Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Why no simple battery replacement......

Could anyone tell me why consumers are considered intelligent enough to change batteries on a 'phone, remote, radio, torch and 100's of other gadgets - sorry, technical aids and devices - yet not a reader ? And a Sony reader in particular ?

(I mean, a torch sometimes has more than one to cope with !)

And I don't think any battery has inherent dangers that make it dangerous for users to handle, carefully, like a 'phone, remote, rad....................et al.

And I'm sure designers are clever enough to design a flap or panel for access - much like a 'phone, remote - oh, you know.

I can't think of any other good reason - can anyone else ?

I'm sure it's like the wall charger, nothing to do with money.........

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

I'm sure it's like the wall charger, nothing to do with money.........

I am sure it has all to do with money! Now you have to send it in and pay for the replacement. But it was not always like this, 505er had consumer replaceable batteries. Anyway, I like it better this way. The device is solid. Battery will last for 400 recharging cycles which equates a live of about 8 years. So why should I keep up with a sliding backside, when I won't have to?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Poppea is correct however there is a technological consideration here. I am told that rechargeable batteries do better and last longer when they remain plugged into the device that they are supplying. If you are concerned with that I believe that there are other readers that have changeable batteries. My blackberry storm has a proprietary battery but one that I can swap out at any time I so chose.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
There is an actual reason they could use because Lithium polymer batteries are regarded as toxic waste for special disposal and the only way to ensure this, is return to manufacturer... this type of thing is currently being considered as being made a legal requirement in the EU for all electronic equipment... can't trust the user to safely dispose so make it the manufacturer's responsibility...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If you are concerned with that I believe that there are other readers that have changeable batteries. My blackberry storm has a proprietary battery but one that I can swap out at any time I so chose.

Babe, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you, but your blackberry is no reader, no matter how much you read on it!
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
I agree it's all about money, but not in the way Poppaea proposes. It's not about service income, it's about sales income.

Having designed enclosures for "technical aids" before, I can say it's an engineering tradeoff between user requirements (size/features/speed/charge time).

To create a service panel that works reliably, one has to compartmentalize the area (you rarely see the guts of your cellphone or TV remote when you open the battery compartment). The space for the internal compartment walls and door come out of the space budgets for screen, mainboard, connectors, battery and buttons.

To put one in, you'll end up with a bulkier, less responsive, shorter life device -- but what do you gain? A high quality rechargeable battery's lifespan typically outlasts the device's expected lifespan. End users may like a battery compartment, but few will use it and very few weigh maintainability into their purchase decisions.

For the PRS series, dimensions and performance are optimized at the cost of user maintainability. In this case, to slip in a battery compartment would be an EXPENSIVE design feature. It may not drive up costs, but the loss in performance WILL drive down sales.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Wow, Dan! Great explanation. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile Hurrumph....................

Poppaea ...................

" So why should I keep up with a sliding backside, when I won't have to? "

Are you quite sure you meant to say that !!

Last edited by carpetmojo; 04-09-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Missed a bit
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Poppaea ...................

" So why should I keep up with a sliding backside, when I won't have to? "

Are you quite sure you meant to say that !!

Even though I am known for saying cheeky things all the time, this one was unintentionally.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard

Passing on very swiftly.........................

Yes, thanks Dan, that's a very interesting viewpoint, i.e. you've been there done it, as it were.

It looks like if want a sexy looking, feature-laden device, it's a factory-fit, should it outlive the package (or the user!).

Although I have seen the 600 etc.. series has , um, been DIY'd successfully, but I don't know if the 3/650 range has been "fettled" in this way - yet.

I suspect getting the battery might be a stumbling block ?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

carpetmojo, could you please tell me what for heavens sake makes you want to change a brand new battery that will go for the next couple of years???????
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
And you guys just thought I was another pretty face!

I imagine the x50's disassemble in the same manner as the 600, I but could be wrong. you probably could replace the battery with a little care and warranty voiding -- then again it'll probably be out of warranty before you'd need it.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
That may be pushing it a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
And you guys just thought I was another pretty face!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
carpetmojo, could you please tell me what for heavens sake makes you want to change a brand new battery that will go for the next couple of years???????
I don't plan too - cor, not that organised - I just thought it was a slightly strange situation, and one that seems to be increasingly the case with gadgets.
I have a brilliant little pocket DAB radio with the same (to me) disadvantage, and my trusty Clip+ mp3.
I hate " Black Box " engineering really, I'm just a born tinkerer I suppose !

Mind you, I expect they'd just bump up the price of batteries.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
J..M
J..M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.J..M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.J..M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.J..M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If you look on You Tube there is a video on how to change the batt & suggests where to buy a new one
J..M is offline   Reply With Quote