Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
For example at Kobo (but I hear it's the same at Amazon), for each publisher "chanel", a chanel-wide "DRM-Selector" is used, with absolutely no per-title granularity.
Amazon *defaults* to DRM-free with their self-pub system.
The publisher has to enable it on a per-book basis.
https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishi...=AT1K7B0DRETM0

http://www.ehow.com/how_5416301_publ...amazoncom.html

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

http://www.ehow.com/how_5416301_publ...amazoncom.html
That's right, but that adresses the "Self-publishers" system.
(Kobo, OTOH defaults to DRMs IIRC).

My contacts with Kobo people, and Immateriel (a French distributor) tell me that the "big publisher's" system is different and doesn't offer the same granularity as it does for Self-publishers, hence my comment.
(I should have made the distinction clear, sorry).
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Oh, but I what I wanted to add (to my own post a little earlier): It seems as if Free Press is related to Simon & Schuster. I don't know them, but as far as I know, they are big in the USA, right? Maybe I should write to Simon & Schuster, too
Free Press is a wholly owned subsidiary of Simon & Schuster. I suspect that Free Press have no control over their ebook/DRM policy, but it wouldn't hurt to both Free Press and Simon & Schuster.

The tricky bit is finding the right person to email.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A minor point, but Amazon's KDP does not have a default DRM setting. The person uploading has to choose whether or not to enable DRM. It's not very clear in the attached screenshot, but the "Browse for book" and "Upload book" buttons are disabled. They're enabled once one of the DRM radio buttons has been selected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDP-DRM-option.png
Views:	147
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	92949  
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The tricky bit is finding the right person to email.
Maybe...

Carolyn K. Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer
carolyn.reidy@simonandschuster.com

Elinor Hirschhorn, Executive Vice President, Chief Digital Officer
elinor.hirschhorn@simonandschuster.com
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert