Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
AtlanVIII
AtlanVIII began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch (stanza)
Problem with epub display on stanza

Hi,

first i want to say thanks for this wonderful software. Stanza desktop is getting my books on my ipod but well there is no possibility to really manage your ebooks and all. Thanks to Calibre thats history (not to mention the whole metadata fetching and all oh i love it )

Ok now my little Problem.
I have some ebooks as .rtf files and converted them to epub.
No problem so far. At least thats what i thought. I can preview it on my PC without problem but when i download it to my Stanza on my iPod touch and try to read it i only see the first page of each chapter. I can switch to the next pages and it seems like it works (page turn animation and all) but i see no text.
If i convert the rtf to txt and then the txt to Epub it works fine on stanza.
Sure that a workaround but well the direct way would be nicer.

btw. it would be nice to be able to chose the input type if i try to convert all at once as i can choose it when i convert one at a time

Thx for your time and sorry for my bad english
AtlanVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are starting with rtf, then the best solution tends to be to load it into Word and then save it as html (web page filtered). Then run the Calibre convert to the desired format. Doing a direct conversion in calibre from RTF does not normally produce as good a result.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is caused bya bug in stanza. You can turn of styles in stanza to workaround it, but then you will lose all style information.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
AtlanVIII
AtlanVIII began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch (stanza)
kovidgoyal thx for the tip that did it
AtlanVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
peterloron
peterloron began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Stanza
For those like me, stuck in this boat, I have whipped up a little AppleScript applet that lets you drag and drop one or more RTF files (or any text, actually) and it will be saved as HTML in the same directory.

Code:
on open filelist
	repeat with i in filelist
		do shell script "textutil -convert html -extension html '" & POSIX path of i & "'"
	end repeat
end open

Last edited by peterloron; 01-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.
peterloron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert