Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #106
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
I would go back to Tirwal 2.7 to avoid problems
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #107
jane10021
jane10021 began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin V3, pocketbook 360
Well, I did. I tried first 2.7, and everything seemed to go well untill I was 30 pages into the book, then the buttons of my reader freezed. Only switching it off worked, but I could read no book. So I tried 2.8 and that had the same result. All buttons freeze, I cannot use it, turn pages anymore.
Is this problem normal?
I tried mobi and prc format books.

I went back to the Hanlin (jinke) firmware, but that crashes all the time.
jane10021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #108
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I use Hanlin firmware and have found it to be really reliable. Are you reading garbage books that are full of catastrophic errors?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #109
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I use Hanlin firmware and have found it to be really reliable. Are you reading garbage books that are full of catastrophic errors?
Jane00..

I think I'm with DaleDe in this. May I have a look at your book?
It is an ePUB file? Or what?
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #110
jane10021

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARdT View Post
Jane00..

I think I'm with DaleDe in this. May I have a look at your book?
It is an ePUB file? Or what?
Mosty Gutenberg.org books, some converted Word docs and converted pdf's, also Kindle-files (mobi).
Or from http://www.webscription.net/
Mostly I use mobipocketcreator to convert the books if they aren't in prc/mobi. I like the mobipocketformat (prc).
I added a book which freezed the Tirwal-firmware in two versions.
I don't think these are garbagebooks. I appreciate your help very much because I have tried a lot but nothing really works well.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: mobi Gaiman, Neil - Good Omens.mobi
File Type: prc Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimanl - Good Omens.prc
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #111
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Try converting to epub or fb2. The V3 likes them better and you have more customization options.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #112
jane10021

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Try converting to epub or fb2. The V3 likes them better and you have more customization options.
I tried epub but I don't like it. I can't change the lettertype (or I don't know how and if I can change it), and I don't see more customization options only less.
I feel very comfortable with mobi/prc.
B.t.w. I cannot put an sdcard in the reader because then it craches twice as much.
Any other options except epub (or, what's the charm of epub???)
Is there something wrong with the files I sent?
Thanks!!
jane
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #113
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane10021 View Post
I tried epub but I don't like it. I can't change the lettertype (or I don't know how and if I can change it), and I don't see more customization options only less.
That sounds like you have it setup to use ADE as your EPUB reader on the V3. If you set it up to use CoolReader for EPUB you should see many more choices. CoolReader is excellent for FB2 and fairly good for EPUB, but ADE is the pits IMHO. I think that I recall the Tirwal firmware being configurable as to which reader program reads EPUB, but one way to force the the use of CoolReader is to rename the file to filename.epub.fb2.

Quote:
feel very comfortable with mobi/prc.
B.t.w. I cannot put an sdcard in the reader because then it craches twice as much.
Any other options except epub (or, what's the charm of epub???)
jane
It is very difficult to debug a MOBI/PRC problem since the file is not editable in any way that I know of. The Hanlin MOBI reader software seems to abort very easily if there is a character or formatting code in the MOBI file that it does not understand. I much prefer FB2 as a reading format, because it can be edited or corrected with any plain text editor. CoolReader is usually the default reader for FB2 files, and it is a VERY configurable reader program. It is also easy to convert FB2 to EPUB using the FB2EPUB program.

Quote:
Is there something wrong with the files I sent?
Thanks!!
jane
They seem to work in the Windows PC MOBIPOCKET reader, but if they are crashing your Hanlin device there is probably something in the files that the Hanlin reader can not understand.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #114
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I meant using coolreder. I am using Tirwal 2.7 and the first tine I opened the options of a .fb2 file I got lost
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #115
jane10021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That sounds like you have it setup to use ADE as your EPUB reader on the V3. If you set it up to use CoolReader for EPUB you should see many more choices. CoolReader is excellent for FB2 and fairly good for EPUB, but ADE is the pits IMHO. I think that I recall the Tirwal firmware being configurable as to which reader program reads EPUB, but one way to force the the use of CoolReader is to rename the file to filename.epub.fb2.
You've lost me here. I've got no idea what this CoolReader is and how I can get it. I use the Hanlin firmware at the moment. Is CoolReader firmware/a format/???
What do I do to get CoolReader and how do I install it and, and ......????

Quote:
It is very difficult to debug a MOBI/PRC problem since the file is not editable in any way that I know of. The Hanlin MOBI reader software seems to abort very easily if there is a character or formatting code in the MOBI file that it does not understand. I much prefer FB2 as a reading format, because it can be edited or corrected with any plain text editor. CoolReader is usually the default reader for FB2 files, and it is a VERY configurable reader program. It is also easy to convert FB2 to EPUB using the FB2EPUB program.
They seem to work in the Windows PC MOBIPOCKET reader, but if they are crashing your Hanlin device there is probably something in the files that the Hanlin reader can not understand.
No, I don't think that's true in this case. The Hanlin crashes on pages I can read when I reset it, It crashes when the battery is 1 block down, it crashes when I use an sd-card etc. When the file crashes because of strange formatting codes, you can see it in the mobireader on the pc as an little block. At least, that's my experience.
But that's not important if there are better files, formats and firmware to use.

I would very much like to try your suggestions, if only I understood them.....
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #116
LCF
Wizard

coolreader is part of some firmwares, but not the hanlin one. It's the subprogram responsible for reading .fb2, Epub oand some other formats.
You can find it in the Tirwal 2.7 (or later). Take a look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72161
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #117
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
coolreader is part of some firmwares, but not the hanlin one. It's the subprogram responsible for reading .fb2, Epub oand some other formats.
You can find it in the Tirwal 2.7 (or later). Take a look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72161
Hanlin firmware does use CoolReader for .fb2.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #118
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Just out of curiosity, does the Tirwal firmware speed the page turn? And, does it affect page turn/battery charge time?
Thanks
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #119
jane10021

Well, I tried some things and I found that the latest Hanlin firmware is very good, it hasn't crashed for two books in a row, that's a first since I bought it.
Maybe because of that, the battery lasts a lot longer. But also, it gives a reminder that it is low instead of just stopping as before.
But I would like to try the Tirwall firmware but I still don't understand the following bit:

Quote:
1st: Boot as optimized LBook, like Tirwal 2.1.
2nd: Boot as optimized Hanlin, with iconized bookshelf, and the ability to use xPDF.
3th: Boot as Hanlin v1 with FBReader to read CHM, FB2, RTF, TXT and HTML files.

To choose boot mode, put the "config" directory included in any root directory. Press the option, and switch off and on the reader.
Press what option, when and where???

And does anyone know what the difference is between unwrapping the file and putting it on the sd instead of unwrapping it to the sd?
I gathered that there was a difference?

Thanks!