Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
cmcfalls2
cmcfalls2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cracked Screen?

Greetings,

I have been lurking this forum for a couple of months, doing research and getting information before I received a Kindle from my wife for our wedding anniversary.

Now, less than 6 weeks later, I think my screen might be cracked. I keep my Kindle in a hard-backed case, so it's odd that anything would have come in contact with the screen.

But, about a week ago, a small speck appeared on the top of the screen, almost at the edge. It looked to me like a "dead pixel" on a TV, except it stayed on the screen even when the device is off. Now, that small speck has grown (still pretty small though) and has begun spider webbing out a bit. It's still only about the size of the letter "o" where it says amazon kindle. And, the good thing is that it is actually ABOVE where any letters are when I am reading a book, so it doesn't interfere.

I actually have a few questions. First, is this a cracked screen issue? If it is, it would have to have been something very small and pointed to make such a small crack. Which is VERY odd since I keep it in a case and have never dropped it or placed in into a backpack. To my knowledge, nothing has come in contact with the screen.

Second, if this is a cracked screen, will this continue to spread out and get larger? It seems like it would with repetitive page turning. But, I know that e-ink does not "leak," so I do not know if it will spread.

And, lastly, since it has been kept in a case, and it so minute that it might be an internal flaw, do you think this is covered under any warranty? The thing is less than 6 weeks old! I know I'm stretching on that, but I don't want to have to deal with this growing dead pixel if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help!
cmcfalls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I am not an expert, but it sounds like a cracked screen to me and should be covered by the warranty. Ring Kindle CS immediately!
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Ditto. Contact KINDLE Customer Service, not general Amazon CS. Odds are excellent they will replace immediately with a new device.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
^^ what they said. Here's the phone number for Kindle: 1-866-321-8851

...and welcome to the group
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
cmcfalls2
cmcfalls2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Awesome! I just got off the phone with them and a new one is on it's way. By far the best customer service experience I've ever had. Thanks for the help!
cmcfalls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
See? Told ya! And postage FREE both ways! Kindle CS R O C K S.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote