Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Best decision you've made for a while?

What's the best decision you have made in your life for a while?

For me it was cutting cable tv a few months ago.

More time to read, better conversations with my wife etc.

One of the reasons we decided to cut it, was that we were getting cynical. We found ourselves watching stupid tv-shows that didn't even have any real entertainment value other than our ridiculing of the show or the contestants (but we still watched it so who were the idiots in the end).
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Cut my cable about 2 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. I agree with you, more time for life less time for purile "entertainment".

I now have no way to recieve a tv signal and enjoy life far more although I thank an appropriate deity for the internet as it does mean I am not a completely uninformed hermit.

Oh and having the guts to ask my current girlfriend out back in November while dealing with how scary her grown up childeren were..............All in a very good choice cause I love her to bits
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Oh and having the guts to ask my current girlfriend out back in November while dealing with how scary her grown up childeren were..............All in a very good choice cause I love her to bits
Ha ha I read it as if you loved her big tits! Sorry bad humour. My mistake and all.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
You mean besides purchasing my ebook reader and joining MobileRead?

Hmm... my most recent decision was to give up drinking pop/soda back in January.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post

Hmm... my most recent decision was to give up drinking pop/soda back in January.
How's that working for you. I drink a fair bit of coca cola myself and would like to give it up, but at the same time I desperately need some sort of caffein in the morning since I am a B-person and don't drink coffee.
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Best decisions:
- Going back to school last year after 3 years working in places where they value your ability to be a machine more than your intellectual capacity.
- Quit the job that makes my life a misery! (saturday's the last day there!!!)

I'd like to add quiting smoking, but it's been only 2 days, and the third attempt this year, so it's really too soon to include here!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
How's that working for you. I drink a fair bit of coca cola myself and would like to give it up, but at the same time I desperately need some sort of caffein in the morning since I am a B-person and don't drink coffee.
Well, I guess I'm not terribly dependent on caffeine, so it hasn't been a problem. I usually always drank Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I just miss the taste! I was off caffeine and aspartame since before I became pregnant. I remained off caffeine and diet drinks for about 3 years after my daughter was born, but then got caught back up in drinking Diet Coke, but still remained off caffeine. I had about a weeks worth of withdrawal headaches after ditching caffeine, but I got through it.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Retiring.

Three and a half years later, I still wake up every morning with a smile on my face.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post

I saw your 'Switch' drink in the natural foods section at work, almost picked up a bottle to give it a try but got distracted and forgot it. Will do it next week sometime, though. Although caffeine is my only vice, so I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Best decisions:
- Going back to school last year after 3 years working in places where they value your ability to be a machine more than your intellectual capacity.
- Quit the job that makes my life a misery! (saturday's the last day there!!!)

I'd like to add quiting smoking, but it's been only 2 days, and the third attempt this year, so it's really too soon to include here!
I hope and pray that when I look back on this year that I consider my own going back to school one of the best decisions I made. Right now I am having serious doubts about it. I worry that I'm wasting my time and my student loan money (that has to be paid back) on a degree that won't end up getting me a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Retiring.

Three and a half years later, I still wake up every morning with a smile on my face.
This made me smile! I hope when I get there I'm able to retire with enough financial stability to wake up smiling every morning. Actually, I'd like to be able to do that NOW....

For myself, the best life-altering decision I ever made was moving to Illinois to be with Chris. It involved lots of sacrifices, and stepping WAY out of my comfort zone but it has turned out to be the best thing I could have done.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I haven't made any big decisions for a while, not after 2006 when we decided to sell our house and buy a new one. And all decisions we made while rebuilding the "new" house. I still wake up with a smile in my bed when I wake up and look outside (for a different reason than RCR, but still )

I was sitting in the backyard yesterday evening, it was a nice out, the sun going down, some wind and I just felt I was on holiday. And every morning when I look outside, I'm so happy we decided to buy the house, even though a lot needs to be done to it still (after almost 3 years).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700

Maybe be I should cut my cable... I do pay 60 dollars a month only bc im so darned spoiled.

Quote:
Hi! My name is Alpha. And I am a Tivo addict. And the saddest part is that i never "only watch tv".
enough rambles... The best decision I have made is to move out of my house.

@ VC We will soon have to edit our posts on this thread and say "quit smoking"

@ RCR: I wanna be like you when I grow up!

@ Rebarnmom: I ditched aspartame a long time ago! giving up coffee?... well to me that's blasphemy!

ps. I found myself having a tough time trying to think on my best decision... We need an alternative thread on the worst decisions... I could go on for days!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Laz116, you seem to be asking two separate questions:

The best decisions I made in my life were to do with career, marriage, family, home ... all the obvious answers.

But the best decision I made for a while? That's another matter.

I guess the best decision I made for a while was to buy a bicycle.

Now, travel is a pleasure, not an obstacle. I can get around town quickly, cheaply and without any hassle. Shopping, entertainment, lunch dates, visiting clients ... everything is now within easy reach. Commuting is no longer a pain, but something to look forward to.

I've discovered places near my home that I would otherwise never have known existed: delightful riverside paths where you can see heron and kingfishers, a disused railway line overgrown with wild flowers, bike paths, canal towpaths, reservoirs and ponds, .....

Best of all, I'm fitter than I have been for many years. I sleep better; I wake up fresher; my digestion is better; and I no longer get a cold four times a year.

Not a bad return for such a modest investment.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Laz116, you seem to be asking two separate questions:

The best decisions I made in my life were to do with career, marriage, family, home ... all the obvious answers.

But the best decision I made for a while? That's another matter.
Semantics semantics...

I meant life as a container, not as a temporal thing. In other words: What's the best thing you've have done for yourself in a while. I agree that it was badly phrased.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
I meant life as a container, not as a temporal thing.
Very well expressed.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I was going to say getting my Sony 505 for $150 but RCR has it right. Retiring 1 1/2 years ago tops that! My wife retires next week and we are moving up toour cabin.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote