Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
rjalex
rjalex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Exclamation Kindle Paperwhite rebooting and loosing ebooks

Dear friends,
I'm quite desperate. Today I transferred a few new books via Calibre 0.9.36 (now the total is 48 MOBI/EPUB/AZW3 and 2 PDF ebooks) on my newish Kindle Paperwhite on my iMac running Mac OS Mountain Lion.

The program hung and I actually had to restart my iMac (a very rare thing to do).

I do not know if there's any correlation but after this happened now my kindle reboots very often and "looses" the ebooks that I have on it (it says My Items (0) !!!) but when I connect the kindle with Calibre I see the books I would expect to be in the kindle as already present in Main memory !

I tried resetting the Kindle via the menu and then retransferring all of my ebooks but this keeps on happening.

Any ideas / solutions ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Last edited by rjalex; 06-23-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added the Main memory bit
rjalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalex View Post
Dear friends,
I'm quite desperate. Today I transferred a few new books via Calibre 0.9.36 (now the total is 48 MOBI/EPUB/AZW3 and 2 PDF ebooks) on my newish Kindle Paperwhite on my iMac running Mac OS Mountain Lion.

The program hung and I actually had to restart my iMac (a very rare thing to do).

I do not know if there's any correlation but after this happened now my kindle reboots very often and "looses" the ebooks that I have on it (it says My Items (0) !!!) but when I connect the kindle with Calibre I see the books I would expect to be in the kindle as already present in Main memory !

I tried resetting the Kindle via the menu and then retransferring all of my ebooks but this keeps on happening.

Any ideas / solutions ?

Thanks in advance !!!
If you had an ABEND (ABnormal ENDing) like you did, the file system on both/either your MAC and KPW can be damaged. You should run the disk repair utility against both file systems to correct broken entries.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
rjalex

Thanks. The Mac fs is aok. I tried running the disk utility also against the mounted Kindle disk but it gives different results (number of files) each time I verify/repair :-( I just chatted with the Amazon representative which will send a new unit and FWIW they advised AGAINST running the disk utility on the Kindle.
I hope this happened because of a HW malfunction and not some weird interaction between Calibre and the Paperwhite (the old Kindle NEVER EVER had any problems until the screen died after 2 years of honourable servce)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
rjalex

Tried to run Disk Utility on the Mac FS and there was no problem whatsoever (I had to reboot because the Calibre process hung and could not be killed but the OS was restarted via a proper shutdown).

Tired to run on the mounted Kindle but the behaviour was quite weird :-( The Verify phase said there were 550 files (making the number up but to give an idea), then after I ran the Repair phase it ended with a different number (say 558). If I ran another Verify, it came up with a different number altogether (say 575) etc etc.

FWIW I called Amazon to have the unit changed, they say it should be an HW problem and they also advised NOT to use the Disk Utility (or Win chkdisk or whatever alternative) on the Kindle cause it could trash stuff.

I dearly hope it was actually a malfunctioning unit and not some weird interaction between Calibre and the Paperwhite (I've seen there were problems at the beginning while Calibre and the very old 1st gen Kindle have worked FLAWLESSLY together until its screen death after a couple of years)

Thanks for trying to help.