Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #31
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I just got my email too
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #32
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
I'm "never" in this forum. Had one little ole news item to post. Happened to see the title of this thread. Sorry, but I have only scanned all of the posts. I may have missed something that addresses my question and prediction below.

First, how does one backup Nook books? I'm not tech savvy. I've been under the impression that backing up Nook books now ain't possible, for all practical purposes at least. I'm not asking that someone go into that on this thread. If someone could just direct me to a thread that might have the answer to that question, that would be great.

I was buying (also getting free) lots of books from B&N. When they changed things so that we couldn't download our books anymore, I basically quit buying from them. I'm sure that they had their reasons for making the move, but I cannot help but believe that it was, or will be, counterproductive for them. If nothing else, they lost a tremendous amount of goodwill.

Folks, I think that I see the writing on the wall. I'm assuming that by "Nook UK store closing?" that that means that they will or might quit selling Nook books to people in the UK. Be that as it may, I think that this is another step by B&N that portends the ultimate demise of the company in the U.S. I'm feeling a real sense of urgency of backing up my books and getting them out of their hands.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-03-2016 at 05:30 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #33
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I would expect Nook wouldn't just give all the data, I'd expect there to be an accept terms section which would give them the right to transfer the data.
I imagine it's different from each company, but I know at one time, one of the company's I bought books from transferred their accounts to the now defunct Borders....and Borders set me up without asking me about it, including all the personal information that had been held on the other site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Only outside the US. They think they can take on Amazon and stay in business by being US inclusive. Complete waste of a company.
Seems like Sony notified its UK customers first of its decision to pull out of ebooks. Maybe 6 months later, the US was also notified. It does make you wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Folks, I think that I see the writing on the wall. I'm assuming that by "Nook UK store closing?" that that means that they will or might quit selling Nook books to people in the UK. Be that as it may, I think that this is another step by B&N that portends the ultimate demise of the company in the U.S. I'm feeling a real sense of urgency of backing up my books and getting them out of their hands.
Yup.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 AM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Only outside the US. They think they can take on Amazon and stay in business by being US inclusive. Complete waste of a company.
BN in the US is like WHSmith or Waterstones in the UK. It's "the" store that most people are going to think of when they have to visit a bookstore in-person to buy paperbooks or other related items. WH Smith and Waterstones have had their own challenges selling books within the UK. I can't imagine they would have done much better trying to sell to the US market than BN did overseas. It's not surprising that BN is abandoning this strategy. It didn't seem that they ever really gave it a serious go anyway.

Apparently BN also announced the closing of their App Store in the US today too. I haven't received that email yet. They've had the Google Play store on their newer devices so not much impact to me.

I'm hoping the news of all these events means they are making strategic decisions to focus on their core businesses in the future and that it's not to late to keep the ship from sinking.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #35
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm "never" in this forum. Had one little ole news item to post. Happened to see the title of this thread. Sorry, but I have only scanned all of the posts. I may have missed something that addresses my question and prediction below.

First, how does one backup Nook books? I'm not tech savvy. I've been under the impression that backing up Nook books now ain't possible, for all practical purposes at least. I'm not asking that someone go into that on this thread. If someone could just direct me to a thread that might have the answer to that question, that would be great.

I was buying (also getting free) lots of books from B&N. When they changed things so that we couldn't download our books anymore, I basically quit buying from them. I'm sure that they had their reasons for making the move, but I cannot help but believe that it was, or will be, counterproductive for them. If nothing else, they lost a tremendous amount of goodwill.

What you can do is use the Nook desktop applications, download them in there and then the DRM versions will be stored somewhere on your computer, I "presume" that DRM stripping software can then strip that off

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I imagine it's different from each company, but I know at one time, one of the company's I bought books from transferred their accounts to the now defunct Borders....and Borders set me up without asking me about it, including all the personal information that had been held on the other site.
It's probably a bit different over here, in theory the data protection act should prevent any customer data being handed over without the customers permission.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #36
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you buy any books from Fictionwise? Perhaps you gained a nook account when your FW books got transferred to nook. That's how I got mine.
No, I never had any dealings with Fictionwise. I think they were already gone by the time I was aware they existed.

I guess I must have set something up on the device that created a store account for me, but I'm pretty sure I've never bought or downloaded anything from them, and I don't think I've ever had an email from them before.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:02 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The FAQs are worth reading!

"If your NOOK Book isn't available to transfer, you'll get a Sainsbury's Entertainment On demand voucher for the price you paid for the title. You can use this voucher to buy new digital content that is currently available on Sainsbury's Entertainment On demand."

I wonder if this applies to transfers from Fictionwise. If so, I'm likely to get an enormous amount of credit at Sainsbury's! (I have about 1500 ebooks in my nook UK account, mostly transferred from Fictionwise.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

"If your NOOK Book isn't available to transfer, you'll get a Sainsbury's Entertainment On demand voucher for the price you paid for the title. You can use this voucher to buy new digital content that is currently available on Sainsbury's Entertainment On demand."

I wonder if this applies to transfers from Fictionwise. If so, I'm likely to get an enormous amount of credit at Sainsbury's! (I have about 1500 ebooks in my nook UK account, mostly transferred from Fictionwise.)
That is interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 AM   #39
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
If I search by author I might get a result, but they have no dedicated section. Even if they do move my account to Sainsburys I'll give it a miss. I can't be bothered to trawl through hundreds of books to get to the ones I want to read.
Why would there be a dedicated section for LGBT?
Haven't the complaints always been that the LGBT community have been marginalised and shuttered off to the side, are people now unhappy that it's become mainstream and just lumped in with everything else.

OK, I'm taking the mick a bit, I suspect there isn't a dedicated section because Sainsbury's don't seem to deal with indies at all and the bigger publishers don't categorise books this way (Not even Tor).

On the plus side according the the FAQ's any books not transfered will get you a sainsbury's entertainment voucher, so you should be quids in. If you can't find any books you want there is movies and music instead.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #40
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course. I just find this whole 'let's transfer your library to somewhere less useful' quite bizarre. The original switch to Nook was barely useful and now Nook tossing us off to Sainsburys. Why bother. Why make out that ebooks are safe and the people you buy your books from can be trusted. That's all total rubbish.
Surely giving you the option of transferring your library over is better than just shutting up shop like BOB, especially given the fact that there is no way to actually download books from nook UK.

Quote:
I'm also not particularly happy that my personal details gets bandied around like its worth nothing. Yes I can ignore the email (if one ever turns up) but Nook will have still passed my details to Sainsburys, without my consent.
I suspect not, I got an email from nook saying you will have to set up an account with Sainsbury's if you don't have one and nook will send you a unique link to do the transfer. I would assume that the link contains the activation/authorisation for passing the data over.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:13 AM   #41
MikeB1972
Gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
BN in the US is like WHSmith or Waterstones in the UK. It's "the" store that most people are going to think of when they have to visit a bookstore in-person to buy paperbooks or other related items. WH Smith and Waterstones have had their own challenges selling books within the UK. I can't imagine they would have done much better trying to sell to the US market than BN did overseas. It's not surprising that BN is abandoning this strategy. It didn't seem that they ever really gave it a serious go anyway.

Apparently BN also announced the closing of their App Store in the US today too. I haven't received that email yet. They've had the Google Play store on their newer devices so not much impact to me.

I'm hoping the news of all these events means they are making strategic decisions to focus on their core businesses in the future and that it's not to late to keep the ship from sinking.
Well, WH Smiths sold off their ebook store to Kobo and Waterstones went down the, frankly bizarre, route of selling kindles as hardware and epubs as ebooks so it is possible that B&N is going to end up exiting the ebook market completely and just sell paper books.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #42
MikeB1972
Gnu

Quote:

I should confuse them as well then, B&N was where I did all my American shopping until they worked out what GEO restrictions were.

Books bought at either US or UK were always available to both accounts fortunately, as it was the only way to download books bought in the UK.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm also not particularly happy that my personal details gets bandied around like its worth nothing. Yes I can ignore the email (if one ever turns up) but Nook will have still passed my details to Sainsburys, without my consent.
I very much doubt that this has happened. Any email to you about the change will be from B&N, not Sainsbury's. If you ignore the email, Sainsbury's will not get your details.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

If the move goes well, I'll be happier with Sainsbury's than with nook UK. At least with Sainsbury's we can download our books using ADE, instead of having to use some device or poorly maintained desktop app.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

Thanks for this, it might be worth trying to switch then. I only have 175 books but I seriously doubt even one is available at Sainsburys.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote