Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think what struck me most was that the study made no claims of cognitive benefits, but limited itself to the "survival advantage." We see all sorts of games, puzzles, programs that claim to stave off dementia and are even marketed as such (with nothing to back them up), but this is sheer longevity.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
"People who read live longer" doesn't mean that "reading makes you live longer". There may be other explanations. Perhaps those people are just happier because they are doing something they enjoy whereas those who enjoy other hobbies, but can no longer engage in them because of age, are less satisfied with their lives and have less to live for.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-29-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I don't disagree with the study, but I've seen similar studies for things like knitting. I'm a lifelong knitter, and sure enough, on Ravelry I've seen post after post about how knitting staves off dementia. The overlap in knitting and reading is that they are not passive hobbies. Both require concentration on what you're doing. and that is always a good thing.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I don't disagree with the study, but I've seen similar studies for things like knitting. I'm a lifelong knitter, and sure enough, on Ravelry I've seen post after post about how knitting staves off dementia. The overlap in knitting and reading is that they are not passive hobbies. Both require concentration on what you're doing. and that is always a good thing.
But what about Sleep-Reading?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
But this study doesn't discuss dementia, only longevity.

Generally speaking. I've seen claims for the cognitive benefits of various activities, but many aren't substantiated although they seem reasonable; then, studies do exist regarding the benefits of certain activities in staving off various effects of ageing. It can be difficult to pin down where certain claims fall on the spectrum: Supported by study > Anecdotal evidence > Seems likely > Totally fabricated.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But this study doesn't discuss dementia, only longevity.

Generally speaking. I've seen claims for the cognitive benefits of various activities, but many aren't substantiated although they seem reasonable; then, studies do exist regarding the benefits of certain activities in staving off various effects of ageing. It can be difficult to pin down where certain claims fall on the spectrum: Supported by study > Anecdotal evidence > Seems likely > Totally fabricated.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Or maybe it is because the bookworm doesn't want to miss the next book in a series, then the next one, and the one after that...
Yeah, my Mom wants to live long enough to read the final book in The Song Of Ice and Fire. She's 82.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yeah, my Mom wants to live long enough to read the final book in The Song Of Ice and Fire. She's 82.
My wife feels the same way and she's 38!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This explains my aunt very well. She just turned 98.
The last surviving family member from my parents generation, my Aunt Bern, will turn 98 in January. She reads all the time!
Old 11-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Most of my family members who are still living are readers, but none of those who have died read anything at all any more. Enough proof for me!
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

LOL! And I'm guessing that if you read while crossing busy streets are walking around the subway tunnels you might not fit well into that study.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #27
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I think it's because readers park their fat lazy rear ends in comfy chairs.

The guys who die young are the ones who like to run.

Yep, try as hard as they can, they can't outrun cars, wolf packs, or tigers.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #28
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm supporting the sheer determination of bookworms to finish the TBR list before they die ... the strength derived from knowing there's still more books to finish ... and the fact they keep adding new titles to the list ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #29
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
I just had to say it.

"Bookworms live two years longer"

Oh No, there are worms in our books and now we can't kill them for two years!
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
As his disease progressed the books went away but he still maintained an insistence on reading the newspaper every morning.
My father had dementia in his last years, but he rarely lost his sense of humor. He told me, "I read the same newspaper every day. It's always news to me. Saves me a lot of money."
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote