Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
einkuser
Enthusiast
einkuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation, Onyx Boox Nova
Calibre annotations and highlight extract plugin for the Nook Simple Touch?

Would anyone know if there is a Calibre annotations and highlights extract plugin for the Nook Simple Touch?

Thanks!
einkuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is an Annotations plugin; sadly, it does not support the Nook.

If you know of a way to access annotations via USB storage, you can ask the developer to extend the plugin to support Nook too.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
I could be wrong, but iirc that isn't something you can access via USB storage without jailbreaking your Nook. You might ask on the Nook specific forum - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209. I haven't bothered to jailbreak a Nook since the original one so I don't know for sure about the newer ones.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There is an Annotations plugin; sadly, it does not support the Nook.

If you know of a way to access annotations via USB storage, you can ask the developer to extend the plugin to support Nook too.
Yes, if the annotations are accessible while connected to the PC, I'd be happy to look at it. Or help someone write the code for the Nook. But, if the annotations aren't accessible, nothing can be done.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
einkuser
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I believe the highlights and annotations can be accessed but the device needs rooting:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240325

I don't know if it is feasible for a Calibre plugin to work, if the issue is direct access via USB connection.

Either way, Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is there no way to reveal that partition over USB when rooted? Perhaps the plugin could support only rooted Nooks.

So, Nook has no equivalent to Kindle's "My Clippings.txt" -- pity.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugin assumes direct connection over USB. On Windows that means it is mounted as a driver letter. For Linux and Mac it will be mounted somewhere. With that, and a copy of the database, I can probably do it. Or help someone who wants to try it themselves.

If the device is connected some other way, then it might not be practical. Especially without a device in my hands.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
einkuser
Enthusiast

Yes, may be it could work with a rooted Nook but hopefully there would be no need to get Android to run on the device (that is why many root the device) to then use an Android app to access the database folder.

I really don't know, nor am I technically proficient to find out a way to get access to the database files, which are stored in a SQLite database, that doesn't show up when connecting the device via USB. The pathway is as follows:

/data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/annotations.db

If there is a way for the plugin to work, it would be very useful for Nook users (this includes Nook Glowlight too) to be able to extract their annotations and highlights for any epub to then manipulate them in , e.g., Libreoffice.

Thanks again to all contributors
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
edglazer
edglazer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just want to add that I've been wishing/hoping for this for a while! Rooted NST would be even better with the annotations plugin.
edglazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

As stated above, if the wherever the annotations are stored on the device can be seen over the USB connection, it can probably be done. As I don't have one of these devices, if someone who does want to write the adapter, I will be happy to help. If there isn't anyone, I can try, but I need a copy of the database and any other files that might be involved. Plus some one to do the testing.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
edglazer
edglazer began at the beginning.

I found this gist that might be useful?

Script to export Nook Reader's annotations
edglazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglazer View Post
I found this gist that might be useful?

Script to export Nook Reader's annotations
That tells me that it should be possible. But, there isn't enough detail in that script. It doesn't show all the columns in the annotations table and it doesn't link this back to the books. Without the latter the annotations can't be linked to the books in the calibre library.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
aznyellojersey
aznyellojersey began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Happy to provide a sample annotations and bookmark db. New to the forum, is there a way to PM?
aznyellojersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznyellojersey View Post
Happy to provide a sample annotations and bookmark db. New to the forum, is there a way to PM?
Click davidfor (above Grand Sorcerer), and select Send private message to davidfor

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Yes send me a PM. Either upload the file somewhere and include the link, or I can give you an email address to send the file to.