Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Easy and safe SSH access to your iLiad

An easy method for semi-n00bs like me, to gain SSH access to your iLiad, and some handy scripts for starting the network and scanning for wireless lans without starting the terminal window.

This assumes you have the 2.7.1 and the .sh extension. If not, you probably know how to do this anyway.

Network usage:

- Unzip network.zip to a suitable place. Edit startwlan.sh and change the long number to the HEX value of your wep key. (google wep hex calculator if you only know your ascii key). Copy the entire directory to your iLiad using USB (or any other method), place it in e.g. newspapers. Browse to that directory (e.g click on "news"). There should be a directory called "network". Enter that and click startwlan.sh. Use "scanwlan.sh" and then view the WirelessLANs.txt to see available networks. After you've started wlan, you can browse the web by clicking on "World Wide Web.html" and following links. (There probably is a better way to do this?)

Dropbear usage:

(For more info about this, search the forums for dropbear)

- First, use an ssh client to create a public key and a private key (or use an existing). If you don't know what this means, stop here . I use putty for windows; anyone will do I think.

- Unzip the dropbear to a suitable place. Edit id_rsa.pub and paste in the content of you rsa signature (not your public/private key, only the signature). The file should look somewhat similar to mine.

- Copy the directory to a suitable place on your iLiad, e.g. newspapers. Navigate to that place. There should be an icon "Dropbear". Clicking on that will take a looong time the first time. After that, your ssh server should be running and you can try to connect to it.

- Of course, you have to be online to get ssh access. Use the above network trick to start wlan.

Enjoy. Post here if there are any problems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip network.zip (1.1 KB, 890 views)
File Type: zip dropbear.zip (231.4 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by narve; 11-28-2006 at 06:15 PM.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Wow! Great work narve!

I am particulary excited about the possibility of navigating the web!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
some handy scripts for starting the network and scanning for wireless lans without starting the terminal window.
Excellent idea.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Wow! Great work narve!

I am particulary excited about the possibility of navigating the web!
I think there are better ways to do this, see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&page=3&pp=15

There he launches minimo directly, which I assume will give you an location bar etc. I haven't tried that yet.

I've put links to my most popular sites in a html-file on the iLiad, so I don't need to enter adresses using the iLiad keyboard, it is too slow for that. Will experiment with the above application and see if I find a better way to browse the web.

Now I gotta get an email application working, so I can send my self files instead of using USB
Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
There is a version for us that haven't a wireless connection?, now i'm in the work and can't test if i can change the network.sh to up the lan connection (sorry for my english), but if there isn't a version for us i will see this afternoon to fix this ;-)
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
There he launches minimo directly, which I assume will give you an location bar etc. I haven't tried that yet.
In a perfect world, yes, it would. However, iRex Minimo does not work like this.
I even can't figure out how to talk it into opening a URL on the commandline.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Hi Narve,
browsing to those web links isn't working here. I just get a lot LED blinking going on.
Any idea what could be wrong?
After scanning my wireless network is written to the text file. (Had to adjust the file path in scanwlan.sh to "network" though!)
I have 128 bit WEP encryption. Works fine with IDS.

Last edited by emkay; 11-29-2006 at 08:07 AM.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
There is a version for us that haven't a wireless connection?, now i'm in the work and can't test if i can change the network.sh to up the lan connection (sorry for my english), but if there isn't a version for us i will see this afternoon to fix this ;-)
Yes, just use:

/usr/bin/wired.sh start dhcp

instead of wireless.sh ... in startwlan.sh. Or better, create a startlan.sh containing the above line.

If you don't have dhcp, I don't know how to do it. Try writing

wired.sh

and see if you get any help. (This is assuming you have ssh access, or use the mrxvt terminal app)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
Hi Narve,
browsing to those web links isn't working here. I just get a lot LED blinking going on.
Any idea what could be wrong?
After scanning my wireless network is written to the text file. (Had to adjust the file path in scanwlan.sh to "network" though!)
I have 128 bit WEP encryption. Works fine with IDS.
Try gaining ssh access, or using the mrxvt to get a terminal window. Type /mnt/free/newspapers/networking/startwlan.sh and see what happens -- do you get an error message? Note that slashdot.org doesn't work (if I remember correctly), try the google link first (as it is simpler and smaller).

Also, remember to replace 'n-net' with the name (SSID) of your wireless network. Sorry, forgot to explain that
Old 11-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
In a perfect world, yes, it would. However, iRex Minimo does not work like this.
I even can't figure out how to talk it into opening a URL on the commandline.
But I've seen a screenshot with a browser somewhere in this forum? I will see if I find out where. Also see the end of this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8569

But I haven't tried that, will do if I get enough time someday.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

hey guys the wired.sh start dhcp is working i can launch Minimo, with the terminal, but the only that is limiting me to navigate throught internet, is that the terminal have the keyboard, not Minimo it's like only have a mouse...

can anybody port a Minimo with the keyboard or know how launch Minimo with the posibility of using the keyboard

With the keyboard i'm refering the writeboard
Old 11-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
hey guys the wired.sh start dhcp is working i can launch Minimo, with the terminal, but the only that is limiting me to navigate throught internet, is that the terminal have the keyboard, not Minimo it's like only have a mouse...

can anybody port a Minimo with the keyboard or know how launch Minimo with the posibility of using the keyboard

With the keyboard i'm refering the writeboard
The keyboard is working -- just press the keyboard icon (lower right corner). At least I think I've tried it. Follow the google link to have a place to enter letters
Old 11-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
But I've seen a screenshot with a browser somewhere in this forum?
Of course this works. You can start Minimo or minimo and then follow links from the mozilla homepage. What I mean is I can't do a "Minimo --openURL http://www.google.de/" or somethin similar. And Minimo does not trigger updates so you have to trigger them by hand or have a regular update every other second. This works. Somehow.
Interestingly starting Minimo from contentLister with a local html and following external links does NOT work for me. It looks for a local file instead.

Last edited by k2r; 11-29-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

OK Narve, got it running now.
Your html was slightly borked
Did you somehow get those links to work?!

Browsing Wikipedia now
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
kapoira
Connoisseur

you start the minimo with a .sh i supose i will try this tomorrow night,...