Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #31
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
From one of the links...

Quote:
It was not clear, however, despite the fact that the library ebook vendor OverDrive is going to provide the platform, what the new venture might mean for libraries in the U.S. OverDrive decline to comment, and Mark Hutchinson, a representative for Pottermore, did not respond to an email seeking comment.
Wonder why all the mystery?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
The extra material is rumoured to be 18,000 words split over the series.

All respect to her for publishing them herself rather than just letting a publishing house take a huge cut from the profits. This could well prove to be a sizable fillip to those publishers who still wish to bury their heads in the sand over the revolutionary effect of ebooks on the whole model of people getting hold of reading matter.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #33
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some people just love to bash Ms. Rowling no matter WHAT she does. It's a no-win situation for her.
I heard she was on the dole when she wrote the first one, I bet she didn't tell them she was starting a multi-million pound business when she signed on.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #34
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
You know if they're DRM free, I might just pick them up to support DRM free eBooks. But if she added a short story to each one, she'd make a KILLING on these.

As long as they're reasonably priced, I am in.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #35
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I wonder if they're going to be sold DRM free because by bypassing Amazon and B&N and keeping more for herself she'll make a killing.

Perhaps even with piracy, she stands to make more off of direct sales of DRM free ePubs than sell through online stores and take her small cut.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Pirated ebook versions have existed for a long time. Those who are buying will buy anyway because they want legal versions. Why screw them over with DRM?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #37
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
You know if they're DRM free, I might just pick them up to support DRM free eBooks. But if she added a short story to each one, she'd make a KILLING on these.

As long as they're reasonably priced, I am in.
I really hope that these sell extremely well if they're DRM free. The publishing industry needs a swift smack upside the head by as many established and profitable writers as possible.

I've only read the first book and watched a couple of the movies, but I'll likely purchase the ebook collection as well (presuming they're not mind bogglingly expensive!)
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #38
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Good for her! Who wouldn't want to come up with an idea that would guarantee a lifetime of financial security?
I suspect that it is not so much the idea as all the (successful) work that went into the execution of the idea that guaranteed the lifetime of financial security.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #39
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I suspect that it is not so much the idea as all the (successful) work that went into the execution of the idea that guaranteed the lifetime of financial security.
Oh, I know! Sorry to have over simplified my argument.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #40
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I heard she was on the dole when she wrote the first one, I bet she didn't tell them she was starting a multi-million pound business when she signed on.

She was on social assistance yes but she had no idea that her book would be published let alone any subsequent ones, nevermind the notion that it would blossom into what it has become today.

Personally, I love that she gives back. Look at all the rock stars that left the UK in the 70's for example because of the high taxes. She hasn't. I read somewhere once that the taxes that she pays alone covers the cost of the very program that once helped her. That blew my mind.

More power to her! Go Jo!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #41
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
She was on social assistance yes but she had no idea that her book would be published let alone any subsequent ones, nevermind the notion that it would blossom into what it has become today.

Personally, I love that she gives back. Look at all the rock stars that left the UK in the 70's for example because of the high taxes. She hasn't. I read somewhere once that the taxes that she pays alone covers the cost of the very program that once helped her. That blew my mind.

More power to her! Go Jo!!
I'm pretty sure that mr ploppy was being tongue-in-cheek with his comment.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #42
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
I bought all the audiobook versions which are verbatim the novels, there would need to be a heck of a lot of 'bonus' material to justify the cost of them in ebook form. She was a decade too late in releasing ebook versions from the beginning. Hope she is happy with her billions and all her cats.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Anyone care to speculate on whether Kindle users will be able to sync to the last page read across multiple devices if the HP books are purchased from this special website? (Same question goes for other ereaders and apps that allow syncing).
There is no speculation needed. You currently can only use whispersync with Amazon purchased content.

Unless Amazon changes things. Which while nice probably wouldn't help me an classic owner. I haven't got an update for years. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #44
stickybuns
Evangelist

Ah, I wasn't sure if this was a situation where "OMG! It's J.K. Rowling!" and some deal was worked out with Amazon behind the scenes.

ETA: Isn't the Harry Potter shop going through OverDrive? I vaguely recall reading (but it may have been rumor/speculation) that library books would appear in one's Kindle account (rather than needing to be sideloaded). Hopefully that means that syncing is more likely.

Last edited by stickybuns; 06-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I will definitely buy them if they are DRM free.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote