Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
MobiPocket English Wikipedia

What would it take to convert all of the english Wikipedia to MobiPocket format?

I know you can download XML versions of all the Wikipedia pages from here:
http://download.wikimedia.org/

It looks like it would be about 100GBs of data (uncompressed).

Put this on your iRex iLiad or PocketPC and you have your own Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

The only problems I see are:

1. How well does MobiPocket compress? There are no 100GB memory cards yet!

2. Is the searching of a 1.5 million page document feasible for a mobile device?
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, it's feasible. For instance, there is a reader called TomeRaider for which you can get pre-compiled Wikipedia files. The full English edition 12/2004 was about 500MB compressed.

Check out this thread for more:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3129

I think MobiPocket has a fairly decent compression ratio as well. You might want to use one of their desktop applications to convert html to Mobipocket.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Rainer
Rainer began at the beginning.

Device: ngage qd (s60 vers. 1)
s60 offline wikipedia

hi
there is a german version wikipedia without images that is less than 70 mb i think; it is converted in mobipocket format. i tried it and it functions! but, alas, it is only in german!
i dont know the method they used to convert in mobipocket format, but it can be done with english too.

please someone try !!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The TomeRaider version of the wiki took an absolute age to do because of the various different article structures. Its no easy task, and it gave Eric, they guy who did it as a labour of love very sore hands

FYI: Im not being biased but I dont think Mobipocket can hadle a file of that size, but Id be interested to see. I know we designed TR3 format to be able to handle multi gig files from the off.

Mat
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
Rainer

i would like to have tomeraider on my s60...

hello
probably tomeraider is the BEST one out there (i have seen mobipocket and isilo on the s60) BUT there is NO s60 version of Tomeraider!!

Advert
Old 07-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Rainer

MatYadabyte are they going to make a s60 version of tomeraider?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Im sorry, we dont have plans to do an S60 version. Largley because Nokia are very unhelpful. But plans change

Mat
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Rainer

"Im sorry, we dont have plans to do an S60 version. Largley because Nokia are very unhelpful. But plans change"

But you have a symbian uiq version already made...
isn't it easiest to convert it to symbian s60?
thx
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well as long as you make Tomeraider for the iRex Iliad...^^

I used the program on my P800 and it was really great. One of the VERY few porgrams I bought and didn't regret.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatYadabyte
The TomeRaider version of the wiki took an absolute age to do because of the various different article structures. Its no easy task, and it gave Eric, they guy who did it as a labour of love very sore hands

FYI: Im not being biased but I dont think Mobipocket can hadle a file of that size, but Id be interested to see. I know we designed TR3 format to be able to handle multi gig files from the off.

Mat
I don't know how they would do with Wikipedia, but I know there was (is?) a TomeRaider version of imdb (internet movie database). Worked reasonably well. I seem to recall that the number of items you could search on was the limitation.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 AM   #11
MatYadabyte
Zealot

We actually have the FULL file of the IMDB but its an absolute whopper. And we are looking to get movie posters in it.

Currently the live version is Englih movies since 1888 and a smaller one since 2002.

Mat Ripley
Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
Rainer

hi in what format is imdb? (mobipocket, tomerider or isilo?)
and how many mb is that?...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer
Tomeraider only as far as I can tell. Size varies depending on what you select. Go to www.memoware.com and search on imdb.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:12 AM   #14
MatYadabyte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer
Yes its in TomeRaider format. It has full database aspects to, eg you can filter on all movies made between 1960 and 1990 that Are not comedies and ........
etc

Its my favorite TR3 file

Mat