Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Paragraphs and indent

I have been wrestling with tables of contents in html in which the first entry displays properly in an html editor and browser but in a converted lrf file the first entry is not fully to the left.

No doubt I am slow at this but I finally figured out what everyone else probably knows: Calibre indents the start of paragraphs by default. So if you use <p> at all, the behavior can be unpredictable if you are trying to line things up.

The solution is simple. Add text-indent: 0in; to your style statement at the top, or make sure that the first paragraph command in your table of contents is something like: <p class="toc;" style="text-indent: 0in;">.

This should also allow you to get rid of indents at the beginnings of all your paragraphs if you like that look better by including it in the style statement at the top of your html.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
UKPHISH
UKPHISH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I am also trying to remove the default indent, and I am sure I am missing something simple.
I am trying to convert from a number of source formats - some HTML, some LIT and others are Word, so I have tried to remove the indent by adding something to the override CSS field in the default conversion settings.
I have tried
--minimum-indent
and
style="text-indent: 0in;
and
text-indent: 0in;
and
<p style="text-indent:0pt">

but I always seem to get the indents in the final .LRF file. I suspect that the Override CSS field is not the right place for what I am trying to do, but I don't want to have to edit every HTML file by hand either.

What am I doing wrong? Is the default CSS available somewhere for me to edit directly? I have looked for it!

Most grateful for any pointers - I love Calibre and BookCreator and feel silly not to be able to fix this little problem

Last edited by UKPHISH; 10-03-2008 at 09:34 AM.
UKPHISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

indent et al

I'm working in html and it does work there, better in a paragraph command at each toc entry than in the CCS style sheet at the top.

Make sure you don't have other commands which are spanning more than one entry. Also make sure that the first one, if that is where the problem is, is just like all the other entries.

If you are using an <h_> command for Contents, try putting a break or paragraph between it and the first entry.

If you are doing a conversion out of word, you may want to save it as html and see what is there by using notepad++ or Kompozer. That way you get a bit more control.

If you add css to Kompozer and it isn't right, when you go back to source again, it will show something different than you typed. That shows you that you haven't got it quite right.

If you use notepad++ or Kompozer, you don't have to do everything quite by hand. You can use replace and choose your start point and choose replace and find repeatedly to cover just the section you want. Doesn't take long at all that way. If you are debugging an scanned text, you use Kompozer to find/replace. Replace all if you really don't want them all, or just close after finding one of them, then hit F3 to repeatedly find what you are looking for. It will be highlighted, so it is a great way to get rid of aggravating hyphens.

I've collected some style statements into one txt document. You might look at them and pick and choose what you want.

I like using the page break before statement with <h3> because it forces the beginning of each new chapter to the top of a page.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cssheads.txt (3.8 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-03-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I have been wrestling with tables of contents in html in which the first entry displays properly in an html editor and browser but in a converted lrf file the first entry is not fully to the left.

No doubt I am slow at this but I finally figured out what everyone else probably knows: Calibre indents the start of paragraphs by default. So if you use <p> at all, the behavior can be unpredictable if you are trying to line things up.

The solution is simple. Add text-indent: 0in; to your style statement at the top, or make sure that the first paragraph command in your table of contents is something like: <p class="toc;" style="text-indent: 0in;">.

This should also allow you to get rid of indents at the beginnings of all your paragraphs if you like that look better by including it in the style statement at the top of your html.
will have to try this for my TOC because having the first paragraph indented drives me nuts!

Normally, I open the HTML in Office 97 (I know it's old but seriously it's the only word that views html without adding a ton of garbage) and in HTML view I remove the <p> and save. When I open the HTML in Calibre and convert to LRF the <p> stays gone so the first chapter doesn't indent. But for some reason as soon as I close the file or switch to Word View it re-adds the <p>
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@ UKPHISH Don't feel bad, it is not an intuitive fix. HTML is some of the hardest text to format from Word because it mixes the HTML tag with its default syntax.

What I suspect is that you are battling LR/CR which is typically what I struggle with when I import any document into Word. (Note this is not seen with ASCII since most people run the WordWrap Fix feature that does this automatically)

In the BookCreator tool I've have a menu option feature that converts all line feed (LF) and carriage returns (CR) to Microsoft Word paragraph format (^p)

Select menu option "Tools|ASCII LF -> Word Paragraphs"

That should do the trick.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone

More about indent

This is a copy of the html from one of my books that makes a lined up table of contents.

I do NOT hold it out as an example of perfect anything. But it does work.

<p></p>
<h2><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><a name="CONTENTS"></a>CONTENTS</font>
</h2>
<p></p>
<p class="toc;" style="text-indent: 0in;"><a href="#CHAPTER_I_CHILDHOOD"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">I. CHILDHOOD</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_II_HARROW"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">II. HARROW</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_III_EXAMINATIONS"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">III.
EXAMINATIONS</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_IV_SANDHURST"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">IV.
SANDHURST</font></a><br>
<font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><a href="#CHAPTER_V_THE_FOURTH_HUSSARS">V.
THE FOURTH HUSSARS</a> </font>
<br>
<font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><a href="#CHAPTER_VI_CUBA">VI.
CUBA</a> </font>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_VII_HOUNSLOW"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">VII.
HOUNSLOW</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_VIII_INDIA"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">VIII.
INDIA </font></a>
<br>
<a href="#EDUCATION_AT_BANGALORE"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">IX.
EDUCATION AT BANGALORE</font></a>
<br>
<font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><a href="#CHAPTER_X_THE_MALAKAND_FIELD_FORCE">X.
THE MALAKAND FIELD FORCE</a> </font>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XI_THE_MAMUND_VALLEY"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XI
THE MAMUND VALLEY</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XII_THE_TIRAH_EXPEDITION"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XII.
THE TIRAH EXPEDITION</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XIII_A_DIFFICULTY_WITH_KITCHEN"><fo nt face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XIII.
A DIFFICULTY WITH KITCHENER</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XIV_THE_EVE_OF_OMDURMAN"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XIV.
THE EVE OF OMDURMAN</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XV_THE_SENSATIONS_OF_A_CAVALRY"><fo nt face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XV.
THE SENSATIONS OF A CAVALRY CHARGE</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XVI_I_LEAVE_THE_ARMY"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XVI.
I LEAVE THE ARMY</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XVII_OLDHAM"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XVII.
OLDHAM</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XVIII_WITH_BULLER_TO_THE_CAPE"><fon t face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XVIII.
WITH BULLER TO THE CAPE</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XIX_THE_ARMOURED_TRAIN"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XIX.
THE ARMOURED TRAIN</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XX_IN_DURANCE_VILE"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XX.
IN DURANCE VILE</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXI_I_ESCAPE_FROM_THE_BOERS_%96_">< font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXI
I ESCAPE FROM THE BOERS - I</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXII_I_ESCAPE_FROM_THE_BOERS_%96">< font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXII.
I ESCAPE FROM THE BOERS - II</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXIII_BACK_TO_THE_ARMY"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXIII
BACK TO THE ARMY</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXIV_SPION_KOP"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXIV.
SPION KOP</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXV_THE_RELIEF_OF_LADYSMITH"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">
XXV. THE RELIEF OF LADYSMITH</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXVI_IN_THE_ORANGE_FREE_STATE"><fon t face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXVI.
IN THE ORANGE FREE STATE</font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXVII_JOHANNESBURG_AND_PRETORI"><fo nt face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXVII.
JOHANNESBURG AND PRETORIA</font></a><br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXVIII_THE_KHAKI_ELECTION"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXVIII.
THE KHAKI ELECTION </font></a>
<br>
<a href="#CHAPTER_XXIX_THE_HOUSE_OF_COMMONS"><font face="Century Schoolbook, serif">XXIX.
THE HOUSE OF COMMONS</font></a></p>
<font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><br>
<font face="Century Schoolbook, serif"><b><br>
</b></font>
</font>

This wraps up the whole table of contents in one paragraph with the same characteristics including no indent.

BTW both Kompozer and Notepad ++ (in the basic edition are free).

But editing html is not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
UKPHISH

remove default indent without HTML?

Thank you for the suggestion and for taking the time to reply, but I have successfully converted all the Line-Feeds into Word paragraphs and I am still getting an indent at the start of every paragraph, which is what I would like to remove.
I am getting very nice looking conversions, but with an indent at the start of every paragraph books with a lot of dialogue look pretty silly, every line is indented except the occasional multi-line paragraph.
I would rather not use the command line for all my conversions, so is there a way that I can change the default indent from within Calibre? I was hoping there was a string I could put into the "Override CSS" field in the set conversion defaults page.
As usual, any pointers very gratefully received.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
p { text-indent: 0pt}
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
UKPHISH

Thumbs up

Thank You!

Your helpfulness and dedication is wonderful, thanks again.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
notifychandan
notifychandan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader ps-505
Sony Reader PRS-500/505 in India ??

There are sony readers in here, I like it as well.

Can I copy pdf (not-bought online) files into "Sony Reader PRS-500/505" ?
and is the tool (Sony Reader PRS-500/505) available in india ?

hope u can help me guys...
notifychandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by notifychandan View Post
Can I copy pdf (not-bought online) files into "Sony Reader PRS-500/505" ?
and is the tool (Sony Reader PRS-500/505) available in india ?
The PRS-500 is an old machine, no longer sold as new. The PRS-505 is not available in India, but can be bought from the US (or the UK), see So, how will we get it in the UK? which is for the new PRS-700 but applies equally to the PRS-505 in India.

The PRS-505 includes Adobe Digital Editions, so it can read both secure and non-secure PDF files. If you have a Windows PC, you can test how well the PRS-505 works by using Sony's Windows ebook Reader. This thread includes a link to another that includes pictures of PDFs on the PRS-505.

If you want more information, I suggest you create a new thread in Which one should I buy? or (if you are sure about buying a PRS-505) Sony Portable Reader PRS-500/505 forums.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:

Is there anyway you could show an example of what you mean? I'm only trying to remove the indent from my table of contents. But I thought stylesheets were supposed to be separate from html docs?

Basically not sure what a style statement is supposed to look like in the header.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone

indents

Broad generalizations about how html is supposed to be handled don't necessarily apply to something which we are NOT going to display on the web, but print. Took me a while to figure that out. You can put the style statement up in the head. It is just convenient if you are managing a whole web site and want a consistent style throughout the whole thing to refer elsewhere. But there is nothing wrong with it either in e books. It is like Windows - you can do many things in 5 or 6 different ways...just do what makes sense to you and is easiest for you.

This is one I use a lot showing where it is by including the surrounding commands:

<html lang="en-us"><head><title>THE
MODERN HISTORY OF JAPAN</title>
<style type="text/css">
.blockquot{margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%;}
.toc {font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-size:12pt; line-height:150%; text-indent: 0in;}
h4 {font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-variant: small-caps; text-align: center}
h3{
page-break-before: always; clear:both; font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-variant: small-caps; text-align: center}
p { text-align: justify; font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-size:12pt;text-indent: 0in;}
.title {font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-size:14pt;font weight: bold; text-align: left}
body {font-family:'Century Schoolbook'; font-size:12pt;text-align: left}</style></head><body>

You would enclose what you want to have for your table of contents thus:

<span class="toc">Table of Contents, etc.</span>

or you can do <p class="toc"> all of your table of contents goes here</p> and use breaks to get carriage returns.

or this:

<p class="toc" style="text-indent: 0in;" align="left">Table of Contents goes here!</p>

Note that my .toc has 150% line height to space them out.

There is an order of precedence of these commands which I will frankly admit I have not mastered yet...so maybe someone else can help out or you can play around with a sample document you create with a simple table of contents and a little sample text so you can see the effect of changing things.

As Kovid has pointed out, calibre guesses what you mean and quite often guesses right but not always. So do your changes, and run them through calibre and view them in the e book library program or calibre to see what the actual effect is. Generally the more information the better in terms of formatting.

I hope this is some help. You can define different styles so your paragraphs in the table of contents look different than in your text or so that poetry does not get mangled by being justified when you want it left, or so it has bold or italics...whatever you want it to look like.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Broad generalizations about how html is supposed to be handled don't necessarily apply to something which we are NOT going to display on the web, but print. Took me a while to figure that out. You can put the style statement up in the head. It is just convenient if you are managing a whole web site and want a consistent style throughout the whole thing to refer elsewhere. But there is nothing wrong with it either in e books. It is like Windows - you can do many things in 5 or 6 different ways...just do what makes sense to you and is easiest for you.
Your post really helped. I'm going to try it and see if it's any faster than my current method. Though the learning curve may hold me back at first.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone

Another resource

You may well already know about this, but I thought I would mention it anyway:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

They have examples for all the elements of CSS...some are only useful for web pages, but it gives you some more commands to get things the way you want.

Mike