Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #241
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post

So, the questions:

1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
2) Highlighting text is so horrible and painful?
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?
Hi Ragnor,

1) Yes. Correction: no. See next two posts.
2) Not really. You can tap-and-hold a word for a second and then start dragging your finger to select all the words you want selected. Once you've done that, the menu automatically opens to give you highlighting or annotations options etc. If you tap-and-hold longer without dragging, the dictionary will popup to show you the definition of the word.
3) The only current problematic bug in the newest firmware (2.1.4) is one that only affects you if you are reading content from a micro SD card. I'm not sure on the specifics, I think if you're reading a book from the SD card and put the reader to sleep, and then wake it up again the device will be unresponsive and restart. Having said that, the Kobo team has narrowed down the problem and a fix has been made which is currently being tested. JackAstor is keeping us up to date on that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2862&page=5#71 So there will be a fix for that soon, and you won't even encounter the bug if you hold off from using an SD card for now.
3b) Indeed, the Kobo Customer Care is not always exactly very helpful. Now and again you do come across a really good customer care employee, but more often they only know solutions to simple things. Luckily, there's lots and lots of people here that can help with a lot of things. And when you're really in trouble the higher ups from Kobo are also extremely helpful.

I'd like to add that the Kobo is very useful in its international functionality. For me, that really sets it aside from the other devices. Dictionaries in all sorts of languages are available, for instance.

I would recommend a Kobo Glo over a Kindle PW, but I'm biassed

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-12-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Correction. Thought I read somewhere that 1 was possible. Apparently read wrong. Just tested PDF selection: none available.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #242
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?

Thanks! Kind regards!
1 - dictionary and annotate are NOT available in pdf, but are in the rest. There are was to export these if you want, but you'll have to search the forums for how to do it (not native functionality). Only annotations/bookmarks in kepubs (Kobo bought books) are synced to Kobo's servers and recoverable if you have a major meltdown or lose your Kobo.
2 - after reading in another post to ignore the handles and just move, I would say it's not bad (but I really don't use it much, so take my opinion with a few grains of salt).
3 - IMHO only big bug is sd card reboots and that should be fixed shortly barring a major showstopper.

I've had all 4 versions of the Kobo e-reader and I would recommend it for reading. Screen from what I've seen of pictures is better on the Glo vs Paperwhite. It looks like you're planning to use it for specific academic type uses, so it's probably worth doing as much specific digging as you can. My usage (and likely a lot of those on here) probably wouldn't resemble yours at all.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #243
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So, the questions:

I have never tested before, but it doesn't support the dictionary or annotations for PDFs and TXT. I assume it will only do it fro ePub and kepub.
Quote:
For single words, it is easy. For longer text, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193074 for a discussion on how to do it and opinions.
Quote:
With the recently released firmware, there is an issue with reading epubs that are on the SD card. If you are reading one and let the reader go to sleep, when you wake it and press the screen the reader restarts. That is the only situation that I am sure of. There have been some other restarts mentioned, but I don't have a feel for whether they are related to this problem or are something else. Kobo are fixing the problem now and appear to have pulled

Overall, the Kobo Touch, the predecessor to the Glo, has been stable. Just about any restart I have had was due to me doing something that I probably shouldn't have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #244
Andrey6
Andrey6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
Kobo service is awful. They talk many nice words but do no good things. Kobos dictionaries are awful too. Even English dictionary. Firmware is one big bug (with SD or without one).
I'll return Kobo Glo and will buy Paperwite.
Andrey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #245
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
While highlighting for annotations doesn't work in PDF, you can set a bookmark and add a note.

As for Kobo's customer service... I've only dealt with them twice, but both times I found them to be polite and reasonable. Both matters were resolved satisfactorily.

Even on firmware 2.0.0 I find my Touch to be an awesome device that I love using. I would recommend Kobo to anyone.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #246
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
While highlighting for annotations doesn't work in PDF, you can set a bookmark and add a note.

As for Kobo's customer service... I've only dealt with them twice, but both times I found them to be polite and reasonable. Both matters were resolved satisfactorily.

Even on firmware 2.0.0 I find my Touch to be an awesome device that I love using. I would recommend Kobo to anyone.
Well said but I'm not sure there's any point responding to these posts. I suspect there is now a resident troll or two on the Kobo forum. Wonder why they bother if Kobo has such awful products. Just doing their civic duty I guess...note that they never offer specifics, just a diss and the vow to buy a Kindle.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #247
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what ebook I should buy, Paperwhite or Kobo Glo.
You should take into consideration that if you buy Kindle, you buy into a closed format system. Personally I would never do that, even if it was the only e-reader on the planet.

I have no personal experience with Kobo products, but at least they use an open format system.

Perhaps you should also take into consideration the upcoming Onyx Boox Firefly (it will get released this month).
This reader is also open format and it supports virtually everything you might ever want to read on an e-reader, including comics.

The price might at first seem high, but it includes a 16 Gb memory card, protective cover, USB data cable and USB charger out of the box. So the price is actually very competitive for what it offers.

Furthermore it features 8 Gb internal memory!!!! which is unique and also a Hires screen, frontlighting, audio jack, TTS etc.

Also their annotation system is said to be very sophisticated.

I personally am considering the Onix Firefly as my next reader now.

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #248
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Hi,

Thanks for all your answers!!

For now, I'm more inclined to buy a Kobo than PW.
I think it has more possibilities. I'm only concerned about firmware issues and restarts, and the though about PW having a more stable device.

For Kindle, I think that there's a way to open other type formats using programs like Caliber and converters, but I don't know how much limited is this. I think internal memory is a more important factor, in my opinion.

BTW, I still don't getting why they put only 2GB of internal memory (and only available memory in PaperWhite). Nowadays, 4 or even 8GB are extremely cheap, and it's a shame that a device which costs >100$/€ only has 2GB.

Thanks again!!
Greets!
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #249
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Good question. I think most people probably don't need more than 2GB.i consider myself a fairly active reader (maybe not compared to people on this forum) and I only have about 60 books on my reader. I don't now how much free space i have but it's probably a ton.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #250
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
I'm only concerned about firmware issues and restarts, and the though about PW having a more stable device.
I've had my Glo a week now, read three novels and had no restarts.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #251
LoveMyBooks
Truth Sleuth
LoveMyBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Good Morning to all and a very happy Friday as well! I am at work and I do not get a lot of time to log on to this site, however I am able to follow this thread via email. And I would like to say that, I, for one, really appreciate all the wonderful advice. And just a reminder, I am eager to buy a Kobo Glo, however, when will they be available? The Kobo website says "coming soon". So how did you get one, Treadlightly?

With that said, I have a confession to make....my co-worker came into my office and showed me a new Stephen King book she bought at Barnes and Noble. It's a beautiful hard cover...and I held in my arms and just about cradled it like a baby. I'm not kidding..LOL. I love hard cover books and now I'm wondering about even getting a new reader. I have enjoyed my Kobo WiFi for about a year and a half. *sighs*
LoveMyBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #252
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBooks View Post
And just a reminder, I am eager to buy a Kobo Glo, however, when will they be available? The Kobo website says "coming soon". So how did you get one, Treadlightly?
They are now available in stores here in Canada. There is a thread in this forum about US availability.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #253
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Good question. I think most people probably don't need more than 2GB.i consider myself a fairly active reader (maybe not compared to people on this forum) and I only have about 60 books on my reader. I don't now how much free space i have but it's probably a ton.
Well, some people love to have a lot of books on hand, all the time, everywhere. One can think of all kinds of reasons. I for example am a Jack Vance fan and the idea that I can read any of his books any time I want, and always have them on my reader is very... comforting.
But Jack Vance is not the only writer I love, and I am also very interested in philosophy and biological evolution, Kafka, Russian and Chinese literature etc. etc. etc.

You can see were this leads. The cool thing of an e-reader is that in principle it enables you to carry all your favorite books with you all the time.

Why should I have to choose which of my books I put on my reader if with current technology it is incredibly easy and cheap to simply have your complete library (and then some) with you all the time.

But... I am not only talking about books.
Do not forget that many readers have audio capabilities.
So many people want to have audio books on their readers and a selection of music too.

So clearly 2 Gb of memory is not enough. And most of the time half of that is not even usable because it is occupied by system files.

Of course if your reader just does not have more than 2 Gb of internal storage you will adapt and cope. It is not an earth shattering problem, but my point is... why should I have to cope? Why not just put 16 Gb, or even 32 Gb of internal memory in the damn thing. It's not that expensive.
I do not want to have to think about whether or not a certain collection of books and music fits in the measly 1 Gb of storage I am allowed to use. It should not be an issue.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #254
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
why should I have to cope? Why not just put 16 Gb, or even 32 Gb of internal memory in the damn thing. It's not that expensive.
I do not want to have to think about whether or not a certain collection of books and music fits in the measly 1 Gb of storage I am allowed to use. It should not be an issue.
Because of how market choices are made.
Even if it's indeed "not that expensive", having 32GB instead of 2 is not free, actually it comes with a cost that may cause some people not to buy the product, the very same ones which are perfectly happy with 2GB of space, even the 1.2GB truly available.
I do concur with the above poster : that should be a vast majority of us.
As for the rest, I believe that the choice of having a small amount of core memory and giving users the ability of expanding it through SD cards is a very sensible one.
Fixed, fairly low price and scalable memory size.
That sounds like a clever deal indeed, market wise.

Last edited by SeigneurAo; 10-12-2012 at 11:38 PM.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #255
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
I think that the difference in price between 2GB and 4GB is very tiny, whereas is a big improvement. Maybe it will cost some cents. And the same applies for a SD-card reader.

4GB seems a good point to start, and most of smartphones offers different memory sizes. I don't get why should be 4 different Kindles (WiFi, WiFi+Ads, WiFi+3G, WiFi+3G+Ads), but all with the same storage. In my opinion, is more useful more storage than 3G.

I would have bought Paperwhite if it had come with more storage. This is the reason why I'm more interested in Kobo, and probably a lot of people will buy Kobo instead of Paperwhite for that reason.

I think Amazon took a bad and unwise choice.
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote