://gist.github.com/plembo/337f3...3100692ae8c892, i get an error while downloading / installing:

Code:
ImportError: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /opt/calibre/lib/libicui18n.so.67)
The confusing part: a newer version of this library seems installed.
Code:
[root@srv01 ~]# strings /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 | grep LIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_3.4.11
GLIBCXX_3.4.12
GLIBCXX_3.4.13
GLIBCXX_3.4.14
GLIBCXX_3.4.15
GLIBCXX_3.4.16
GLIBCXX_3.4.17
GLIBCXX_3.4.18
GLIBCXX_3.4.19
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH
[root@srv01 ~]# sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
2022-01-13 09:49:06 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [31922/31922] -> "-" [1]
Using python executable: /bin/python2
Installing to /opt/calibre
Downloading tarball signature securely...
Using previously downloaded calibre-5.34.0-x86_64.txz
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
  File "runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
  File "site.py", line 45, in <module>
  File "site.py", line 39, in main
  File "bypy-importer.py", line 279, in exec_module
  File "calibre/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
  File "calibre/startup.py", line 124, in initialize_calibre
  File "bypy-importer.py", line 279, in exec_module
  File "calibre/utils/icu.py", line 13, in <module>
ImportError: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /opt/calibre/lib/libicui18n.so.67)
I already "tried" to add the path, where the symlink "libstdc++.so.6" is located, to the "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" environment variable...(as described here).

this looks like:
Code:
[root@srv01 ~]# env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64
I also tried with an ending "/". Same same

Shouldn't this be compatible to newer versions?
To mention, i'm a simple Linux user. There aren't to many skills in this domain.

Looking forward to any hints
Besi von Besmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
centos 7 is waaaaaaaaaaaay too old. Even centos 8 has reached end of life. Update your VPS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 04:21 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and if you want to check for the version, do this:

readelf -s /lib64/libstdc++.so.6 | grep CXXABI_1.3.8
Old 01-13-2022, 04:24 AM   #4
Besi von Besmer

Maybe you are right (unfortunately)

Thank you for your quick reply

This is the smallest VPS found with only 256MB RAM and a few GB disc space. A sandbox. And as i am a really beginner, i try not to touch to much.

So what i've found:
calibre needs GLIBC >= 2.18 and libstdc++ >= 6.0.21

I guess this might a problem (related to your post):
Code:
[root@srv01 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 15  2021 /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.19
so we're back at "updating the system" i guess

Last edited by Besi von Besmer; 01-13-2022 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:36 AM   #5
Besi von Besmer

Quote:
readelf -s /lib64/libstdc++.so.6 | grep CXXABI_1.3.8
So shouldn't the part CXXABI_xxx be backward compatible?
I'm only talking about the GLIBCXX_3.4.19 listed, which seems newer than CXXABI_1.3.8 which is mentionned in the error-message.
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 05:33 AM   #6
Besi von Besmer

3.48 also with server? compatible?

@kovidgoyal. Does 3.48 also offer the calibre content server? will i be able to use newer versions installed on desktop PCs to connect to the "older" server?
Old 01-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

desktop calibre doesnt connect to servers. And yes 3.48 has a server though its *much* less functional.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:09 AM   #8
Besi von Besmer

Connection Calibre to Server: Ah, you're right. This was a misunderstanding of mine. Thank you

Tags
installation-error, server