Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Instructions for a Factory Reset

Hi everyone - Kobo sent these instructions to me for a 'physical' factory reset and I thought they'd be helpful to those that have errors they cannot resolve through tech support.

You can do a 'menu' factory reset by going into Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset. The attached instructions seem to be a preferred method, or a method that must be used if you cannot turn on your Vox.

Remember that the Factory Reset erases all the data on your Vox and resets it to its factory state. Should be used only as a last resort -- or if you want to test its effectiveness like Taming did
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kobo Vox Factory Reset Instructions.pdf (180.8 KB, 7481 views)
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
Great - it did work for me! Thanks for posting!

I think timing is everything. You have to hold the "Volume +" button until you see the reset message. After that, my unit switched back to its original state, with Kobo account setup screen.

So it looks like we do have now the "full factory reset" route, in case the unit is bricked. I'd still keep an image of the internal card just in case (e.g., card can fail; or the device wouldn't even do the recovery).
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I think the reason it didn't work for me is that my Vox wasn't off and my battery may have been too low. Not to worry though, because the menu option worked just fine, anyway. Glad this worked for you!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Melba
Melba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thank you, you just saved my Kobo Vox`s life. I was getting so frustrated because I couldn`t turn it on i was ready to throw it out the window!! I loved it until this afternoon lol and now I think I might be able to love it again.
Melba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
mack_jigger
Kobo Vox Noob
mack_jigger began at the beginning.

Doesn't work for me, but the three icons at the bottom of the screen, the home, menu and the back arrow all have their LED's turned on. Power is full.

Don't know what to do
mack_jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Factory reset needs to be done from a turned off state and if those 3 lights are on, your unit is not turned off. Since you have given no indication of what problem you are having, did you try holding down the power button for ten seconds to turn the unit off?

[edit]: Oh, and this is the _vox_ forum, right?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
mack_jigger
Kobo Vox Noob
mack_jigger began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post

[edit]: Oh, and this is the _vox_ forum, right?
And since I have 3 lights at the bottom, isn't that the machine I have? I'm confused with all those names. I'm on (legalz) morphine and I get confused pretty easily .

Anyway, I pried the back cover off with a crowbar, pressed the reset button, which fixed everything, re-installed the cover with an hammer

With the help of Caliber or is it Calibre, what a good little piece of software it is, everything is cool.

Thank you.

ps: to the mods, I'm deeply sorry if I have offended some souls if I posted my little itsy-bitsy problem in the wrong place. I'll try to not make it again.
mack_jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I was just clarifying we were talking about the right device since that is not what was in your "Device" field when you originally posted.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote