Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenP View Post
I've read the whole Rivers series. You folks keep this up and I'm good for the rest of the year.

BTW, it is a great and fun series. Kudos! I guess that means I fourth it!
It wouldn't do in March, but July, Aug and Dec could do for the rest of the series so far.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll go with doing away with it. I think people partaking are smart enough to be able to find out is any of the proposed eBooks are available in his/her country....

Other opinions. Any objections? If not, I'll eliminate it starting next month.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, while I like the idea of another Peter Grant, I also think it's past time we read a Ngaio Marsh mystery. We could start at the beginning, with A Man Lay Dead, but I'd rather start at the first of the series that includes an important new character, Agatha Troy, so instead, I'll nominate Artists in Crime.
Goodreads:
Spoiler:
It was a bizarre pose for beautiful model Sonia Gluck--and her last. For in the draperies of her couch lay a fatal dagger, and behind her murder lies all the intrigue and acid-etched temperament of an artist's colony. Called in to investigate, Scotland Yard's Inspector Roderick Alleyn finds his own passions unexpectedly stirred by the fiesty painter Agatha Troy--brilliant artist and suspected murderess. First published in 1938.

Amazon:
Spoiler:
In the movies, it’s known as a “meet cute.” But for Inspector Alleyn and Miss Agatha Troy, it’s more like irritation: On the ship back to England, she finds him tedious and dull; he thinks she’s a bohemian cliché. They may be destined for romance, but there’s a murder in the way: No sooner has Alleyn settled in to his mother’s house, eager for a relaxing end to his vacation, then he gets a call that a model has been stabbed at the artists’ community down the road. And the artistic Miss Troy is one of the community’s most prominent and outspoken members.

AmazonUS: $7.99
AmazonCA: $9.99 CDN
AmazonCA 3 Book Collection: $11.99 CDN
Audible (Nadia May Narration): $19.57
KoboCA: $11.99 CDN (3book) $9.99 CDN (Single)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to try a Ngaio Marsh mystery. Second Artists in Crime.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Third Artists in Crime.
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who will be reading Artists in Crime in Library editions, the following are Overdrive versions:
OverDrive eBook
OverDrive eBook (three book compilation)
OverDrive AudioBook (Wanda McCaddon narration)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And, just to provide another alternative, how about the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr? The first in the series is: Track of the Cat, and is set in the West Texas back country where Anna Pigeon has her first US Parks Service Ranger job.

From Amazon:
Spoiler:
THE FIRST ANNA PIGEON NOVEL

The fascinating hero of Nevada Barr’s award-winning series—park ranger Anna Pigeon—has brought an unyielding love of nature and sense of fair play to the mystery genre. Track of the Cat is the acclaimed novel that first introduced readers to Anna, as a woman looking for peace in the wilderness—and finding murder instead…

Patrolling the remote West Texas backcountry, Anna’s first job as a national park ranger is marred by violence she thought she had left behind: the brutal death of a fellow ranger. When the cause of death is chalked up to a mountain lion attack, Anna’s rage knows no bounds. It’s up to her to save the protected cats from the politics and prejudices of the locals—and prove the kill was the work of a species far less rare…

From Goodreads:
Spoiler:
Anna Pigeon fled the turmoil of New York to become a national park ranger, only to discover she hasn't escaped murder and violence. When a colleague is killed, claw marks on the victim's throat and paw prints around the body are too perfect to be those of an alleged killer mountain lion.

From Audible:
Spoiler:
Publisher's Summary

From the vivid opening vista, high in craggy mountains, to the final haunting glimpse of a moonlit canyon, Nevada Barr's first mystery, Track of the Cat, instantly caught the attention of readers and reviewers. Its popularity gained it both an Agatha and an Anthony Award.
The young naturalist, Anna Pigeon, has moved to the Southwest wilderness to be a park ranger. There, her days are filled with the physical demands of working in the Guadalupe Mountains and the satisfaction of living in this splendid land. Her peace is shattered one morning, though, when she discovers the body of another ranger deep in Dog Canyon. How did the usually cautious woman die? Although at first the evidence indicates an attack by a mountain lion, Anna soon suspects that there are craftier predators afoot in the wild grasses.
Fast-paced suspense and sharply defined characters will immediately sweep you up in the force of this compelling mystery. By the end, you'll be nodding in satisfaction at the final twist and anticipating the next book in the Anna Pigeon series. Narrator Barbara Rosenblat's performance highlights Anna's savvy courage and determination to catch her prey.

AmazonUS: $7.99
Audible: $24.47
Kobo: $7.99
OverDrive eBook

Last edited by CRussel; 01-20-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I nominate The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins.

Higgins was famous for his unique use of dialogue. George Pelicanos suggested to Elmore Leonard that before he write any more crime novels, he should first read Eddie Coyle.

Kindle - $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/Friends-Eddie...dp/B003H4I54E/

Kobo - $9.99
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...-eddie-coyle-2

Nook - $9.99
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/frie...=9781429931984

I note that both Amazon and B&N have the paperback for $9.37.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, while I like the idea of another Peter Grant, I also think it's past time we read a
new series by a new author. That book would be The Dry by Jane Harper.

But if that doesn't win, then I would happily go with Moon Over Soho. In fact, that's my #1 choice with The Dry being #2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #25
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I second The Rook
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, while I like the idea of another Peter Grant, I also think it's past time we read a Ngaio Marsh mystery. We could start at the beginning, with A Man Lay Dead, but I'd rather start at the first of the series that includes an important new character, Agatha Troy, so instead, I'll nominate Artists in Crime[/URL].
You are starting with the 6th book in a series where the book club has not read the first 5. And no way can you tell us that all of these are stand alone.

Please change your nomination to the 1st book and not the 6th. If you do insist on keeping this, then make sure it's listed in the voting as the 6th book of a series. I want to make sure everybody knows it's 6th of a series which is a very back idea.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd like to try a Ngaio Marsh mystery. Second Artists in Crime.
Before you give up your nod, do you know it's #6 in the series?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Yes. Yes I do. It wouldn't be the first time I started a series in the middle. If I like it, then I'll go to #1 and read it in order.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #29
bfisher
Wizard

I second The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins. Great dialogue, and the movie version was one of Robert Mitchum's great roles.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #30
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I second Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote