Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
doug38
doug38 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook or Aluratek Libre
I received my jetBook Sept.8, installed and read a comfortably formatted text for 20 minutes, and developed a headache, followed the next day by sore eyes. The reason: glare. In sitting with good the kind of good light I used for pbook reading, I found that I kept making minute adjustments of the angle of the reader so as to try to avoid reflective glare from my reading lights. I had made my purchase on the basis of Dr. Drib's review, but if other people can read on the jetBook without suffering from the glare from its screen display, then that's good news for them; for me, the glare is a deal-breaker, and I'm thinking of returning this to BedBB and opting for a reader with e-ink. If there are any others of you who can avoid the eyestrain and headaches, please let me know how you do it.
One other thing for the ECTACO design people: even the 'Page up/page down' side-scroller on the reader's left edge has a glossy finish to it, and the reflected light from it is distracting.
doug38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
doug38

Kris 777 could look for the comparison chart at

<http://www.jetbook.net/comparison.php>
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug38 View Post
I received my jetBook Sept.8, installed and read a comfortably formatted text for 20 minutes, and developed a headache, followed the next day by sore eyes. The reason: glare. In sitting with good the kind of good light I used for pbook reading, I found that I kept making minute adjustments of the angle of the reader so as to try to avoid reflective glare from my reading lights. I had made my purchase on the basis of Dr. Drib's review, but if other people can read on the jetBook without suffering from the glare from its screen display, then that's good news for them; for me, the glare is a deal-breaker, and I'm thinking of returning this to BedBB and opting for a reader with e-ink. If there are any others of you who can avoid the eyestrain and headaches, please let me know how you do it.
One other thing for the ECTACO design people: even the 'Page up/page down' side-scroller on the reader's left edge has a glossy finish to it, and the reflected light from it is distracting.
If you don't like it then it's probably worth returning. Or ... buy an e-ink device and return whichever one you like less.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
doug38

Well, I like many things about the jetbook, but if I can't avoid the glare and the headaches, I'll definitely return it. However, basically I'd like to read comments from others about how they avoid the problem so I can use it and live with it without those problems. Yesterday I stumbled across a 'thread' that discussed this, but frankly I feel lost in this forum and only returned to this comment because I'd checked the box for email notification. But I'll keep trying to find things in it on my topic. (Even within the so-called "jetBook forum" there seem to be ever-changing categories and threads, so I find it hard to return to one I've just looked at.)
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Well, I like many things about the jetbook, but if I can't avoid the glare and the headaches, I'll definitely return it. However, basically I'd like to read comments from others about how they avoid the problem so I can use it and live with it without those problems. Yesterday I stumbled across a 'thread' that discussed this, but frankly I feel lost in this forum and only returned to this comment because I'd checked the box for email notification. But I'll keep trying to find things in it on my topic. (Even within the so-called "jetBook forum" there seem to be ever-changing categories and threads, so I find it hard to return to one I've just looked at.)
I purchased my jetBook more than one year ago and I don't have any headaches during or after reading. jetBook screen looks fine for me in airplane whith limited light (after 4-5 hours of nonstop reading) and on the beach under sun umbrella. I don't have e-ink screen ereaders but several people on this forum compared Sony 505 and Kindle with jetBook and they agreed than jetBook screen is better.
just example:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I know how confusing it can be, and I usually learn by seeing. I hope this helps.

To mark a thread to be able to find it again... click "thread tools" that is on the first post (in the blue bar)... .
Click image for larger version

Name:	thread tools.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	35746click to enlarge

Then on the drop down menu click "subscribe to this thread".

Name:	drop down.JPG
Views:	902
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	35747click to enlarge

On the new page click "add subscription" button. (you can chose to be emailed or not)

Name:	save.JPG
Views:	943
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	35749click to enlarge

For a quick way to find things you have marked to check... just click on the "Quick Links" in the blue bar just above "welcome, doug38". The drop down menu allows you to choose what to do. You can click on "subscribed threads" and it directs you to your subscription page.

Name:	find thread.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	35748click to enlarge

I hope this was understandable and will be of use to you.

Last edited by dreams; 02-26-2010 at 04:38 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

I feel somewhat guilty for the incident you're having with the glare, due to the fact that you purchased the jetBook based upon my review.

Personally, it's not an issue for me (and I presume not for most owners, as well). One does have to find the right place to sit regarding light, but for me it's not critical. I would say that a similar situation is also true for e-ink Readers.

Nevertheless, it IS a real problem for you and I'm sorry my review was the deciding factor in your purchase.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #23
doug38

Dr. Drib, I spent another 20 minutes reading yesterday and made an effort to adjust my reading light and the angle(s) in how I held the reader. I'm happy to say that I had no eyestrain and no headache, so I'm encouraged. Thanks for sympathizing. I hope to learn more from reading this forum.

Also, many thanks to Dreams for the screenshots that will help me to learn my way around the forum. (Although I've 'registered' with many online forums in various fields, I've never used them much, but I'll try to follow this one more.)

Next I hope to install Calibre and manage and convert the ebooks I add.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
You are very welcome. I hope it does help you to enjoy the forum more.

Have fun with your new Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #25
doug38

Many thanks to 'dreams' for that quickie tutorial on finding one's way in the forum. I've been away a long time. Returned the Jetbook, waited a year, now have the Aluratek Libre. I wonder if there's a good comparison between the two, since I still have a couple weeks more to try it. I've read that the Libre has reflow for pdfs, and that it has e-ink which I thought the Jetbook did not have. Any other differences, if what I read is true?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Doug are you sure the Libre has Eink? I thought the hardware was virtually identical with the Jetbook, only the firmware was quite different.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Many thanks to 'dreams' for that quickie tutorial on finding one's way in the forum. I've been away a long time. Returned the Jetbook, waited a year, now have the Aluratek Libre. I wonder if there's a good comparison between the two, since I still have a couple weeks more to try it. I've read that the Libre has reflow for pdfs, and that it has e-ink which I thought the Jetbook did not have. Any other differences, if what I read is true?
Libre has the same TFT screen that jetBook or jetBook-Lite
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #28
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I'm a new Jetbookie, I've had mine for a week and a half now. Totally smitten by it! I do have a little trouble with my PDFs on it. They made it freeze twice, but I have alot of them, so I'll have to convert them. They do look alot like the Aluratek Libre. So maybe next,I get that one or the Sony Pocket. Always nice to have two!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
doug38

I had mentioned e-ink and pdf re-flow. Sorry, but I don't understand what TFT has to do with either, if it does.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #30
doug38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Doug are you sure the Libre has Eink? I thought the hardware was virtually identical with the Jetbook, only the firmware was quite different.
I got this in a Chat exchange with the Libre tech support a few days ago: "you: I've had an Ectaco jetBook in the past. This is in the same 'case' but is the main difference in the display that the Libre has e-ink, or what?
Pete: The jetBook looks like the LIBRE but that's all. It's software and firmware are very different