Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Smile Cannot kill jobs that communicate with device -- Why?

Got my new Sony reader. Slapped in an SD card that had just been cleanly reformatted. Plugged into Calibre for the first time. Select a single PDF, and click "Send to SD card B".

Waiting....waiting....

Calibre job status: "Upload 1 books to device", "Working...", "Unavailable" progress, running time 13 minutes.

OK. Clearly something is wrong. It does not take this long to send this PDF file to an SD card. I've sent it before at a MUCH faster speed. The SD card is bad, maybe. Whatever. I'll swap it out and try something different.

Except I can't stop the job! When I try, I get the "Cannot kill jobs that communicate with device" error. Not once, but 4 times, which is particularly fun to click through.

Is there a reason why I can't stop a job through Calibre? I don't really want to just YANK the device because last time I did that with a non-responsive Calibre, it bricked a $60 micro SD card. That was an expensive lesson and I don't want to brick the Sony attached to this SD card that Calibre is talking to.

However, I really don't want to wait 45 minutes or however long it takes Calibre to decide to give up. WILL it decide to give up? Eventually? Maybe?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply quit calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Oh, thank you. That won't cause problems with abruptly cutting off communication with a device/card?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Oh, thank you. That won't cause problems with abruptly cutting off communication with a device/card?
Windows won't complete the Quit until it can do it gracefully.

Of coarse, that can cause problems when the problem won't end
Try and see what you get. At worst, you corrupt a file system.
Killing Calibre should never Physically damage the SDcard the Device is a HW buffer in between.
(Yanking the card is not supposed to... but I would pull the USB cable first. then power down the reader/device)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
ezzieyguywuf
ezzieyguywuf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've had this same problem, except when calibre was trying to email a document to my device. I even got the requisite 4 popups I had to click through. The problem in my situation was that I had incorrectly set up the smtp settings, so that portion of the job was getting stuck (it kept retrying it at longer and longer intervals I believe). Is this a bug that is being worked on, because I felt somewhat frustrated that I couldn't actually kill a job when I wanted to. I found myself doing a ps aux | grep calibre to see if maybe (by chance) it had branched the smtp job into a child process. Anywho, aside from this great program, it really is a treat to use.
ezzieyguywuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert