Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Tammuz91
Tammuz91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Help me decide: kobo or pocketbook?

Hi!

I come from a Kobo touch that I bought back in 2012, which still works. I've used it quite a lot at the beginning, but then stopped because I found the speed frustrating and the screen subpar. I am specifically referring to the text clarity, which is quite bad for today's standard. And because I also like to read during the evening, I have finally decided to buy a new ebook reader with integrated light.

I've narrowed down my preference to the kobo clara and the pocketbook inkpad 3. I know that there's a huge price difference, as the clara is around 129 euros here in Italy, while I can get the pocketbook for around 225/250, depending on the sales.

The reason why I am considering the pocketbook is that I would love a larger screen. My phone and my old kobo have a 6 inches screen and they are too small to read on. But on the other hand, I am usure about it because I don't know whether pocketbook will be a reliable choice as for future updates and firmware support...and I can't find many reviews in English. My kobo touch is still getting updated from 2012, and while this usually doesn't matter so much, I would like to buy a product that won't be abandoned tomorrow.

What are your experience with software updates with pocketbook? Would you recommend it over a kobo, as for speed, updates and reliability?

I mostly read fiction, epubs files. And I love the warm light these readers offer, so that's why I excluded kindles.

Thank you in advance!
Tammuz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If the only thing you don't like about the Kobo Clara is the screen size, is there a reason you're not considering the Kobo H2O Edition 2?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't comment on the Pocketbook as I have never seen one. But, as you are considering the larger screen, and like the Kobo, have you looked at the Aura H2O Edition 2 or Forma? They have 6.8" and 8" screens respectively. The screens on both are very good and use the same firmware you have on the Kobo Touch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Tammuz91

Thank you both for your replies!

The only reason I had excluded the Kobo aura H2O ed. 2 is because I read that the screen was not as good as the Kobo Clara HD (300 ppi vs 265 ppi). Surely it would still be an upgrade from the touch, however would 300 make a difference when compared to the 265 offered by the H2O? I am not totally sure about this, would I notice any difference in everyday use?

Moreover, I read some complaints about the speed and overall reading experience with the H2O...Is there any difference in page turning, library navigation and so on between these two kobo models?

Last edited by Tammuz91; 06-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I think you will be happy with the H2O. I imagine the screen definition will be very nice. There isn't much difference at that level. But does the H2O have the orange front-light? I know the Clara does. Its quite nice to have.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can personally see not the slightest difference in quality between a screen with 265ppi and one with 300. I've used both.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz91 View Post
Thank you both for your replies!

The only reason I had excluded the Kobo aura H2O ed. 2 is because I read that the screen was not as good as the Kobo Clara HD (300 ppi vs 265 ppi). Surely it would still be an upgrade from the touch, however would 300 make a difference when compared to the 265 offered by the H2O? I am not totally sure about this, would I notice any difference in everyday use?
I can tell the difference, but, only in a direct comparison.
Quote:
Moreover, I read some complaints about the speed and overall reading experience with the H2O...Is there any difference in page turning, library navigation and so on between these two kobo models?
Kobo uses exactly the same software on all their current devices. The only differences are hardware related drivers and the like.

As to performance, the CPU and memory in the Clara HD and the Aura H2O Edition 2 version 2 is the same. There was an earlier version that had an older CPU, but they shouldn't be available new, and the difference was pretty small.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I think you will be happy with the H2O. I imagine the screen definition will be very nice. There isn't much difference at that level. But does the H2O have the orange front-light?
Yes.

I can't particularly tell the difference between 300 and 265 either. Both are a huge step up from the original Touch.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Tammuz91

Thank you people! You've helped me decide. I'll look into getting the H2O
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
A decisive difference for me comparing the new H2O and Pocketbook Inkpad 3 is that the latter has an expansion storage slot.

I personally liked Inkpad 2 in terms of shape and size, features and operability. Its screen was the only downside. With Inkpad 3, the screen is the only upside.

Compared to new H20, Inkpad 3 is preferable due to bigger screen and the expansion slot. Compared to old H20 which has the expansion slot, the race would be rather even. Except that it is simpler to install additional software (Coolreader, Koreader) on the Inkpad 3 and the Inkpad 3 screen is multi-touch which allows some more convenient gestures.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote