Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #736
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
nowadays all my devices are in dark mode. ... OS theme
Sorry but - invert colours at keystroke? You do not?

Ok, more verbosely for those confused: you should have a keystroke command on your system that inverts the colours on the screen, so that what is black becomes white, the blue Quick Reply bar is see below now is light brown, etc. When you see it appropriate, you just switch between normal and inverted. ...You can customize your desktop, and of course you should, but you cannot customize all third party material. But you can at least have two modes key shortcut selectable, and theoretically even more.

Last edited by mdp; 05-22-2021 at 05:46 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 AM   #737
franzli
Addict
franzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipediafranzli knows more than wikipedia

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This comes in handy as I recently wanted to post anyway for the following: what a great product the Onyx Max 2 is as a tablet. I have restarted using it in the past few weeks and I found the experience, refreshing. I use it with my own software to read articles, and the real estate is very precious.

As a monitor, I only used it in a trial phase as the optimal use would be with USB integration - be it VNC be it extended HDMI (touchscreen etc.) -, and it is absurd to drain the laptop battery, which seems unavoidable with USB. (Wi-Fi is equally absurd.)

So, as outdoors display, I am using more typical technologies with screens (cloth etc.) to block light sources. Of course this remain suboptimal in normal conditions (i.e. out of the car).

--

Note that I very recently came to know of a few advances in EPD. I do not know, owing to absence, if they were noted here. There seem to be displays around that can perform 15 fps on extra modes between A2 and Greyscale Update, and that come already equipped with an HDMI connection - because some may come as peripherals to the Raspberry PI and similar. The lag should also be improved.
Nice to see you back over here, your posts were always very informative!
Especially your posts in this thread a few years ago are gold for anyone wanting to use e-Ink (or other Android) devices as monitors via vnc and similar! Thanks a lot!
I have played around with that option (Linux laptop running a vnc server and connecting the Android device as display with bvnc) on my Note (and recently Note 2) and found it to be quite usable in principle (when used for simple things, keeping in mind the restrictions of e-ink). What kept me from using it more frequently is that I haven't had the need for something like that often enough where it wasn't simpler to just connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the e-ink device directly and typing on there, since I mostly just need this for the very occasional chance to write some lines in LaTeX on the balcony when it's warm enough. Most of the time, especially being home a lot, it's just easier to simply use my two external screens on my regular desk.

@mdp your main drawback for using vnc via USB on these devices was that there's no (simple?) way to disable charging of the device when you just want to use the data, right?
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote