Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast
JeffASonyReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Adding My Own RSS Feeds Safely

Hi, I want to add my own RSS feeds safely. I found a forum thread which https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7946 appears to solve all my concerns, however as a recent purchaser of my PRS-505 I want to be absolutely sure I don't add a script or do anything which voids my warranty or causes grief. Can anyone confirm this is safe or give step by step instructions without too much technical involvement?

That being said, I am a nerd.

I just want to know which steps are safest.
Thanks to all.
JeffASonyReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it is perfectly safe and will not void the warranty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast

Won't void my warranty? If anything happens won't Sony's techs give me a spiel about "modification", bricking it, all that?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How will generating content for the reader be considered modification? It's not. It's just another lRF file to read on the 505.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast

How am I going to know what Sony will say to avoid facing up? They already send form answers to specific email's. Anything third party is considered "modification" these days. Spend an afternoon reading customer complaints about Sony not honoring basic warranty concerns. Not to be mentioned, my 2 Sony electronic units that died 1 day after the 1 year warranty.
Legally speaking, anything not bundled with Sony's giving is considered THIRD PARTY, unless from Sony (covers, accessories).

The Web2Book software is severely under documented, and runs miserably slow. It runs so slow, without a progress icon, no less, it's as though it hanged.

Running the "test" option in the bottom, 7 out of the 8 feeds I subscribed to from the user contributed option, failed. These were the major, top news organizations. Reuters, WSJ, NYtimes, Time. Is this program supported enough to justify using it?

God, this is ridiculous. Went through the .Net 2.0 update, and 7 feeds failed.
"Added 0 articles, added 0 articles, added 0 articles..."

Oh well, probably will work after manually adding feeds later in the week.
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Kasracer
Kasracer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Jesus dude you're paranoid....

If you honestly think Sony would consider the warranty "void" because you put a book on an eBook reader is just silly. They couldn't do that and even if they tried, you could contact the BBB and get it straightened out easily.
Kasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast

Well, Jesus dude you're naive.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/18/ru...-ps3-warranty/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._warranty.html

http://weeklygeekshow.com/2007/11/so..._of_warran.php
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Kasracer
Kasracer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You're a troll and you're not serious, right? At least I hope so...

In any case, the first link you posted is a rumour that's wrong. The second is about dust but did you even look at the pictures that later surfaced? The dude abused his PS3 and it was so full of dust it was insane. I wouldn't have given him anything either though I believe they eventually did something for him.

The last link is just FUD and someone's opinions about the other two.

Back to the topic at hand, the application basically creates an eBook for you to use on your device. This will not and could not void your warranty. If it was even possible, you would see stories of MP3 players having their warranty's voided because an MP3 was put onto the player. All you're doing is using the device within specification.

You're being paranoid and the articles you cited do not apply.
Kasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Jeff, you are being paranoid. There is no way doing what you want is going to void the warranty.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Jeff,
If you really believe what you are writing then then the logical extension of the argument would be that you can not load any book on to the Reader other than those blessed by and sold by Sony. I certainly hope that this is not the case. If it is the case then the Reader is an extremely expensive, useless piece of hardware.

As for your examples certainly Sony has the right to reject any warranty claim for damage caused by connecting a Reader or a PCP to or with a defective piece of hardware. Also they clearly are not responsible for damage caused by excessive soiling or improper maintenance. I can't judge whether or not that was the case in the example you cited and that probably is the kind of case for which the courts were designed. As for the third case I cannot read the cite today.

Properly speaking a "book" is not even software (no executable code) and the worst such a file might cause is a crash due to a buffer overflow or some such. Bottom line is that I intend to use mine to read any "book" I wish and if I have problems I expect Sony will do the right thing. Though, like most large, modern companies, they may require a little encouragement.
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote